Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283815 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1100 on: 24 April, 2011, 09:00:16 am »
The 5 of us just watched it on I-player and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! time paradox makes my head hurt at the best of times and I've read a lot of scifi. Spooky, scary, confusing and funny, that's about as good as it gets.

Even scarier I'm now in the position of yet again changing my favourite Doctor...David Tennant finally beat out Tom Baker but Matt Smith is superb.

It's like being a kid again, got to wait a whole week for the next episode  ;D

My 10 yr old refused to watch it but the 14 yr old was well chuffed to have made it home on time.

« Reply #1101 on: 24 April, 2011, 11:26:33 am »
... loud laughs,  ...

(click to show/hide)

My favourite laugh was:

(click to show/hide)
  ;D

« Reply #1102 on: 24 April, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1103 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:01:25 pm »
Lots of good stuff but some bits I really didn't like...

(click to show/hide)

But even more annoying was...

(click to show/hide)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1104 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:03:39 pm »

Even scarier I'm now in the position of yet again changing my favourite Doctor...David Tennant finally beat out Tom Baker but Matt Smith is superb.

I think DT will always be it for me, but having just watched on iPlayer, I think Matt Smith is pretty damn good. I was put off the last series when it seemed a bit too 'kiddie' (plus I missed a lot of episodes).

The new music is still awful though. Bring back the DT incarnation theme.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1105 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:06:43 pm »
Lots of good stuff but some bits I really didn't like...

(click to show/hide)

But even more annoying was...

(click to show/hide)

d.

Yep, sums it up for me.

It doesn't help that I rewatched some old stuff with Sarah Jane in this weekend - yes the old stuff had flaws too but the Doctor was more interesting when he wasn't a god/superhero.

I don't hate the recent stuff but I thnk they have written themselves in to a very tiny corner by having too many plots with huge climaxes.  

« Reply #1106 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:08:14 pm »
It's a shame they feel the need to include lines that aren't going to be understood by their core audience. It's a kids' programme, FFS.

Since when?

One of the strengths of Dr Who has always been the ability to be suitable and maintain the interest of both children and adults

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1107 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »
And I did like the way their little exchange went over the heads of everyone in the room at the time, too.

Plus, y'know, he's a Time Lord.  Plots that appear impossible without doing some wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff are absolutely bread and butter.  Second only to the Tourist Of Time ones (quarry, ancient evil, kidnapped assistant, kaboom).
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1108 on: 25 April, 2011, 10:50:03 pm »
We enjoyed it, but I haven't made up my mind about 'Rory-the-Roman' tagging along - River Ok, but Rory possibly too many.

Apparently, though, the first episode ratings were down on last year...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1109 on: 26 April, 2011, 09:27:22 am »
We enjoyed it, but I haven't made up my mind about 'Rory-the-Roman' tagging along - River Ok, but Rory possibly too many.

Gillan makes the point that with Rory around, any romance between her character and The Doctor is snuffled out - I think this is a good thing, Dr Who is a much better programme without falling back on the worn-to-paper-thin cliche of will-they-wont-they between the leads.

Agree about deus-ex-machina stuff. It just makes the episode/series/multi-parter seem pointless. Yes, the Doctor is clever-n-powerful - but if there doesn't seem to be any struggle, what's the point? Why doesn't he just stun every bad guy with eye-ball lasers (or his sonic screwdriver)? etc ...

Fortunately Moffat wrote all the better stories a few years ago, so hopefully he prefers a 'proper' plot.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1110 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:06:46 am »
Buggeration, I just realised that I'll be at Chez Molio for the next episode.  Ah well, that's what iPlayer is for.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1111 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:08:31 am »
Buggeration, I just realised that I'll be at Chez Molio for the next episode.  Ah well, that's what iPlayer is for.

And Mythtv and SKY+
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1112 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:12:04 am »
Is RtR able to get Pond preggers? And what's with the sickness experienced by both River and Pond?

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1113 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:15:19 am »

If you ask nicely am sure that Monsieur Molio will put it on for you  ;)

« Reply #1114 on: 26 April, 2011, 12:44:28 pm »

Gillan makes the point that with Rory around, any romance between her character and The Doctor is snuffled out - I think this is a good thing, Dr Who is a much better programme without falling back on the worn-to-paper-thin cliche of will-they-wont-they between the leads.

Agree about deus-ex-machina stuff. It just makes the episode/series/multi-parter seem pointless. Yes, the Doctor is clever-n-powerful - but if there doesn't seem to be any struggle, what's the point? Why doesn't he just stun every bad guy with eye-ball lasers (or his sonic screwdriver)? etc ...

Fortunately Moffat wrote all the better stories a few years ago, so hopefully he prefers a 'proper' plot.

Twas ever so..?  e.g. the Tardis pulling the earth back to it's proper orbit etc., etc.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1115 on: 26 April, 2011, 12:56:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1116 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:11:11 pm »
Fine new monsters as well...
(click to show/hide)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1117 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:17:53 pm »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Tim

« Reply #1118 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:22:07 pm »
I thought this was supposed to be a new series. Ho hum, meh.

River Song in an episode about aliens in space suits/aliens you shouldn't look away from...

edit: seeing Tim's post I hadn't registered that they were reusing sets as well.

« Reply #1119 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:27:56 pm »
edit: seeing Tim's post I hadn't registered that they were reusing sets as well.

(click to show/hide)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1120 on: 26 April, 2011, 01:56:27 pm »

Twas ever so..?  e.g. the Tardis pulling the earth back to it's proper orbit etc., etc.

Depends on your definition of 'ever'; did this sort of thing happen before Russell T.Davies?

(this is the problem with non-sf writers trying to come up with suitable spacey-awesome ideas  :facepalm: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1121 on: 26 April, 2011, 04:09:51 pm »
Depends on your definition of 'ever'; did this sort of thing happen before Russell T.Davies?

There was a fair bit of "reversing the polarity" back in Jon Pertwee's day...

About the most cataclysmic thing I remember happening in Doctor Who when I was growing up was when the Cybermen crashed their spaceship into the Earth, killing off Adric and apparently causing the extinction of the dinosaurs.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1122 on: 26 April, 2011, 04:21:31 pm »
I remember that. And also something the Doctor did in 1666 started a fire in Pudding Lane.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1123 on: 26 April, 2011, 04:22:47 pm »

There was a fair bit of "reversing the polarity" back in Jon Pertwee's day...

About the most cataclysmic thing I remember happening in Doctor Who when I was growing up was when the Cybermen crashed their spaceship into the Earth, killing off Adric and apparently causing the extinction of the dinosaurs.

d.

It was worth finishing off the dinosaurs just to kill Adric.

« Reply #1124 on: 26 April, 2011, 04:25:23 pm »
wot he said. Anything to kill off the whiny little twerp.
<i>Marmite slave</i>