Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283750 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1125 on: 26 April, 2011, 04:29:34 pm »
Thanks to the tinterweb you can watch it again

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/idEcvdL_zHA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/idEcvdL_zHA&rel=1</a>
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1126 on: 26 April, 2011, 04:30:09 pm »
Oh, you people... I think I must be the only Who fan who ever actually liked Adric. I cried when he died. For hours.

Kirst - that was The Visitation, with those weird fishlike creatures called Terileptils. That was always one of my favourite stories.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1127 on: 26 April, 2011, 04:57:18 pm »
Oh, you people... I think I must be the only Who fan who ever actually liked Adric. I cried when he died. For hours.

I kind of feel bad now – they wrote Adric for us, all the little proto-geek girls and boys and lots of us hated him. 

I did like his gold star thing with which he offed a cyberman if that’s any consolation?

Billy Weir

« Reply #1128 on: 26 April, 2011, 06:57:45 pm »
Wondering if it would be best to have a spoiler free Dr Who thread and a spoilers allowed one.

Trying to following discussions about the show that are a series of drop down spoiler boxes is dashed difficult!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1129 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:30:02 pm »
Normally it's not worth the trouble ... but we're upto 76 pages now, so there would seem to be not a little interest in  DW on YACF!

It would be nice to have someone to merge the spoiler posts back into the main thread after a series has finished. MV is good at that stuff ... :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ravenbait

« Reply #1130 on: 27 April, 2011, 01:28:31 pm »
I quite like the idea of separate threads.

Frood and I are both a bit concerned that DW has peaked and we've already seen the best of them. The Christmas Special made me cross and last night's was disappointing.

Sam

« Reply #1131 on: 27 April, 2011, 07:31:32 pm »
I quite like the idea of separate threads.

Frood and I are both a bit concerned that DW has peaked and we've already seen the best of them. The Christmas Special made me cross and last night's was disappointing.

Sam

.......... or you're simply getting old and sensible?

;)

ravenbait

« Reply #1132 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:19:49 pm »

.......... or you're simply getting old and sensible?

;)

I shouldn't have thought that's ever likely.

:smug: :demon:

Sam

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1133 on: 27 April, 2011, 09:19:53 pm »

No, I liked him too. Or it felt like he could be me.

gonzo

« Reply #1134 on: 30 April, 2011, 03:27:39 pm »
I've got to agree that there's only so many times you can use THE WORLD'S GOING TO END. Oh no, sorry, forget that. My mistake.

I still reckon that some of the best episodes were the clever ones that didn't revolve around big events. eg. the (v limited) budget one where it was all filmed in an alien tour bus thing (with the possession and all that).

ravenbait

« Reply #1135 on: 30 April, 2011, 03:59:56 pm »
I've got to agree that there's only so many times you can use THE WORLD'S GOING TO END. Oh no, sorry, forget that. My mistake.

I still reckon that some of the best episodes were the clever ones that didn't revolve around big events. eg. the (v limited) budget one where it was all filmed in an alien tour bus thing (with the possession and all that).

"Midnight". Brilliant. I've rewatched it several times and it still gives me the shivers. It received poor reviews, and although I can see why I think they were undeserved. It was a great little demonstration of how the worst monsters are usually the prejudices and internalised hatreds of the people we think of as being the same as us. In that it was far darker and more horrifying than some of the more overt monsters that have been shown.

Moffat seems to like killing the Doctor. He did it at the end of last series, too. Really wish he'd quit it with the self-referential temporal loops, though. I like my science-fiction writing to be rather more cerebral than Bill & Ted, and you know, the kids can take it. The writing is starting to become a bit hand-wavy. I hope River Song isn't wasted -- I'm worried by the reference to Silence in the Library and the inconsistencies that are creeping in already.

