Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 283812 times)

Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #1250 on: 24 May, 2011, 08:40:15 pm »
Does anyone else think the rory/amy thing isn't working? not the idea itself but I just get no spark at all between the two players and find the idea they're an item stretching my credulity.

Actually, I'm thinking that little of this series is working.

As a family, Ma, Pa, 18, 16, 11 y/old, we've been hooked on every series, every episode since it's rebirth under Christopher Ecclestone, but frankly it's no longer doing-it for any of us.  Amy Pond is just annoying, Matt Smith is Dr Magnus Pyke on acid and it all seems overly frenetic.  I guess the plot's are just too complex for us because we no longer follow what's going-on, nor do we care.

« Reply #1251 on: 24 May, 2011, 11:07:39 pm »
Does anyone else think the rory/amy thing isn't working? not the idea itself but I just get no spark at all between the two players and find the idea they're an item stretching my credulity.

As a family, Ma, Pa, 18, 16, 11 y/old, we've been hooked on every series, every episode since it's rebirth under Christopher Ecclestone, but frankly it's no longer doing-it for any of us.  Amy Pond is just annoying, Matt Smith is Dr Magnus Pyke on acid and it all seems overly frenetic.  I guess the plot's are just too complex for us because we no longer follow what's going-on, nor do we care.

We's all different then, similar setup here, Ma, Pa, 15, 13 and 10 year old and we all think that Matt Smith is the best yet. I finally had to concede that David Tennant had knocked Tom Baker off top spot but was surprised how well, and quickly, I took to Matt Smith.

I don't mind the complexity but do agree the end of the world/universe/time itself bit gets a bit wearisome.
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #1252 on: 25 May, 2011, 01:05:18 am »

+1.  :(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #1253 on: 25 May, 2011, 01:17:07 am »
DT beats MS AFAIC.  Matt Smith, who's not bad really, just doesn't seem to carry off the tense moments, that require a tad more gravitas. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1254 on: 28 May, 2011, 06:48:10 pm »
"I've reversed the jelly baby of the neutron flow."  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1255 on: 28 May, 2011, 07:41:35 pm »
I need to watch that again to make sense of it.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1256 on: 28 May, 2011, 07:46:52 pm »
Here we go... let the discussion begin! I gave up trying to keep track of the human/gangers after 10 minutes and just enjoyed the ride. It didn't help that they kept referring to "the flesh" when I thought the gangers were made of plastic, like Autons...

So that's it now until the autumn?

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1257 on: 28 May, 2011, 07:57:49 pm »

Nooooooooooo  :o

border-rider

« Reply #1258 on: 28 May, 2011, 08:00:06 pm »

Rubbish pair of episodes, that.  Cluttered, incomprehensible (even though the storyline was obvious)  and so self-referential that even a hardened fan like me was bored.

I was struggling to care what happened.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1259 on: 28 May, 2011, 08:02:50 pm »
Here we go... let the discussion begin! I gave up trying to keep track of the human/gangers after 10 minutes and just enjoyed the ride. It didn't help that they kept referring to "the flesh" when I thought the gangers were made of plastic, like Autons...

They weren't plastic, they were organic matter.

There's an episode next week but I think that might be the last one before the break.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1260 on: 28 May, 2011, 08:37:32 pm »
Actually after not particularly liking the Pirates of the Carribean take off a couple weeks back, I thought the last two episodes were quite good

I think they are starting to write the Doctor a bit more of a brain (when not being silly on pirate ships) and not spelling everything out quite so much.

Still not too keen on Mat Smith but he's not a disaster
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1261 on: 28 May, 2011, 09:56:17 pm »
There's an episode next week but I think that might be the last one before the break.

I hadn't checked, but there was just a "To Be Continued" at the end today, rather than a teaser for next week.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1262 on: 28 May, 2011, 09:59:41 pm »
I've checked. The BBC website has a trailer and a preview of next week's episode.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1263 on: 29 May, 2011, 07:48:52 am »
I need to watch that again to make sense of it.

I really can't be arsed to watch that again to make sense of it.  :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

gonzo

« Reply #1264 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:39:19 am »
I quite liked it! Interesting moral dilemma, no "world's going to end" moments and unpredicted kidnapping and replacement of amy.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1265 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:41:16 am »

I hadn't checked, but there was just a "To Be Continued" at the end today, rather than a teaser for next week.

According to the website there is an episode next week "A Good Man Goes To War"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1266 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:27:54 am »
Rubbish pair of episodes, that.  Cluttered, incomprehensible (even though the storyline was obvious) ...

I've got to agree with Mal Volio on this.  It hardly seemed worth making it into a pair of episodes, there didn't seem to be enough to flesh the time out.

The ending did explain some of what's been happening to Amy, but they didn't explain how she was replaced by "The Flesh", when we've only just met that. The Doctor also seemed quite happy to do away with that Doppelgänger, which isn't generally his approach to living things.  For that matter, he didn't seem to be too worried about the Doppelgängers that they left behind at the Monastery/Chapel/Factory to also go splosh with the monster.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #1267 on: 29 May, 2011, 11:28:51 am »
I'm sure he said something about molecular memory, but I need to watch it again.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1268 on: 29 May, 2011, 01:36:18 pm »
I can't believe the Doctor believes in homeopathy!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1269 on: 30 May, 2011, 04:44:27 pm »
I'm sure he said something about molecular memory, but I need to watch it again.

Yes, which probably means that the 200 year older Doctor previously killed by the girl in the spacesuit (which might be Amy's daughter) was the doppelgänger one.

I agree with MV.  It's all a bit of a load of tosh.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1270 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:34:32 am »
Yes, which probably means that the 200 year older Doctor previously killed by the girl in the spacesuit (which might be Amy's daughter) was the doppelgänger one.
What shoes was the "dead" Dr. wearing when he was topped by the spacesuit from the lake?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1271 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:01:39 pm »
ISTR from "Confidential" that Amy's wasn't the same. Twas more like a projection of her real body.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1272 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:15:01 pm »
ISTR from "Confidential" that Amy's wasn't the same. Twas more like a projection of her real body.

Oh well of course. How silly of us not to realise that - it all makes sense now. Hmmm...

I note this nonsense was written by the bloke behind Life on Mars. That's good - I can stop regretting missing those now.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1273 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:15:56 pm »
Yeah, not my favourite episodes.  In fact, this series is grating a bit.  Contradictions are fine as long as they're explained.  A lot seems to get shoved under the carpet and put down to the vagaries of timey-wimey. 

I do want to see what happens when Amy gives birth though, and I want to know when they switched her out.  When the Silents had her hostage? What's happened to the Silents, anyway?

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1274 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:24:14 pm »
I guess we just have to suspend our disbelief and enjoy the ride.

Well quite. It's not meant to be deep and meaningful. It's just a bit of fun.

The curmudgeons upthread need to lighten up a bit.

We're enjoying it.
There's no vibrations, but wait.