Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283769 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #975 on: 21 June, 2010, 11:22:21 am »
I was half expecting the Pandorica to open and reveal the interior of the TARDIS that River Song was trying to get out of.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #976 on: 23 June, 2010, 08:40:12 pm »
I expected it to contain the Master
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #977 on: 23 June, 2010, 08:42:41 pm »
I expected it to contain the Master

That was my bet, with a side order of River Song being The Master.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #978 on: 23 June, 2010, 09:02:56 pm »
... (I also wondered if his Daughter could reappear, since she's sort of in the same category, basically being a clone of him). ...
I've a suspicion that River Song's his daughter. She knows the Dr's true name and can operate the Tardis. Being Timelordish, she may have regenerated.

Anyhoo, a cracking episode; the best so far excepting the first of the Weeping Angles ones.
    Nac Mac Feegle, wha hae!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #979 on: 23 June, 2010, 09:04:15 pm »
Oh, it would be really creepy if she's his daughter - she's too flirtatious!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #980 on: 23 June, 2010, 09:08:22 pm »
I also expected it to be The Master. There are so many loose ends that they are going to have to be super clever to tie them all up. I doubt they will, but I don't mind as I've enjoyed this series (for the most part) very much  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #981 on: 24 June, 2010, 07:48:42 pm »
Oh, it would be really creepy if she's his daughter - she's too flirtatious!
I'd have said familiar.

At the end of 'The Doctor's Daughter' I initially thought that there'd be a spin-off series, but not only hasn't it happened, there aren't even any rumours of one. I find it strange that they created a daughter and haven't had her back in another story. It seems a significant character.

The hints that River is the Doc's future wife could be deliberate misdirection. Also, River has a very mischevious look when she replies 'spoilers' when she's asked.

I doubt that we'll find out on Saturday.
    Nac Mac Feegle, wha hae!

« Reply #982 on: 24 June, 2010, 08:02:52 pm »
I doubt that we'll find out on Saturday.

Yep, I don't think who or what River is will come out any time soon, it would spoil all the random little comments and things that are spattered around in the conversations she has with the Doctor.

Saturday will just be the Doctor (or Amy or Rory) pulling a rabbit out of a hat to somehow foil the Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans etc, assuming Amy somehow survives or Rory manages to throw off the control of the Nestene Consciousness.

I suppose if the Tardis doesn't explode and create all the cracks in time, then anyone who disappeared because of the cracks wont, and could "reappear".  This could bring Rory back.  It would also bring all the Weeping Angels back, but I suspect that little story twist would be ignored!
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #983 on: 24 June, 2010, 08:16:18 pm »
Steven Moffat gas already said that the River Song mystery won't be resolved in this series because he doesn't know himself yet. He's deliberately keeping that open for future as-yet-unwritten stories to resolve. The rabbit-out-of-hat solution seems most likely. I just hope it's something a bit more inventive than the old it-never-happened chestnut. What is this - Dallas?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #984 on: 24 June, 2010, 09:12:30 pm »
Well I just meant "rabbit out of a hat" as whatever mysterious mechanism they use to get out of what currently appears to be an impossible situation.  ie the Doctor locked in the Pandorica, Amy dead (seemingly), and Rory just an automaton of the Nestene Consciousness.

Possibly River could come to the rescue, but I assume that she's stuck and about to cause the Tardis to explode, unless the Doctor somehow escapes and stops her, so she can't really rescue him.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #985 on: 25 June, 2010, 07:42:34 am »
It's all going a bit 1930s Flash Gordon isn't it?

Everyone is captured or dead, but next episode the Doctor will actually jump out of the truck just before it goes over the edge get out his screwdriver just before the Pandorica closes, press a button on it and escape, just leaving him to sort out the Tardis by some other deus-ex-machina that could not have been predicted.

It's still good fun though.

« Reply #986 on: 25 June, 2010, 07:57:11 am »
My theory on the conclusion yesterday - the whole series has been set in an imagined universe (or parallel universe). In the first episode I thought the Tardis looked odd - as if it was made of plywood freshly painted with blue emulsion paint - I still think this.
Many things in the series have revolved around the objects from Amy's childhood - raggedy Doctor doll, Romans book, Pandoras box - OK that was explained as the background for the trap being created at Stonehenge.

