Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283833 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #900 on: 29 May, 2010, 10:40:44 pm »
Probably safer then Midsomer.... various calculations suggest that the number of murders actually exceeds tha population of the village!

In similar vein the Local Authoritah in Ystad are getting a bit fed up with Wallander, as it appears to be only slightly less full of violent DETH than Baghdad.  The last murder in the area was actually in 1999.
A couple of years ago, the Torygraph pointed out that whereas Lewis had solved 8 murders in Oxford in a single month, the actual number in the previous year was - one. Which is about average, for Oxford. The last time a member of the university was killed was in 1991.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #901 on: 30 May, 2010, 12:11:11 pm »
You know, I actually think this series is starting to grow on me.

Yeah, definitely some nice bits in this weeks episode.

Will we get to see the Earth in 1000 years time, when these Silurians wake up ? (I doubt it, but it could make for a good episode).

What is going to happen with Rory?  They've gone a long way to keep him in the series, so I'm sure something clever will happen to keep him around.

I like the bit of the Tardis in the crack, obviously there's an important story there.  How come if anyone else gets touched by the light, they're wiped out of existence, but the Doctor can shove him arm into it, and nothing happens to him.

This episode seemed a little but too smug about the whole "Don't kill" anyone bit, and Ambrose being involved in Alaya's death.  The more recent Doctors can be rather too preachy about things like this.  From the internal storyline point of view, it's easy to be like that, when you're 900 years old, and always seem to be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat (when those around you are being regularly killed).  From an external storywriters point of view, we get enough of this moralistic crap from USA sitcoms, I don't need it laid on quite so thick in UK programmes as well.
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #902 on: 30 May, 2010, 01:12:20 pm »
What is going to happen with Rory?  They've gone a long way to keep him in the series, so I'm sure something clever will happen to keep him around.

I've been pondering that. It's a brave move to kill off a significant character like that - I was inconsolable for days when Adric died.

But the only way they could bring him back is with yet another of those tiresome unravelling time devices that they seem to have become so fond of, and I really hope they don't do that again, because they are LAME.

How come if anyone else gets touched by the light, they're wiped out of existence, but the Doctor can shove him arm into it, and nothing happens to him.

Yes, that's another thing that bothered me. But sod it, I thought it was a really good episode so I can excuse the odd continuity glitch like that. And Stephen Moore was in it, which is always enough to keep me happy.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #903 on: 30 May, 2010, 02:14:42 pm »

I just had a check on IMDB, and he is listed in the cast for a later episode, so he's definitely back in some form.

Si

« Reply #904 on: 30 May, 2010, 04:59:47 pm »
I was inconsolable for days when Adric died.

eh? we had a party to celebrate - he was even more annoying than having Bonnie Langford as a companion.

As for Rory, yep, I saw an interview with him the other day where he was talking about filming episodes later in the series. 

Regarding the current series - they could save a lot of time, effort and expense if the tardis was just to materialize, doc steps out, waves sonic screwdriver around, everything becomes magically fixed, and off goes the doc to the next adventure.  Ah, no, wait, that's what happened isn't it?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #905 on: 30 May, 2010, 06:25:50 pm »
When are we going to be told why Amy don't remember anything that happened before, with the old doctor and the two other side kicks ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

citoyen

« Reply #906 on: 30 May, 2010, 06:33:18 pm »

eh? we had a party to celebrate - he was even more annoying than having Bonnie Langford as a companion.

Yes, OK, I already know I'm the only Doctor Who fan ever who actually liked Adric. And I was only 10 years old when he died so didn't know any better.  :(

Regarding the current series - they could save a lot of time, effort and expense if the tardis was just to materialize, doc steps out, waves sonic screwdriver around, everything becomes magically fixed, and off goes the doc to the next adventure.  Ah, no, wait, that's what happened isn't it?

;D

Yes, the sonic screwdriver has become rather too powerful. I don't recall Tom Baker or Peter Davison using it half so often, nor to perform quite so many different tasks as the recent Doctors use it. Disarming the Silurians like that was just a wee bit too convenient.

It has indeed become more like a magic wand. Maybe that's down to the pervasive influence on popular culture of Harry Potter.

d.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #907 on: 30 May, 2010, 07:02:17 pm »
Yes, the sonic screwdriver has become rather too powerful. I don't recall Tom Baker or Peter Davison using it half so often, nor to perform quite so many different tasks as the recent Doctors use it. Disarming the Silurians like that was just a wee bit too convenient.

