Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283903 times)

Si

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #825 on: 03 May, 2010, 10:08:17 am »
We just re-watched The Girl in the Fireplace (another story of the Doctor meeting a girl when she's seven, and returning when she's in her twenties - I'd not noticed that repeated theme before). One striking difference between the old and new series is the quality of the production. The editing, production and music of TGitFP seemed far slicker than in recent episodes.

That is my favourite Dr Who episode of all time. It was just wonderful.  :thumbsup:

+1

-

Thinking about the new series, as the Doc said at the end of the last episode, it does seem to be all about Amy.  It wouldn't surprise me if she'd had more  'air-time' than the doc.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #826 on: 03 May, 2010, 12:26:58 pm »
A little disappointing after last week (which was bloody great).

Ending are always rubbish - after all the tension, some arbitrary-sounding pseudo-science saves the day. Twas ever thus.

But PartI was genuinely creepy, and I wonder if they lost that when we walked away from the TV for a week.

Not bad, just not great.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #827 on: 04 May, 2010, 01:12:27 pm »
Has anyone mentioned Ace yet?  Fit and fond of blowing shit up.

Me.  Regularly.

When I was a much smaller Charlotte, she was something of a role-model  :D

Random Ace fact - she came from Perivale, wot is just up the road from hereabouts.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #828 on: 05 May, 2010, 11:14:02 am »
A little disappointing after last week (which was bloody great).

Ending are always rubbish - after all the tension, some arbitrary-sounding pseudo-science saves the day. Twas ever thus.
Looks like Old Man Pratchett may agree with me!

Terry Pratchett attacks 'ludicrous' Doctor Who

(actually a Grauniad interview, but their site's DNR)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #829 on: 08 May, 2010, 11:28:06 pm »
What a rubbish episode! I found myself utterly bored throughout. I don't agree with Stephen Fry that Matt Smith was "serious and dignified". Self-conscious, and just a bit naff, more like. 

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #830 on: 08 May, 2010, 11:33:36 pm »
"Fish from space have never been so buxom." :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #831 on: 08 May, 2010, 11:36:07 pm »
Yes I agree it had its laughs but it was dull.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #832 on: 08 May, 2010, 11:42:47 pm »
And next week, Amy Pod does trailer trash.

Looks like a bit of a psychological one...

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #833 on: 09 May, 2010, 12:11:21 am »
What a rubbish episode!

I loved it!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #834 on: 09 May, 2010, 09:14:32 am »
How come the Doc has got his Harris Tweed jacket back this week ?  I'm sure I remember him sacrificing it last week in order to escape the clutches of a statue.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #835 on: 09 May, 2010, 10:42:35 am »
How come the Doc has got his Harris Tweed jacket back this week ?  I'm sure I remember him sacrificing it last week in order to escape the clutches of a statue.

I should imagine he has a boatload of them in one of his many wardrobes.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #836 on: 09 May, 2010, 01:10:12 pm »

I should imagine he has a boatload of them in one of his many wardrobes.

The weavers of Harris will be v pleased to hear that  :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #837 on: 09 May, 2010, 01:11:23 pm »
What a rubbish episode!

I loved it!

d.

I must have missed something. Why did you love it?  ???

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #838 on: 09 May, 2010, 01:21:52 pm »
It's possible that the Tennant era Dr Who is seen as a golden age, when in reality, that had some duff moments, just like Matt Smith seems to.  Don't forget it's not real and is just entertainment.

Possibly at times they cut corners to try and fit things into 45 minutes (such as what happened to the things left in the canals at the end), but overall it's OK.  I thought it was a nice touch showing a photo of William Hartnell on the "bus pass" when the Dr was stopped by the official shortly after they arrived in Venice.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #839 on: 09 May, 2010, 02:58:40 pm »
What a rubbish episode!

I loved it!

d.

