Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283833 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #175 on: 21 June, 2008, 08:07:25 am »
I enjoyed it and thought the absence of monsters was more than made up for by the tension.

H

Aged 45.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #176 on: 21 June, 2008, 07:29:02 pm »
Three words: absolutely f*cking brilliant!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #177 on: 21 June, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »
Oh yes!!

A subtle dig at our overweight cousins - the fat's flying in America.  ;D

Plus the cloister bell ringing.   :o
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #178 on: 21 June, 2008, 09:07:58 pm »
Who's afraid of the big Bad Wolf?

Wonderful episode if slow in places and not a small nod to the classic "Wonderful Life"

Next week looks like a "Who's Who" of the last few years.

« Reply #179 on: 21 June, 2008, 09:18:49 pm »
Now, that was much better, although so many questions have been raised!  Who was the woman with the beastie, the return of Bad Wolf, more mention of bees (albeit in another universe), how did Rose get to know so much, and for that matter, how did she get there?

It looks like we get Torchwood mixed into things as well next week, so if this weeks was a little slow in places, I suspect that to get so much in, next week might be the opposite!

The whole parallel universe, and things happening differently was also quite entertaining, although a little dark.

Next week definitely looks very promising, I did think the Cloister bell at the end was a nice touch, and nod to the Doctors of old. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #180 on: 22 June, 2008, 05:51:26 am »
Brilliant ep, I can't wait!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #181 on: 22 June, 2008, 08:45:30 am »

Indeed - but I missed the cloister bell reference - what was that?

What amazes me about DW is that is is often feature film quality stuff (with the odd exception) but churned out week after week. Stunning.

« Reply #182 on: 22 June, 2008, 09:13:28 am »
Interesting in that Rose refers to the fact that she was "sent"from her parallel universe, and the comments about Donna - "What could you become?"

I love the undertones and the small references to past and future. The way they gradually disassembled the  character list with each one dying in an appropriate manner.

To me though the most powerful image from last night was the deterioration of moral values, and the way  that the "soultion" became apparent to Bernard Cribbins - superb atmsophere and acting " LAbour camps - That's what they called them last time"

Would we?

gonzo

« Reply #183 on: 22 June, 2008, 09:15:45 am »
Bizzarely I thought that Catherine Tate was a better actress than Billie Piper. She just seemed sort of dis-interested that episode.

Question is; how many weeks will the next episodes be dragged out over?

Regarding Donna, I'm going to go for a "dying to save everything, but in turn becoming part of it" type ending to the multi-part end of series.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #184 on: 22 June, 2008, 09:53:25 am »
I think 2 weeks as there is 2 episodes left of this season. It looks like a superp grand finale.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Si

« Reply #185 on: 22 June, 2008, 02:59:48 pm »
Bizzarely I thought that Catherine Tate was a better actress than Billie Piper. She just seemed sort of dis-interested that episode.

That's what I got from it too - BP seemed to be just reading out the script in a Rose accent at times.

Anyhow, from the bit at the end of DW Confidential it looks like Davros is coming back too.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #186 on: 22 June, 2008, 04:01:23 pm »
I've just watched it. Oh, it was great. Bloody wonderful, and I can't wait till next week!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #187 on: 22 June, 2008, 10:18:58 pm »
The producer claimed that was one of the cheap episodes. How did they manage that?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #188 on: 22 June, 2008, 10:24:48 pm »

Indeed - but I missed the cloister bell reference - what was that?

The cloister bell is like an alarm, and it's supposed to ring in times of great danger.   I thought however, it was only triggered by the Time Lords in Gallifrey, but they've probably decided to alter that part of history (or future).  ::-)

Also, did any one else think Billie Piper seemed to have false teeth, as her mouth and the way she was speaking seemed a bit odd? 
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #189 on: 22 June, 2008, 10:27:30 pm »

To me though the most powerful image from last night was the deterioration of moral values, and the way  that the "soultion" became apparent to Bernard Cribbins - superb atmsophere and acting " LAbour camps - That's what they called them last time"

Would we?

Are German people inherently evil?

Yes we could, scarily easily I would guess.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #190 on: 22 June, 2008, 10:36:15 pm »
I assumed the weirdness with Rose was deliberate and not an acting failure ( if you see what I mean). I am expecting an explanation.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #191 on: 22 June, 2008, 10:36:53 pm »

Also, did any one else think Billie Piper seemed to have false teeth, as her mouth and the way she was speaking seemed a bit odd? 
I wondered if her mouth was botoxed, but she's very young for that.

« Reply #192 on: 22 June, 2008, 11:27:52 pm »
I must admit, I thought that Rose's speech seemed a bit odd, but I just put it down to either me not remembering what she was like in previous episodes, or just BP being out of practice at being Rose.

Maybe she's not the Rose we know, but some other alternate reality Rose from yet another parallel universe (what does that phrase remind me of... ;D)
Actually, it is rocket science.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #193 on: 23 June, 2008, 08:51:47 am »

I did wonder (out loud) why she was doing a hamster impression throughout....

BTW I am looking forward to the return of Stavros Davros...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #194 on: 23 June, 2008, 09:04:33 am »
Exterminate everbody peeps!

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #195 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:24:58 pm »
I assumed the weirdness with Rose was deliberate and not an acting failure ( if you see what I mean). I am expecting an explanation.

That's how I saw it - she's been trapped in a parrallel universe and has been struggling to get back through. Could be botox though!  ;)

The only bad thing about that episode was the creature - it was rather crap. But then again, as The Doctor said, it wasn't a remarkable thing and the effect it had on Donna was very unusual...

Si

« Reply #196 on: 23 June, 2008, 01:31:22 pm »
Read an interview with her somewhere - she said that she found it very difficult to get back into the character and had to re-watch all the old episodes to try and get the hang of it again.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #197 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:00:53 pm »
Oh my god oh my god oh my god.

*wibbles incoherently*

« Reply #198 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:01:35 pm »
Bollocks.
Who is the new Who?
We can't wait until the 5th of July.
Someone must know.

« Reply #199 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:01:53 pm »
Well... slap me with a wet Sontaran!

Talk about leaving the end hanging in suspense!