Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283809 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1200 on: 08 May, 2011, 12:50:25 pm »
They are rather nicking characters now. Renfrew in the insane asylum, Captain Avery . . .

I assumed Renfrew was a reference to Renfield from Dracula, but who is Captain Avery?

Oh, and the entire episode could have been made by taking Pirates of the Caribbean and cut-n-pasting the scenes in a different order.  ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #1201 on: 08 May, 2011, 06:38:56 pm »
Henry Avery was a Pirate who pulled off some audacious and rewarding raids.

Then he disappeared without trace............

« Reply #1202 on: 08 May, 2011, 06:40:58 pm »
Henry Avery was a Pirate who pulled off some audacious and rewarding raids.

Then he disappeared without trace............

Actually I just checked my facts and Wiki has Dr Who references on the Avery entry:

A pirate captain named "Avery" is repeatedly mentioned in the 1966 Doctor Who serial The Smugglers; the plot centres on the search for Avery's treasure.[65]
    The 2011 Doctor Who episode "The Curse of the Black Spot," also features a pirate captain named Henry Avery, played by Hugh Bonneville.[66] While not explicitly linking the character to the historical figure, it makes clear that he had started his career in the Royal Navy before turning pirate, was dedicated to his wife and children, and had captured a great treasure from an Indian Mughal. It also provides a fictional aetiology for his disappearance.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1203 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:22:21 pm »
They are rather nicking characters now. Renfrew in the insane asylum, Captain Avery . . .
I think the sick bay was nicked from "Coma" and there was a fair bit of "Red Dwarf" in last night's episode.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Itit Wifan-Ammer

• Come on Penfold!
« Reply #1204 on: 08 May, 2011, 09:00:08 pm »
I wouldn't say that was a good episode last night.  Started off as a good  fun Dr Who Adventure on a Pirate Ship.

But did it really have to end up with alien space ship trapped in space time plot whole?  It seems to me that having an alien space ship trapped in a space time plot hole makes for an easy episode script as everything can be explained in the last 10 minutes due to an alien ship trapped in a space time plot hole.....   :-\

I have a vague memory of an episode of "Voyager" in which two copies of the ship were locked together in the same point in space but slightly off-set in time. Strange things happened as members of each crew moved from one ship to the other.

If I remember correctly, one ship had to be sacrificed in order to separate them. The plot provided a convenient mechanism for "killing off" characters only to have them replaced by the end of the episode with their doppelgänger who escaped the doomed ship.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #1205 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:45:34 am »
This doctor seems a bit haphazard with regards to his impact on future events.

Giving a working space ship to a crew of pirates?

I don't think much of this series so far.

« Reply #1206 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:57:04 am »

The Doctor not interfering with the past and future is rather like James T Kirk sticking to the Prime Directive. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1207 on: 09 May, 2011, 12:58:17 pm »

Giving a working space ship to a crew of pirates?

Yes, but it was a different Universe though. 
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

ravenbait

« Reply #1208 on: 09 May, 2011, 06:29:23 pm »
The only way the Matt Smith seasons make sense is if they all take place in an alternate universe that exists in Amelia Pond's head.

It's the only way it can work.

Evidence? If nothing else, only in her head could that CPR technique have actually worked.

Sam

« Reply #1209 on: 10 May, 2011, 07:42:59 pm »
The only way the Matt Smith seasons make sense is if they all take place in an alternate universe that exists in Amelia Pond's head.

It's the only way it can work.

Evidence? If nothing else, only in her head could that CPR technique have actually worked.

Sam

Or on Casualty / Holby City ?

« Reply #1210 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:25:28 am »
BBC News - Doctor Who boss 'hates' fans who spoil show's secrets

Duh, if you reveal the plot in advance, chances are it's going to get leaked...  ::-)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1211 on: 14 May, 2011, 07:27:15 pm »
Well, that was a peculiar episode....

gonzo

« Reply #1212 on: 14 May, 2011, 07:34:37 pm »
If anyone knows anyone who writes for the show can you please tell them to sort their act out please. Less "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!" and a little more towards the "Today I got up and had a shower and then brushed my teeth and..." end of the spectrum would be good.

I seem to remember Torchwood as being good because "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!" actually did make you wonder if they would all die (and who honestly believed that they'd all stay dead at the end eh?)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1213 on: 15 May, 2011, 07:55:23 am »
Well that went down spiffingly in this house.

It almost made me think Neil Gaiman isn't too far up his own arse to write decent stuff - although I fear someone might have frizzed up his first draft with some jokes!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1214 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:41:47 am »
I thought that was a rather good one too.  To my mind better than I have seen in a good while.

« Reply #1215 on: 15 May, 2011, 10:58:24 am »
I was trying to place the clipped questioning speech of the "Tardis" with a similar creation, but can't place it... despite the fact I know its going to be obvious.

(It's NOT the whale in Hitchhikers)

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1216 on: 15 May, 2011, 12:12:18 pm »
I thought that was a rather good one too.  To my mind better than I have seen in a good while.

Totally agree. Suranne Jones is a wonderful actress and she must have loved the part that was written for her. I liked the fact that I did not know it was written by Neil Gaiman until I saw Dr Who Confidential.

Is it me or does Amy Pond end up in an emotional wreck every bloody episode? I'm not really liking her and Rory in this.

« Reply #1217 on: 15 May, 2011, 12:48:56 pm »
It was a good episode,  I had been looking forward to it as I knew Neil was involved.  but it is the 3rd time they have killed Rory recently..  which made us think..

"OMG you've killed Kenny^dw Rory, you bastards..." 

Hey I liked it, and think it was one of the good ones,  but I do really like Neil's other work, and it was very obvously written by Neil.
Just someone's butler

ravenbait

« Reply #1218 on: 15 May, 2011, 02:04:30 pm »
I was trying to place the clipped questioning speech of the "Tardis" with a similar creation, but can't place it... despite the fact I know its going to be obvious.

(It's NOT the whale in Hitchhikers)

Orac? No. I'll get it in a bit. I know what you mean.

It was slash fic. It was Doctor Who/TARDIS slash rendered family-friendly, although I agree that (a) it was obviously Gaiman; and (b) it was much better than previous episodes this season. Which is saying something, because I don't like Gaiman all that much.

Suranne Jones was fabulous.

Sam

« Reply #1219 on: 15 May, 2011, 03:12:09 pm »
I liked that episode, although I've only just watched it (I slept through the original broadcast in a post-FNRttC stupor), and haven't seen Confidential yet.

I'm wondering who you've got in mind for the Tardis's clipped speech.  It's not an unusual form of speech in many science fiction films and TV series, where you've got something not quite human talking.

In some ways they possibly could have made more of what the Tardis knew about the Doctor, and they could have come up with a better name for her/it than Sexy. ;D

The title "The Doctor's Wife" was quite clever, although not really alluded to much in the story itself (which is probably a good thing).

« Reply #1220 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:01:12 pm »
There were a few twists that I thought were inetrsting

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #1221 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:05:15 pm »
Idris' speech and appearance reminded me a little of Bellatrix Lestrange. Though less evil and infantile.

« Reply #1222 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:17:12 pm »
There were a few twists that I thought were inetrsting

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1223 on: 15 May, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »
I absolutely loved that episode. Just the bringing to the fore of the relationship between the TARDIS as a living thing and the Doctor was wonderful. It was enough to make me overlook the Amy/Rory/dead/not dead boringness.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1224 on: 15 May, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »
I just hope this series doesn't end up with JR Ewing waking up in the shower Amy Pond waking up in the Pandorica to find it's all been a crazy dream...