Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283837 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #275 on: 05 July, 2008, 09:09:09 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #276 on: 05 July, 2008, 09:19:47 pm »
I liked how the Doctor and Rose realised Gwen was Gwyneth. And K9! He's such a good dog.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #277 on: 05 July, 2008, 09:24:14 pm »
My six year old started watching then found out the Tour de France highlights were on ITV4 and told me to switch over - good girl!  ;D

« Reply #278 on: 05 July, 2008, 10:31:35 pm »
I liked how the Doctor and Rose realised Gwen was Gwyneth.

yeah but - what have I missed?  And what's the question about whether her family are a long-time resident of Cardiff?

Am I stoopid?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #279 on: 06 July, 2008, 10:27:10 am »
You must have missed this episode BBC - Doctor Who - Episodes - The Unquiet Dead, Click on the gallery and you will see the link between Gwen and Gwyneth.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

gonzo

« Reply #280 on: 06 July, 2008, 10:32:01 am »
It'll be interesting to see if Martha moves to Torchwood (which is a significantly better show btw ;) )

And it would appear that Billie Pipper was just being rubbish at the whole actress thing! I thought that Catherine Tate was excellent in that episode and seemed to really step up to her role.

Si

« Reply #281 on: 06 July, 2008, 11:19:09 am »
It was OK, I guess.  In fact the acting, the interplay between the character, the banter, etc was great.  Story was a little contrived though.

BTW, given that the earth hd bee zapped away and then towed back- absent for a number of hours at least - wyh was the moon still in place?  eh? eh?

Also, do you think that RTD has something about mother-in-laws (or is that mothers-in-law?) as the assistant's mothers all seem to be somewhat bolshy and overbearing?

Anyhoo, who do we see s the next assistant?  Given their slightly left field approach in choosing Cafferine  Tate as Donna I'm going to go for Boris Johnson as the next assistant: all the requirements: blond, absent minded, looks like the type to run round screaming in a crisis and there could definatly be some love interest with Capt. Jack, if not the Dr.

gonzo

« Reply #282 on: 06 July, 2008, 11:28:23 am »
BTW, given that the earth hd bee zapped away and then towed back- absent for a number of hours at least - wyh was the moon still in place?  eh? eh?

I'm glad to know it wasn't just me who was geeky enough to notice that!

Personally, I'm wondering how the earth avoiding freezing over on the trip back to it's orbit around the sun!

« Reply #283 on: 06 July, 2008, 11:30:24 am »
Well the earth had only been gone for a few hours, so I'm sure the moon wouldn't have drifted that far away. Or the tardis could have gone and dragged it back.

gonzo

« Reply #284 on: 06 July, 2008, 11:47:01 am »
Moon travels at a little over 1 km/sec according to wiki. Thus it would have travelled 3,600 km in an hour.

Assume it's 400,000km away normally, then in an hour, it will have travelled about 1% of the distance between the earth and moon's original position.

So there you have it, if we were gone for 100 hours, there'd be problems (assuming the moon, for some bizarre reason when directly towards te earth)!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #285 on: 06 July, 2008, 02:04:02 pm »
I liked how the Doctor and Rose realised Gwen was Gwyneth.

yeah but - what have I missed?  And what's the question about whether her family are a long-time resident of Cardiff?

Am I stoopid?

The torchwood lass who dug up captain jack in the victorian era

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #286 on: 06 July, 2008, 02:14:48 pm »
You must have missed this episode BBC - Doctor Who - Episodes - The Unquiet Dead, Click on the gallery and you will see the link between Gwen and Gwyneth.

The torchwood lass who dug up captain jack in the victorian era

..d

hmm

you're right - and thats just one of many that I think I've missed.

real life gets in the way a bit, eh?  what a bummer!

must try harder...

« Reply #287 on: 06 July, 2008, 06:19:26 pm »
My least favourite character in Dr Who recently has been Martha. She just sucks her teeth too much, and has absolutely no chemistry with the Doctor (or anyone else for that matter).

Donna was class. My favourite assistant so far, bar none.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #288 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:46:51 pm »
Martha is a bit pointless really.