I wonder if the whole thing is set inside Amy's imagination, and the cracks are the real universe getting in.

We see the picture of Rory and Amy as strippograms - Rory as a Roman soldier is explained, but no reason yet why Amy was a policewoman. Can anyone think this might be significant?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #987 on: 25 June, 2010, 08:40:08 am »
You're probably right - the Matrix is probably the only major SF source they haven't ripped off yet!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #988 on: 25 June, 2010, 08:41:47 am »
It's Life On Mars! Amy is really John Simm/The Master/Sam Tyler!  ;D

But that still doesn't explain why she'd never seen a Dalek before...

d.

« Reply #989 on: 25 June, 2010, 09:31:28 am »

We see the picture of Rory and Amy as strippograms - Rory as a Roman soldier is explained, but no reason yet why Amy was a policewoman.

She did comment that it was the policewoman or the french maid outfit. As (almost? I don't remember if Donna did) every other companion since it was brought back on has ended up in a maids outfit of some sort I thought that this was just a nod to that.

« Reply #990 on: 26 June, 2010, 03:32:32 pm »
I wonder if there's any significance re the Roman stuff that in ep 11 Amy stated their location as Colchester?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #991 on: 26 June, 2010, 07:00:26 pm »
Did that make any sense to anyone?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #992 on: 26 June, 2010, 07:04:24 pm »
Not me.
Wibbley-Wobbley, Timey-Wimey.
Amy looked lovely in her wedding dress though.
When the DVD comes out, I'll see if the director's commentary explains it at all.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #993 on: 26 June, 2010, 07:06:32 pm »
Nor me. Too much jumping around in time, none the wiser about Amy/Amelia's memories and existence, and all we got about River Song was a tease about being the Doctor's wife.

Oh well, looking forward to the Christmas special!

« Reply #994 on: 26 June, 2010, 07:22:32 pm »
I told you! I told you the Tardis looked too new - like plywood painted with blue emulsion.
Something borrowed, something new, something old, something blue.

The Doctor said earlier - he borrowed the Tardis. It is very old - and now it is new, and blue.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #995 on: 26 June, 2010, 07:24:18 pm »
It made perfect sense in the context of the series but not so much in the context of reality. I was surprised Amy remembered and brought her family back. I thought she'd sacrifice her family to concentrate on remembering the Doctor to bring him back, but this way was better.

It's too long til Christmas!

citoyen

« Reply #996 on: 26 June, 2010, 07:42:35 pm »
Yeah, she brought her family back... and then ditched them almost immediately!

I think I'd need to watch the whole series again a couple of times before I fully understood everything that happened in the last episode, but I still thought it was totally and utterly brilliant.

Bravo, Mr Moffat!

d.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #997 on: 26 June, 2010, 08:54:09 pm »
I still don't get it. Is Amy's life (& family) real? What about Amelia living on her own in that big house? What about the Tardis-shaped book and the Raggedy Doctor doll? Is Rory an Auton? How come we didn't see Amy's family until now? Why did River Song walk past the window, smirking?

I have to say I felt rather uneasy at the sight of Amy pleading for the Doctor to "kiss the bride" while the hapless Rory looked on.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #998 on: 26 June, 2010, 09:26:21 pm »
I still don't get it. Is Amy's life (& family) real? What about Amelia living on her own in that big house? What about the Tardis-shaped book and the Raggedy Doctor doll? Is Rory an Auton? How come we didn't see Amy's family until now? Why did River Song walk past the window, smirking?

I have to say I felt rather uneasy at the sight of Amy pleading for the Doctor to "kiss the bride" while the hapless Rory looked on.
Amy's family were real, but they'd been sucked out through the crack in the wall of her bedroom and therefore never existed and she'd forgotten them, like she forgot Rory when he went through the crack. That's why she was living on her own in the big house - the rest of her family had gone. Rory was a Nestene consciousness living plastic, but he's real again now. We didn't see Amy's family because they'd gone through the crack and she restored them when the TARDIS made the second big bang by remembering them. River Song walked past the window because she'd left the book for Amy at the wedding reception to trigger Amy's memories so the Doctor could come back.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #999 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:00:43 pm »
Thanks for that Kirst... not totally convinced though!

Still, an enjoyable episode, but didn't quite live up to what was promised in part 1.