Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283844 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #150 on: 08 June, 2008, 11:32:44 pm »
Great pair of episodes :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #151 on: 09 June, 2008, 07:49:15 am »
Excellent story!

Did you motice that the good prof had three kids to tuck in at the end? The two 'generic' ones and the Doc's daughter, perhaps? Spoilers!

gonzo

« Reply #152 on: 09 June, 2008, 08:14:54 am »
I assumed that the 3rd one was the girl in charge of it all.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #153 on: 09 June, 2008, 09:30:54 am »
Yeah, the third kid was CAL.

I hope you all noted the reference to 2001...

« Reply #154 on: 14 June, 2008, 09:36:17 pm »
Well, that episode was a bit crap.  No real explanation, just a lot of people getting excessively paranoid and scared, and frankly I couldn't relate to any of them.  Largely I found them to be a bunch of unpleasant arseholes.

Hopefully next weeks episode should be better, since it looks like we get Rose and Donna, since Catherine Tate has improved vastly, and I actually quite missed her this week.
Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #155 on: 14 June, 2008, 09:57:58 pm »
Well, that episode was a bit crap.  No real explanation, just a lot of people getting excessively paranoid and scared, and frankly I couldn't relate to any of them.  Largely I found them to be a bunch of unpleasant arseholes.

Hopefully next weeks episode should be better, since it looks like we get Rose and Donna, since Catherine Tate has improved vastly, and I actually quite missed her this week.

I think this was the Dr Who lite economy episode.

Another one in the genre of invisible monsters that you can't see, but not as good as the sun one.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #156 on: 14 June, 2008, 10:54:55 pm »

I think that was the point - when faced with a difficult situation, human beings can show capacity for both great nobility and great evil.  Also, the Doctor doesn't always just show up and save the day.  He doesn't always know; he isn't infallible.

I thought it was really good.  :)

« Reply #157 on: 14 June, 2008, 11:01:58 pm »

I think that was the point - when faced with a difficult situation, human beings can show capacity for both great nobility and great evil.  Also, the Doctor doesn't always just show up and save the day.  He doesn't always know; he isn't infallible.

I thought it was really good.  :)

It smacked of "We can't afford to do lots of special effects so we'll stand everyone in one place and you'll all have to imagine there's a monster....". ::-)

EDIT - Bah, just noticed David got there first!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #158 on: 14 June, 2008, 11:07:51 pm »
Mrs W thought it was good, I thought WTF. Must be a woman thing?

« Reply #159 on: 14 June, 2008, 11:09:59 pm »
Pretty poor.  Seems like this was the one in each series they've got to make for £x at the most.  :(  Bring on Rose Tyler next week.  :)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #160 on: 15 June, 2008, 12:06:26 am »
No it's not a woman thing - my 6-yr old niece thought it was crap as well. No monsters!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #161 on: 15 June, 2008, 02:15:07 am »
I quite liked it, but generally was down on standards.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

gonzo

« Reply #162 on: 15 June, 2008, 08:17:46 am »
I thought it was one of Russel T Davis' better ones.

Next week's will be rubbish. It's set on Earth again with the "everyone's going to die" scenario again. I ceased to identify with any of these people the moment that the entire population got involved with aliens.

Oh yeah, it'll be a 2 or 3 parter too. Bah humbug!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #163 on: 15 June, 2008, 11:48:16 am »
I really liked last night's - it was about the performances rather than the effects and the monsters.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #164 on: 15 June, 2008, 01:16:13 pm »
I thought that the script was excellent and built a sense of paranoia and claustrophobia very well, but unfortunately the set was terrible. They could have tried a little harder to make it look less like a section of a 1970s commercial passenger jet...

Si

« Reply #165 on: 16 June, 2008, 10:37:27 am »
I liked it, thought it was the second best of a fairly poor series.

cometworm

« Reply #166 on: 16 June, 2008, 01:04:39 pm »
Just watched the most recent episode on iPlayer, and the first thing that came to mind was "drama school" ... not my favourite episode.

Given that the trailer mentioned something about Donna dying, I'm (still) ever-hopeful we'll be rid of her soon. But I'm not betting the ranch on it.

« Reply #167 on: 16 June, 2008, 01:49:48 pm »
I thought the tension built quite well - had our two (7&10) gripped, and hiding behind cushions.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #168 on: 16 June, 2008, 01:58:49 pm »
Pcolbeck junior (11) was watching it on iPlayer last night as we had been at a BBQ on Saturday. He came and got me to watch it with him as it was beginning to spook him.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #169 on: 17 June, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »
Pcolbeck junior (11) was watching it on iPlayer last night as we had been at a BBQ on Saturday. He came and got me to watch it with him as it was beginning to spook him.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #170 on: 18 June, 2008, 09:35:04 am »
 ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #171 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:12:13 pm »
Anyone else notice that when the video screens return live as the creature arrives (16:36) it shows Rose shouting "Doctor"

« Reply #172 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:31:16 pm »
Anyone else notice that when the video screens return live as the creature arrives (16:36) it shows Rose shouting "Doctor"

Yeah, I wondered what that meant.  I guess will find out shortly.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #173 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:11:36 pm »
I thought that the script was excellent and built a sense of paranoia and claustrophobia very well, but unfortunately the set was terrible. They could have tried a little harder to make it look less like a section of a 1970s commercial passenger jet...

The future ain't what it used to be.  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #174 on: 20 June, 2008, 09:40:04 am »

Yeah, I wondered what that meant.  I guess will find out shortly.

Well, she's been trying to contact him for several episodes now... I guess it is difficult from another universe!