Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283832 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1050 on: 26 December, 2010, 11:01:55 pm »
This is an achievement of which any one of us would be rightly proud.

Really? Why?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1051 on: 27 December, 2010, 12:12:44 am »

Really? Why?

d.

Exactly! My husband and his fledgling organisation have been setting up a licensing agreement with the Beeb for a RPG for Hoctor Doo, and I am immensely proud of him.

Plus seeing my mate Laura doing a sterling (if brief) job as Katherine Jenkins plainer sister in the Xmas special was also very cool  8)

« Reply #1052 on: 27 December, 2010, 12:21:13 am »

I'd lean more towards retarded than proud....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Chris S

« Reply #1053 on: 27 December, 2010, 12:23:09 am »
I was pretty pissed TBH, and I'm not really a Dr Who fan, so no useful judge I guess.

I was hopelessly confused from start to finish, and really had no idea what the hell it was about. A flying shark that liked opera, was that it?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1054 on: 27 December, 2010, 12:32:57 am »

Really? Why?

d.

I've never met the girl, but to me it indicates an independence from mass media which I think is quite laudable.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1055 on: 27 December, 2010, 01:10:38 am »
She's bullshitting. And if you believe her, your beard is starting to grow over your eyes!! Unless she was kept in a cellar during her childhood, there is no way she wouldn't know about Dr Who or the Daleks....

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1056 on: 27 December, 2010, 01:17:13 am »

Really? Why?

d.

I've never met the girl, but to me it indicates an independence from mass media which I think is quite laudable.

Darling boy, I know it does to your good self but it can be incredibly well written and there is some superb acting. As my hubby likes to say, anyone who is anyone in the acting world wants to do this show - it is the gig which is why I am so proud that my friend Laura got. Which is why Sir Michael Gambon said that he had always wanted to do this show. It ain't mass media, its a well loved show which I have adored since I was a little 'un and will continue to appreciate for the rest of my life  :thumbsup:

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1057 on: 27 December, 2010, 01:19:33 am »

Really? Why?

d.

Darling boy, I know it does to your good self but it can be incredibly well written and there is some superb acting. As my hubby likes to say, anyone who is anyone in the acting world wants to do this show - it is the gig which is why I am so proud that my friend Laura got. Which is why Sir Michael Gambon said that he had always wanted to do this show. It ain't mass media, its a well loved show which I have adored since I was a little 'un and will continue to appreciate for the rest of my life  :thumbsup:

*applause*

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1058 on: 27 December, 2010, 01:35:37 am »
Jolly good! And long may you enjoy it, Katie!

But why is it so incredible that people have somehow not been touched by a certain aspect of the mass media / culture? Bobb, re-read: I have never met the girl. This cropped up in a conversation with my sis-in-law. I'm not lying in my reporting of that conversation to you and I'm sure she wasn't lying in her reporting of the conversation she had yesterday lunch time.

It's part of the rich tapestry that not everyone fits into the same mould. For me to say it's laudable that someone has somehow avoided that which is quite difficult to avoid doesn't mean that I'm in any way criticising people's favourite television programme or people who like the programme. It means that I'm celebrating people's diversity.

« Reply #1059 on: 27 December, 2010, 01:53:08 am »
I'm most certainly not saying you are a liar, or your sil. Just that the girl in question is. Maybe not a full on liar - just a bit of a bullshiter.

I don't give a flying bollock bag about Dr Who. I enjoy it as a bit of Saturday evening light entertainment, but apart from that I only watch it because Amy Pond is fit as all fuck.

You avoid the meeja and you've heard of Dr Who and the Daleks, so how on Earth is this 18 year old to be believed when she says she hasn't?

She's clearly a nutter....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1060 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:06:26 am »
I must have been about 9 when Dr. Who was first on the telly (my recollection was that the first episode was on about the same time that Kennedy was assassinated*), and the Daleks probably turned up in the first series (I can't remember). I watched quite regularly: William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker... how many years did that lot cover?

I also recall (possibly incorrectly) that the first episode was broadcast twice, on consecutive Saturdays, because the first one was so popular but lots of people missed it and requested that it be shown again.

*Just checked: Kennedy assassinated 22/11/1963. Dr. Who was first broadcast 23/11/1963.  :smug:

Quote from: Wiki
Premiering the day after the assassination of United States President John F. Kennedy, the first episode of Doctor Who was repeated with the second episode the following week.

« Reply #1061 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:18:33 am »
So we have the king of popular culture avoidance (you) admitting to knowing all kind of facts about the show!!  :P

You know I love you, Pete - it's just that I do not believe for one second that this girl is being truthful....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1062 on: 27 December, 2010, 02:27:26 am »
So we have the king of popular culture avoidance (you) admitting to knowing all kind of facts about the show!!  :P

You've seen from the cricket quizzes what a prodigious memory I had for totally irrelevant facts.

I didn't always try to avoid popular culture. In fact, I don't think I make any effort to avoid it now. People are allowed to lose interest in stuff and if, after a period of more than 47 years, I've lost interest in what I always regarded as a children's programme, then surely that's not that surprising.

The same is true of television in general. If you watched just 10% of what's on offer you'd never have time for anything else. I've just become totally fed up with watching telly. I've even got fed up with watching cricket. Televised cricket was ruined by Mark Nicholas and the trashy Channel 4 presentation of it. I was brought up on commentaries by John Arlott, Jim Laker and E. W. Swanton. No contest.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #1063 on: 27 December, 2010, 12:01:31 pm »

Really? Why?

She's in training to be a High Court judge ;)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1064 on: 27 December, 2010, 12:05:32 pm »

Really? Why?

d.

Excepting the Guardian of course ?
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1065 on: 29 December, 2010, 07:25:37 pm »
 Not keen on the Christmas episode really. No real sense of peril. The trailers for the new series look great though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1066 on: 29 December, 2010, 08:10:34 pm »
The trailers for the new series look great though.

They do, don't they?

« Reply #1067 on: 30 December, 2010, 08:48:52 am »

They do, don't they?

And one of them is written by Mr Neil Gaiman..

bounces.
Just someone's butler

« Reply #1068 on: 30 December, 2010, 10:47:48 am »
The Christmas special totally failed the 6 year old test...my 6 year old was completely unable to summarise what he'd just seen to his elder sister.
She tends to use him as a barometer for how scary it is. If he isn't too freaked out, she'll watch it with him on demand!

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1069 on: 30 December, 2010, 02:48:28 pm »

They do, don't they?

And one of them is written by Mr Neil Gaiman..

bounces.

Squeeeee (as the youth would say), didn't he write one episode for Babylon 5 many moons ago? I seem to recall it had Pen & Teller in it...

essexian

« Reply #1070 on: 30 December, 2010, 08:20:33 pm »
Any one been watching the Sarah Jane Adventures (9am on BBC1 during this holiday period)?

A first rate spin off which, IMHO, is better than some of the recent Dr Who's.

Clandy

« Reply #1071 on: 02 January, 2011, 12:39:28 pm »
Whilst waiting for dinner today at my brother's, I see Doctor Who is being repeated. Not the new crap Doctor, but the previous entertaining and well acted Doctor.

« Reply #1072 on: 02 January, 2011, 01:39:39 pm »
Who, Tom Baker?  :)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1073 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:59:46 am »
Who, William Hartnell?

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1074 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:01:55 am »
No, Patrick Troughton.

(Actually, I rather like Matt Smith)
There's no vibrations, but wait.