Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283829 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #200 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:04:49 pm »
The new Dr will be the old Dr............
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #201 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:11:30 pm »
Christopher Eccleston?

*perks up and looks hopeful*

That was the most amazing episode ever! The Doctor! And Captain Jack! And Rose! And Sarah Jane! And Torchwood! And Donna! And Martha! And Daleks! And Bernard Cribbins!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #202 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:12:57 pm »
One of the girls at work is an avid fan and tips.....

Spoiler

« Reply #203 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:17:12 pm »
Slightly OT....

Bernard Cribbins was actually auditioned as the Doctor, but pipped at the post by Tom Baker!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #204 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:23:28 pm »
I really really don't want to be spoiled for next week. I just want it to be next week.

« Reply #205 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:30:28 pm »
I really really don't want to be spoiled for next week. I just want it to be next week.

Sorry - that's why I gave the option!

« Reply #206 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:32:46 pm »
The other "heads up" from my colleague is that it will be a "Feature length" episode next week - about an hour and a half!

PS - Band on the run?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #207 on: 28 June, 2008, 09:04:27 pm »
According to the BBC website, next week's is 65 minutes long.

You know when they say the darkness is coming, does anyone else get a vision in their head of Justin Hawkins screaming through time and space?

« Reply #208 on: 28 June, 2008, 09:33:47 pm »
Oh very good, last weeks episode was just the start of it, this is turning into a rather smashing story.  Bringing all the groups, Torchwood, UNIT, Sarah-Jane, Donna, Martha Jones etc all together was rather good.  The Bees bit seemed a bit a minor after the build-up, but heah, at least there was a point to it.  Presumably Bad Wolf was just a reference to the Daleks coming back again, since Bad Wolf was them last time?

Next week should be interesting, lets hope it's not an anti-climax, and it doesn't leave too much for the next season!
Actually, it is rocket science.

gonzo

« Reply #209 on: 28 June, 2008, 10:42:15 pm »
I guess it helps that I live next door to someone who played an extra in the Dr Who Xmas special so I know who'll end up as the doc!

Rose's acting did just seem genuinely rubbish as happy emotions she was able to do well, it was jus thte serious ones that were awful!

Also, has everyone noted Rose's bf and mum in the photo above?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #210 on: 28 June, 2008, 11:11:33 pm »
Yay, Micky the idiot!

Did everyone notice Donna's heartbeat?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #211 on: 28 June, 2008, 11:15:37 pm »
Zomg squee! 

And as for Rose... any girl in leather who can cock her enormous cannon with a ka-chock-bweeeeeee! shotgun-charging noise after wasting a Dalek is all right in my book. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #212 on: 29 June, 2008, 02:43:27 am »
Why can't we have 1 day weeks?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #213 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:52:00 am »
Zomg squee! 

And as for Rose... any girl in leather who can cock her enormous cannon with a ka-chock-bweeeeeee! shotgun-charging noise after wasting a Dalek is all right in my book. 

Oh yes - gotta love a girl wiva big gun. Looked to me like she was doing a Ripley. Her gun did need to look a little less like a super soaker though.  :D :D :D

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #214 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:13:04 am »
<lone voice>

I realise this may be against the gushing flow of enthusiasm for this latest mini-series two episodes but I found the contrived nature of them a bit irritating.

I also struggle with the constant recycling of characters that have, in previous episodes, been killed off or relegated to the back of the garage of the space-time continuum.

Of course, despite this, it has got me hooked in and I shall watch the final episode from behind the sofa next Saturday.

H

« Reply #215 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:44:23 am »
I also struggle with the constant recycling of characters that have, in previous episodes, been killed off or relegated to the back of the garage of the space-time continuum.

There is an argument that they are trying to be a little be too clever with the interlinking of episodes.  With the old Dr Who, there was very little between episode other than the occasional bringing back of a baddie.  How many times have we had the Daleks back in this new series?  I know the Daleks are one of the Drs main adversaries, but they have been brought back (and from total annihilation) multiple times, which does seem a little lazy.  It would show more imagination to invent a few new ultimate nasties rather than relying on the Master, Daleks, Sontarans, etc
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #216 on: 29 June, 2008, 10:44:00 am »
Davros was the baddie of my generation. He was the scariest thing on Dr Who. It's good they've brought him back for a new audience. It bridges the generation gap.

The master was always a bit too Shakespearean.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #217 on: 29 June, 2008, 12:16:39 pm »
It would show more imagination to invent a few new ultimate nasties rather than relying on the Master, Daleks, Sontarans, etc

Yep, my thoughts entirely.

They can put together a good plot (I enjoyed the one on the Crystal Moon), although these one-offs seem at odds with the pace and theme of the rest of the series.

I hope they sort this out for the next series.

Also, do we have to have another fresh faced slightly earnest looking young man as the Doctor?

Why not a middle aged, overweight chap with moobs and a fondness for beer.

H

« Reply #218 on: 29 June, 2008, 12:34:28 pm »
John Sims, yep, I like him.  The boys will be pleased.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #219 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:35:35 pm »

There is an argument that they are trying to be a little be too clever with the interlinking of episodes.  With the old Dr Who, there was very little between episode other than the occasional bringing back of a baddie.  How many times have we had the Daleks back in this new series?  I know the Daleks are one of the Drs main adversaries, but they have been brought back (and from total annihilation) multiple times, which does seem a little lazy.  It would show more imagination to invent a few new ultimate nasties rather than relying on the Master, Daleks, Sontarans, etc
I'm bored of the Daleks. I think in the first of the new series, the episode Dalek with just the one, and then the last two of the series, were excellent. And the finale of series two, with the comedy Dalek vs Cybermen bickering, was excellent as well. But that's enough Daleks for me for a few years. They're not special and scary any more. They just keep doing time shifts and coming back, and it's boring. I'd like a few years without them now.

« Reply #220 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:52:47 pm »
Slightly OT....

Bernard Cribbins was actually auditioned as the Doctor, but pipped at the post by Tom Baker!
Goodness, I didn't know that!

What was up with Donna's heartbeat? I missed that.

« Reply #221 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:57:17 pm »
Andrew Lloyd-Webber will be the next Doctor...or Ant and Dec.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #222 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:58:35 pm »
My vote's on Carol Vorderman.
IGMC.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #223 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:00:48 pm »
I thought it started off really well with the Earth being taken... and then went rapidly downhill from there. Just throwing everything at an episode doesn't work. And Davros needs dark and creepiness to work properly... great sfx, but shame about just about everything else.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #224 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:20:40 pm »

What was up with Donna's heartbeat? I missed that.
It was ... unusual. We heard it when she was sitting on the steps in the Shadow Proclamation. I wouldn't go so far as to say it might have been two heartbeats, but it was definitely not normal.

ETA: I've just watched it again and paid attention to what Dalek Caan was saying. Things that stood out for me were

"he is coming, the threefold man" - the Doctor? What's threefold about the Doctor?

"the children of time are moving against us" - implies more than one Timelord? The ring was picked up at the end of the last series by a female hand. Is Donna the Rani? That would explain the two heartbeats.

"Death is coming - I can see it - everlasting death for the most faithful companion" - hmm. Rose left him, Martha left him, he left Sarah Jane but then she left him - is it Donna? Or is it his absolutely most faithful companion, the TARDIS? Or is it Rose - she only left because she was whisked into another universe against her will and she's fought her way back.

There's a facebook group campaigning for Boris Johnson to be the next doctor.