Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283766 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #225 on: 29 June, 2008, 09:27:50 pm »
My seven yr old didn't quite ::-) manage to keep the whole story from me until I saw it on BBC3 tonight, but very good (if slightly recycled...) anyhoo.

I reckon he'll come back as himself before running out of puff against the daleks and turning into...

dunno.   What happened to his good lady wife and childer from the scarecrows episode?

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #226 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:42:05 pm »
Frankly, it's time for a change. Don't know if I can put up with David Tennant's over-frantic gurning any more... :-\

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #227 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:21:57 am »
From my viewpoint, the best episode since Dr Who restarted, especially, but not just, due to Davros's return.  Well done BBC for not mucking around with him, he is still as scary as I remember him from when I was a nipper...

Roll on Saturday
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #228 on: 30 June, 2008, 08:36:35 am »
I reckon he'll come back as himself before running out of puff against the daleks and turning into...
Of course he'll come back as himself. Someone posted a picture of DT with Mickey, Roses' (former) partner, and Mickey wasn't in the last episode.

edit: Cunobelin posted the pic.

Si

« Reply #229 on: 30 June, 2008, 09:58:08 am »
More obscure references to past lives: did anyone notice Bernard Cribbins dropping in a line from a Wombles song  ;D

i think that ythey had to work hard in this episode to set things up for the next, thus bits of it were a little awkward.

« Reply #230 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:07:29 am »
More obscure references to past lives: did anyone notice Bernard Cribbins dropping in a line from a Wombles song  ;D
I didn't, can you remember which scene?
Wondering why they didn't use Bernard Cribbins as the copper, trying to catch criminals, and making a call with the TARDIS phone and meeting Peter Cushing's Dr. Who? Maybe it was an unofficial movie and not to be confused with the televised series.
IMDB Clicky

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #231 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:13:08 am »

What was up with Donna's heartbeat? I missed that.
It was ... unusual. We heard it when she was sitting on the steps in the Shadow Proclamation. I wouldn't go so far as to say it might have been two heartbeats, but it was definitely not normal.

ETA: I've just watched it again and paid attention to what Dalek Caan was saying. Things that stood out for me were

"he is coming, the threefold man" - the Doctor? What's threefold about the Doctor?

"the children of time are moving against us" - implies more than one Timelord? The ring was picked up at the end of the last series by a female hand. Is Donna the Rani? That would explain the two heartbeats.

"Death is coming - I can see it - everlasting death for the most faithful companion" - hmm. Rose left him, Martha left him, he left Sarah Jane but then she left him - is it Donna? Or is it his absolutely most faithful companion, the TARDIS? Or is it Rose - she only left because she was whisked into another universe against her will and she's fought her way back.

There's a facebook group campaigning for Boris Johnson to be the next doctor.

It was the 'everlasting death' that got me wondering. It makes it sound like constantly dying or something.

Not a bad episode. They've definitely been setting Donna up for something major. I hope Tennant doesn't disappear cos I like him as the Doctor (and they're gonna run out of regenerations). I read/heard somewhere that he was in contract negotiations for another series...

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #232 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:15:07 am »
Did anyone notice the Daleks saying "resistance is useless ".I suspect they were flying as near to a Borg quote as possible.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #233 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:25:04 am »
Nah, that's a Douglas Adams line.  There are many links between him and Dr Who, and funnily enough, I felt the ghost of DNA during the show - but 'why?' now escapes me - it wasn't that line, it was something else.  I may have to go and fiddle with the iPlayer page to see if I can find it.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Kathy

« Reply #234 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:35:20 am »
That was fun!  :thumbsup:

My thoughts as to what will happen: There's been no hype about a new actor, so I reckon somehow we'll keep David Tennant. We haven't yet learned why it is so special that Donna keeps getting her own little universes, so perhaps that will be utilised.

As for "the most faithful companion": just a thought, but has anyone seen K9 lately? ;)

Lots of HHG references: "Resistance is useless futile", the planets hanging in the sky in exactly the way that bricks don't, the dolphins bees disappearing...

Oh, and I wanna cuddly Dalek Caan! :D

« Reply #235 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:55:55 am »
Oh, and I wanna cuddly Dalek Caan! :D

You're going to have to knit it yourself then!
Actually, it is rocket science.

cometworm

« Reply #236 on: 30 June, 2008, 01:09:45 pm »
As for "the most faithful companion": just a thought, but has anyone seen K9 lately? ;)

He gets toasted in the episode where they brought Sarah Jane back, last series or the one before.

In any case, good episode, and although I can't say Donna is growing on me, having Rose back certainly helped.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #237 on: 30 June, 2008, 02:17:36 pm »
I must just have very different tastes to most of you! I liked the downbeat 'Turn Left' so much more, and thought this one was largely a glittery mess. Oh well...

Si

« Reply #238 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:21:43 pm »

It was the "open your eyes, look to the skies" bit when the earth is transported - it's the begining of A Wombling Merry Christmas.

Of course, it could be so obscure that it was just chance....but I believe that anything is chance in Dr Who anymore!

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #239 on: 30 June, 2008, 03:25:57 pm »
I must just have very different tastes to most of you! I liked the downbeat 'Turn Left' so much more, and thought this one was largely a glittery mess. Oh well...

Nah, I'd agree overall. I liked it at the weekend, but it was definitely an epsiode setting up the climax. And I'm a bit bored of the Daleks. And how come Cap'n Jack can have a gun that blows up Daleks but doesn't leave one for the other two?

With 'Turn Left' it was 10 minutes from the end before I thought, 'hang on, the Dr hasn't been in this...' Much like 'Blink', probably my favourite of the most recent lot.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #240 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:00:05 pm »

It was the "open your eyes, look to the skies" bit when the earth is transported - it's the begining of A Wombling Merry Christmas.

It's the beginning of Bohemian Rhapsody!  ;D

« Reply #241 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:03:40 pm »

It's the beginning of Bohemian Rhapsody!  ;D

No it isn't. BH starts like this "Is it this the real life" or is this just Timperley. And what part did Bernard Cribbins have in Queen ?

« Reply #242 on: 30 June, 2008, 10:46:50 pm »
Of course he'll come back as himself. Someone posted a picture of DT with Mickey, Roses' (former) partner, and Mickey wasn't in the last episode.

edit: Cunobelin posted the pic.

But I also posted the spoiler ith the new Dr Who......

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #243 on: 01 July, 2008, 09:01:57 pm »
Why isn't it Saturday yet?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #244 on: 01 July, 2008, 09:05:53 pm »
I know, I know. Are you missing Woolly, too?  :'(

;)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #245 on: 02 July, 2008, 08:23:59 pm »
Is River Song the new doctor?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #246 on: 02 July, 2008, 08:39:46 pm »
ZOMG WTF SQUEE?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #247 on: 02 July, 2008, 10:49:45 pm »

Dat's 'cos you isn't a Time Lord.............innit!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #248 on: 03 July, 2008, 08:16:17 am »
I hate not being a Time Lord!

I don't think River Song is the new doctor.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #249 on: 03 July, 2008, 10:18:36 am »
Damnably linear time!

Everlasting death?  I reckon Rose's wazzing around will end up in her being bloiped out of the timestream entirely. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.