I concur. It was also cooler when it was blue. Green LEDs don't cut it these days.

« Reply #908 on: 30 May, 2010, 07:18:21 pm »
That's the trouble with any too powerful technology, you start having to invent reasons why you can't use it in all scenarios, otherwise you loose the twists and turns of a storyline which makes it interesting.

The sonic screwdriver seems to have gotten a bit like that, but rather than invent artificial limitations, they just ignore using it, and leave us wondering why. :-\

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #909 on: 30 May, 2010, 09:42:14 pm »
Just watched it. Eep. Is the TARDIS going to die in the crack?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #910 on: 30 May, 2010, 10:11:28 pm »
Not to mention that the Doctor said he'd destroyed the original Sonic works back in the Empty Child / Doctor Dances eps with Christopher Eccleston (Cap'n Jack had a weapon from the same place, but the Dr said there wouldn't be any more).  When the TARDIS produced a new one, my first reaction was "Bollocks..."
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #911 on: 30 May, 2010, 11:22:36 pm »
The Sonic Screwdriver has a key role somewhere as it is a link between the Doctor and River Song?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #912 on: 31 May, 2010, 01:07:49 pm »
And Stephen Moore was in it, which is always enough to keep me happy.

Hitchhikers Crossover alert!

I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Si

« Reply #913 on: 31 May, 2010, 05:24:50 pm »

Yes, OK, I already know I'm the only Doctor Who fan ever who actually liked Adric. And I was only 10 years old when he died so didn't know any better.  :(

Don't worry, you are not alone - I believe that he was Flying Money's hero too  :thumbsup:

« Reply #914 on: 02 June, 2010, 10:01:55 am »
The Sonic Screwdriver has a key role somewhere as it is a link between the Doctor and River Song?

Obviously River Song kills the doctor. I reckon she uses the sonic screwdriver to take control of the tardis and blow it up, to prevent the end of the universe (which is going to be brought about by The Master, who transferred his consciousness into the woman with the red dress before shooting himself).
The Doctor is trapped in the Tardis, and tells River to blow it up anyway. Amy is elsewhere and survives, but when the tardis is destroyed it removes the crack, and 'undoes' the effects of the crack. She remembers Rory, but he wouldn't have died without the crack taking him. This creates a space time paradox that the universe can't sustain, so it recreates the Doctor to balance the space time continum, and Rory conveniently pops out, unharmed and bewilderedly asking what is going on.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #915 on: 05 June, 2010, 07:31:14 pm »
I loved tonight's episode. It made me weep! And 66.66666% of the cast were ginger.  :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #916 on: 05 June, 2010, 07:35:06 pm »
I loved tonight's episode. It made me weep!

+1, to both of those.

Very good, inna Richard Curtis stylee.  Some very nice little jokes too :)

citoyen

« Reply #917 on: 05 June, 2010, 07:38:37 pm »
And Bill Nighy!

d.

« Reply #918 on: 05 June, 2010, 07:43:33 pm »
Cor-dear, what a load of sentimental tosh! ;)

[edit] but I only really watched the last 20 minutes, whilst eating my dinner.

« Reply #919 on: 05 June, 2010, 07:53:23 pm »
I thought that episode was complete bollocks. Yes, I got all the gags, but it was still shit.

If it wasn't for Amy's hotness I would probably have thrown something at the TV.....

Edit: What the fuck was going on with van Gogh's accent?!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #920 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:01:24 pm »

I assumed that it was a joke, having a Scottish actor for Vincent so he could ask Amy if she was also Dutch.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #921 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:08:39 pm »

I assumed that it was a joke, having a Scottish actor for Vincent so he could ask Amy if she was also Dutch.
It was a bit like the Pompeii episode in series 4, where Welsh = Latin.  Look you.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #922 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:25:10 pm »
Well, that was like every Richard Curtis film - mawkish, sentimental, ridiculous but soppily affecting.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

« Reply #923 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:46:17 pm »
+1

It was really irritating in places but did the job for me. All felt abig rushed though - the story needed breathing space. Should have been a two-parter.

d.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #924 on: 05 June, 2010, 09:00:04 pm »
Didn't like that. OK, Curtis wrote Blackadder, but everything else he's done is tainted with that church-going cloying sentimentality. And we certainly didn't need a sub-Coldplay soundtrack. I looked at my watch, realised there was ten minutes to go and thought "oh no, he's going to take Van Gogh to the gallery to show him he is finally appreciated..."

Next week we get James Cordern playing himself.  ::-)