Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283822 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1225 on: 16 May, 2011, 08:59:01 am »
but it is the 3rd time they have killed Rory recently..  which made us think..

"OMG you've killed Kenny^dw Rory, you bastards..." 

;D

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Si

« Reply #1226 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:33:35 am »
In some ways they possibly could have made more of what the Tardis knew about the Doctor, and they could have come up with a better name for her/it than Sexy. ;D

Yes, especially as when we first met the Dr he was in Bill Hartnell form - having Hartnell call the Tardis "sexy" is slightly disconcerting: somewhat perverted dirty old man!

Good episode - knocked spots off that rubbish pirate one.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1227 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:54:11 am »
(a) it was obviously Gaiman

Yes, very much so. This is a good thing in my book. I like his style. Makes me want to read The Sandman again.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1228 on: 16 May, 2011, 11:40:48 am »
Radio 4 Extra are running the Dr Who series again, started last week (I have recorded them on my Myth box, if anyone wants to hear them) and run through this week.

6PM, Radio 4 extra
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ravenbait

« Reply #1229 on: 16 May, 2011, 12:14:44 pm »
Oh! Really?

I should take an opportunity to plug Minister of Chance, then. Prologue is free and it's great stuff:

Minister of Chance

Sam

« Reply #1230 on: 16 May, 2011, 05:17:45 pm »
I was trying to place the clipped questioning speech of the "Tardis" with a similar creation, but can't place it... despite the fact I know its going to be obvious.

(It's NOT the whale in Hitchhikers)

I know it's very sad to quote yourself...................

The reason I couldn't place this as it wasn't a SCiFi character - the Tardis reminds me on Miranda Richardson's Queen in Black Adder

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1231 on: 16 May, 2011, 05:21:44 pm »
Idris' speech and appearance reminded me a little of Bellatrix Lestrange. Though less evil and infantile.

I thought it was a pale HB-C copy myself - glad I'm not the only one who saw the similarity.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1232 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:17:51 pm »
Yep, totally agree.  So clever, hats off stuff  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #1233 on: 17 May, 2011, 10:45:55 am »
The reason I couldn't place this as it wasn't a SCiFi character - the Tardis reminds me on Miranda Richardson's Queen in Black Adder

yes - only watched this last night so avoided this thread, but that was the comparison that came to my mind,.  See also Helena B-C in Alice...

I loved that episode. Plenty of silliness, some real story and a few extra characters to make it work.There was an interesting line to do with a river that I suppose alludes to Ms Song - maybe that also feeds into the title of the episode.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1234 on: 17 May, 2011, 11:19:10 am »
And, courtesy of my grate frend Mr. Sunshine, some more ol-skool Dokta Oho (SFW).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1235 on: 17 May, 2011, 12:48:47 pm »

yes - only watched this last night so avoided this thread, but that was the comparison that came to my mind,.  See also Helena B-C in Alice...

...she reminded me of Helena B-C as Morgan Le Fay, in Merlin;)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #1236 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:32:37 am »
I enjoyed that episode, even the creepy running down corridors bit.

The only letdown was the simple ending. I'm getting a bit tired of the "Aha, you think you have us, but what you don't know is [bowties are deadly to the greebles|you've teleported us to just the place to turn you off|if I do this with my sonic screwdriver, you'll disappear]" solutions.

It's a consequence of the single-episode format I suppose.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1237 on: 21 May, 2011, 07:45:55 pm »
OOh good strong start, but it all felt a little BSG in some respects. We shall see what the 2nd part brings!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1238 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »
I'm dreading it after the last two-parter. The first part raises interesting questions, the second part merely provides unsatisfactory answers.

Where have you seen the boss before? I had to google her name straight after the credits...

« Reply #1239 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:42:21 pm »
Actually, once they had introduced the concept of the Doppelgangers, I was just waiting for Amy, Rory, or the Doctor to turn out to be one.

At some point (or possibly several) the next episode will dissolve into paranoia, when people won't know who is or isn't a Doppelganger, and indeed just because we see two, and we know one is a Doppelganger, it won't mean that the other one is real.

This episode seemed a bit slow, and like it was avoiding spending money on special effects.

I wonder if this can be used to explain the 200 year older Doctor that we saw being killed in Episode 1?
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1240 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »
Where have you seen the boss before? I had to google her name straight after the credits...
I know her from Teachers.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1241 on: 21 May, 2011, 09:56:32 pm »
I know her from Teachers.
And Lead Balloon?

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #1242 on: 22 May, 2011, 05:04:26 pm »
Oh, yeah! Jack Dee's wife. Thanks HW, that has been irritating me off and on all day as I sit trying to sort a mountain of paperwork.

« Reply #1243 on: 22 May, 2011, 09:05:32 pm »
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

red marley

« Reply #1244 on: 22 May, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »
That was my favourite episode so far this series. Good opening gag and nice cliff hanger. It's all a bit Phillip K Dick with the "are we anything more than the sum of our memories?" stuff. And the bassoon in the soundtrack sounded very Tom Baker era old school.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1245 on: 23 May, 2011, 08:36:49 am »
The unstable gangers look like Voldemort.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1246 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:33:54 pm »
The unstable gangers look like Voldemort.
I was thinking of the shape-shifter from Deep Space 9
I've never managed to watch a whole DS9, but yes, he looked exactly like this lot!

I was a little zombie-fied myself watching this one. Could someone plz confirm:
before everything went SNAFU, when the workers were hanging on the wall in their "harnesses", was their conshusniss transferred to the ganger, or was the ganger an independent being, cloned from the original?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1247 on: 23 May, 2011, 12:45:00 pm »
Independent being made from some sort of organic gunge, with the original person's memories etc copied/pasted in, as far as I can make out.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1248 on: 24 May, 2011, 08:41:12 am »
So does 'The Flesh' become the Nestine consciousness and does this mean that Rory is actually One Of Them?

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1249 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:02:31 am »
Does anyone else think the rory/amy thing isn't working? not the idea itself but I just get no spark at all between the two players and find the idea they're an item stretching my credulity.
Nuns, no sense of humour