Sam

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1136 on: 30 April, 2011, 04:06:24 pm »

+ 1. And the 'oh this series is going to be darker than ever bullsh*t'

I agree - the one off episodes which has less of a linkage to the overall concept of the series is to my mind a lot more original and there is more license to be more creative. 'The Girl in the fireplace' is my favourite one of all time and left me feeling genuinely touched. The alien tour bus was extremely clever and thought-provoking. I am intrigued by that image of the sad clown with the balloon on his own in that room - I hope that is an episode we can get our teeth into  :thumbsup:

ravenbait

« Reply #1137 on: 30 April, 2011, 04:19:35 pm »
I agree - the one off episodes which has less of a linkage to the overall concept of the series is to my mind a lot more original and there is more license to be more creative. 'The Girl in the fireplace' is my favourite one of all time and left me feeling genuinely touched. The alien tour bus was extremely clever and thought-provoking. I am intrigued by that image of the sad clown with the balloon on his own in that room - I hope that is an episode we can get our teeth into  :thumbsup:

The Girl In the Fireplace is also one of my favourites. There was a lot more emotional depth in the pre-Moffat days. The only time he's come close so far is in the odd little moments of the Doctor shows the thin end of his patience at people he considers inferior trying to second-guess him, or in a few scenes in the second Big Bang episode. Given that Moffat wrote the memorable Blink I was hoping for more.

Sam

gonzo

« Reply #1138 on: 30 April, 2011, 04:32:30 pm »
The Girl In the Fireplace is also one of my favourites.

That was Moffat too.

He's basically written all the best episodes; the original WW2 gas mask one, blink, midnight and the girl in the fireplace. It all seemed to go wrong once he started writing more than one episode per series.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1139 on: 30 April, 2011, 04:46:19 pm »
The Girl In the Fireplace is also one of my favourites.

That was Moffat too.

He's basically written all the best episodes; the original WW2 gas mask one, blink, midnight and the girl in the fireplace. It all seemed to go wrong once he started writing more than one episode per series.

Yes I agree - plus the pimping of the Blink Concept (from the original episode)  I found quite boring to be honest  :(

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1140 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:16:27 pm »
Spooky for words says peli

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1141 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:46:11 pm »
What. The. Hell?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1142 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:49:02 pm »
A female doctor how cool is that.  But who is she?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1143 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:49:52 pm »
Anyone want to explain that to us?

That's what happens with these two-parters, the build-up is fantastic, which leaves the concluding part a hard act to follow. Disappointing.

ravenbait

« Reply #1144 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:50:34 pm »
Oh dear. I almost don't want to bother watching the next one.

It's a bit like what happened when Hollywood remade "The Italian Job".

Sam

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1145 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:50:54 pm »
A female doctor how cool is that.  But who is she?

Ah, right, so the little girl at the end was a regenerating timelord?

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1146 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »
I agree with you Rhys, tonight's episode was disappointing. I know that they have to do 'set-up' for the entire season but it was just dull.

If we are looking at River Song and the Doctor as being like 'the life of bejamin button' then maybe the little girl could be River Song? I am also referring to what Rory asked her what she was a doctor of.

ravenbait

« Reply #1147 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:53:39 pm »
A female doctor how cool is that.  But who is she?

There are very few options. There already is a female Time Lord out there -- we know that from the Doctor's Daughter.

We also know that he has been a father before even that.

River Song was given children in the library episodes, and one could assume that, as Moffat seems to think no woman can be fulfilled unless she has children then, the marriage we are presuming she has with the Doctor (it seems pretty clear they are/will be/have been married) would produce at least one child.

Or Moffat could pull something completely at random from somewhere with no precedent and little justification. Like he did with this two-parter.

Sam

ravenbait

« Reply #1148 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:55:19 pm »
I agree with you Rhys, tonight's episode was disappointing. I know that they have to do 'set-up' for the entire season but it was just dull.

If we are looking at River Song and the Doctor as being like 'the life of bejamin button' then maybe the little girl could be River Song? I am also referring to what Rory asked her what she was a doctor of.

That's the other option, of course, although didn't River Song imply she was human in the last series?

Sam

ravenbait

« Reply #1149 on: 30 April, 2011, 06:56:08 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Looks like it.

Sam