Completely underwhelmed by it. What is going on?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #840 on: 09 May, 2010, 03:15:00 pm »
I like Matt Smith as the Doctor, I quite like Amy, but these last few episodes have been dull, dull, dull.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #841 on: 09 May, 2010, 03:22:15 pm »
I do think the (poorer than usual) production and music has a lot to do with it. Yesterday's episode seemed to have a lot of characters just walking around, shot from a distance, which just looked daft. As for characters, I don't mind the way Matt Smith is playing the Doctor, but Amy is just too cool4skool, and annoys me.

I will keep watching, however! 

« Reply #842 on: 09 May, 2010, 04:38:36 pm »
I thought it was a bit shit. (I thought the last two were really good BTW) I think Matt Smith is great and the thought of Amy can supply me with enough wank fodder for months! But I never really like it when any Doctor goes back in time. It's irritating and doesn't really work IMO. I did pay attention during history lessons at school, so the idea that the Doctor had something to do with all that stuff is just a bit rubbish. Maybe the next episode will be good, but I'm not happy that Amy's fella is on board. He's a bit shit and he can fuck off 'cos SHE'S MINE!!!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Si

« Reply #843 on: 09 May, 2010, 04:40:29 pm »
So, Dr gets attractive new sidekick.  She leaves her boyfriend behind, the boyfriend being a bit of a plank.  Then boyfriend, continuing to bumble around, gets caught up in an adventure and gets all jealous of the Dr....haven't we been there before with Rose and Mickey?

Also, why all the hassle of sneaking Ami in so that she could unlock the tunnel for them, when on the Dr's next visit he just walks straight in and starts messing with the 'throne' thing?  And why did sunlight only affect the fish people when it was beneficial to the plot?  And why did the fish people look more like insects? And why am I turning into Comic Book Guy?

Next week, the Dr has to decide if it's a dream....Neil Gaiman then.

« Reply #844 on: 09 May, 2010, 04:43:39 pm »
Also, why all the hassle of sneaking Ami in so that she could unlock the tunnel for them, when on the Dr's next visit he just walks straight in and starts messing with the 'throne' thing?  And why did sunlight only affect the fish people when it was beneficial to the plot?  And why did the fish people look more like insects? And why am I turning into Comic Book Guy?

All completely plausible. I mean, nobody seems bothered about an old phone box being a time machine!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #845 on: 09 May, 2010, 05:55:42 pm »
Well,Ididnotreally like thisone. Just seemed ratherailly,even more so than normal.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #846 on: 10 May, 2010, 03:00:54 pm »
GREAT humour, nice use of vampires, but another odd plot with no sensible ending.

6/10, watchable.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #847 on: 10 May, 2010, 03:07:07 pm »
I liked it.  There have been better episodes this season, but it was great entertainment curled up in bed of a Sunday night with the laptop and a cup of tea.

Mind you, I really do think it's getting much darker of late.  Gothik Horror aplenty and more to come by the look of it.

Perhaps as kids get more and more savvy, to keep in step with the times, it all has to get much more scary to get the buggers hiding behind the sofa like wot we all used to?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #848 on: 10 May, 2010, 03:13:54 pm »

I think perhaps my enjoyment of it was heightened by watching it with my wife and 12yo son, both of whom were cowering on the sofa, terrified.

It's easy to pick holes in the plot and/or criticise it for lack of originality, but I prefer to let myself be swept along by it and take it for what it is. Which is easier to do when you have performers with the style and charisma of Matt Smith and Karen Gillan in the lead roles.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #849 on: 10 May, 2010, 03:15:28 pm »
GREAT humour, nice use of vampires, but another odd plot with no sensible ending.

6/10, watchable.

A bit rubbish really. I'm rather with Pratchitt. I know the doctor is brilliant but it would be nice to have some sort of logic/plotline to support his last mininute 'rabbit out of hat' solutions. As is its getting a bit repetitive...

<Nitpicking Mode>

Why at the end did the queen fish take some of her kit off when it was generated by a perception filter? Why not simply turn the PF off? Come to that, why was she and the other girlie fishes in any danger from the male fishes?

Where was she when the doctor was sabotaging her throne and the thing on the roof?

Why were the fishes sometimes affected by daylight and sometimes not?

</NM>