Dr Who fans' anger as 2,500 try and call Doctor's mobile number shown during show
 | Mail Online

I've just used the comments section to say I rang and had a lovely chat with the Doctor, and he's agreed I can be his new assistant and he'll be round to pick me up in the TARDIS some time this week. Bet they don't print it.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #289 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:47:24 pm »
I was slightly disappointed after what was probably the best cliff-hanger in sci-fi history. However, the Doctor Donna bit was great fun and using the "clone" Doctor as the scapegoat was a clever bit of writing.

Towing the Earth back was b****x though.

And I really really wanted Wilf (Bernard Cribbins) to ask the Doctor if he could go with him. But he didn't :(.
Pen Pusher

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #290 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:51:40 pm »
I wanted Wilf to be digging a hole.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #291 on: 06 July, 2008, 11:37:44 pm »
I have just remembered with someone's mention of K-9 how stupid that bit was - proper deus ex machina - and I mean if K-9 could do all that, why didn't they just get him to do all of the tricky computer linky stuff? Still, it's a kid's show, and if the kids enjoyed it, that's what matters in the end. Mind you, I hated K-9 when I was a kid - same reason I hated Scrappy-Doo and all those attempts to cutesify perfectly good shows. I have unresolved issues with that pointless robot dog!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #292 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:26:35 am »
<heresy>

I thought it was complete, toe curlingly bad, bollocks.

Why on earth can they not conjure up some new characters, good and bad?

This includes the replacement Doctor who has done his time IMHO.

It feels like Mr Davis has run out of ideas.

H

</heresy>

« Reply #293 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:52:40 am »
<heresy>

I thought it was complete, toe curlingly bad, bollocks.

</heresy>

Agreed,  as someone who watched the last three episodes I thought this was just like a fast moving pantomime.  If you had seen the the last three episodes, but instead of it living on the Dr Who name, it was called "Bob Collier's Space Adventure" with the Dr replaced by said Bob, I would have thought the comments would be nowhere near as gushing.....

Si

« Reply #294 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:09:01 am »
So, anyway, now that it's all over and done with...does that mean there is a new series of torchwood about to start?

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #295 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:45:14 am »
One thing a friend said to me, which I think is true, is that Dr Who has become too hamstrung by US-style seasons, requiring finales. This means you always know that nothing really shocking will happen until near the end. The old Dr Who used to be much more flexible in its format - some single episodes, soem that ran over a few weeks, some in long story arcs, and didn't really feel the need for season finales. It would be nice to see them try something that was really integrated and wierder like The Key of Time. And I wish they would stop relying so much on bringing back Daleks and Cybermen...

« Reply #296 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »
I wanted Wilf to be digging a hole.

/OT

Round or Square?

/OT

« Reply #297 on: 07 July, 2008, 02:32:04 pm »
I think overall that the finale episode(s) were very good.  There are always some bits from Doctor Who which are likely to annoy people, and that's especially true in this sequence of episodes, that contained an awful lot of stuff.

The towing of the Earth back into place was a bit silly, and K9 also annoys me, since even by the standards of the era when he first appeared, he's a fairly naff special effect.

There were some great bits in there though.  The Harriet Jones bits with the daleks; "Harriet Jones, ex-Prime Minister", "We know who you are <zap>" was a classic, and Doctor Donna was very amusing, as was the bit with the second Doctor acting a bit Donna-ish.

Over the series I've got to quite like Donna, so it'll be a bit of a challenge to find someone as good to replace her.  Billie Piper as Rose was frankly awful in these episodes, which was odd, because by the time she left originally, the character had become rather good.  Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones was also a bit meh.  I've never found Martha to be as interesting as either Rose or Donna, but I think that's possibly the fault of the character more than the actress.
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

« Reply #298 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:08:58 pm »
...as was the bit with the second Doctor acting a bit Donna-ish..

I thought that was a nice comment on the mockney gurning that DT has tended to display throughout as the Doctor :)

« Reply #299 on: 07 July, 2008, 06:52:57 pm »
btw, has anyone translated the German bits in the episode?  I suspect I understand what "Extermineran" means ;D, but what does the German Guardian of the Castle (Valda Aviks) say?  I'm guessing it's various things about not using the Osterhagen Key to destroy the world etc?
Actually, it is rocket science.