Author Topic: OD's Thread O'Tortoise  (Read 26210 times)

Re: OD's Thread O'Tortoise
« Reply #50 on: 10 October, 2014, 12:29:00 pm »
Isn't that lump his head, Del?
There's no fooling you is there Wow? It is the other end, the tail end, that has the cyst. It's not blocking anything and he can't hibernate this year. After winter we'll see if it needs operating to remove. That'll be £400 please!  :o
Apart from that and his earlier calcium deficiency, hence his shell shape, when he was younger and not with us, he is in very good condition. He's also growing spurs as he appears to have come of age, about 30 years now.

« Reply #51 on: 17 October, 2014, 02:14:27 pm »
Just heading out for a ride we went to a reptile shop and bought all that's needed to keep Harry happy during his confinement in the vivarium this winter. UV lamp, ceramic heater, ceramic socket for heater, timer and thermostat (that can be set for day and night temp. and light). A bargainicious £160, half of that was the timer and thermostat.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #52 on: 17 October, 2014, 03:21:52 pm »
Blimey, that's a lot -  couldn't you just get a new tortoise every year  :P

« Reply #53 on: 17 October, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »
Blimey, that's a lot -  couldn't you just get a new tortoise every year  :P
The Southend tortoise epidemic doesn't need any more freed tortoises. They are a plague around here, they invade the allotments and eat all the greens, the parks are stripped bare. When they migrate in the spring it's like a slow avalanche moving along the roads to the beach areas and back inland for the autumn. It was on BBC news a month ago warning about the upcoming migration, didn't you see it?  ::-)

« Reply #54 on: 12 March, 2015, 02:24:42 pm »
Alas we have a tortoise that has shuffled off her mortal coil and is no longer pining for the fjords.  :'(
Died over night and is now pushing up the daisies.
RIP Jessica.

« Reply #55 on: 21 March, 2015, 10:22:19 am »
Gogo in the vivarium. They have escaped from this by sliding the door and climbing over the plank!

Not escaped but removed for viv clean out.

« Reply #56 on: 21 March, 2015, 10:14:52 pm »
Sorry to hear about Jessica - how old was she?

Our Eddie (aged 6 9) was wandering the garden on 15th September August last and we left him out overnight mistakenly. (were fetching him in at that stage as the weather turns grim overnight towards the end of the year;  ::-))

Anyhoo - we never saw him again until this morning, when he emerged from a deep dug hole and spent the day basking in the sun.  He is wandering the kitchen just now, having drunk a lot of water and then peed it out again.  Thats a full 6 months of disappearance.  I'm going to weigh him tomorrow and see if he had any secret cake supplies with him. I'm going to give him into trouble for having avoided the referendum as well

I'm a bit gobsmacked - I had to hunt around a bit for his lamps and such like as they have been dispersed owing to my lack of belief in his continuing existence:

Edit: diary check forces me to add another month to his disappearance. 7 solid months. I've weighed him today but we can't find his medical records to see how that compares with last summer. One of the consequences of being posted as 'missed, presumed dead' I guess. Maybe he is secretly a ' Scottish Labour' member.

Donald

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #57 on: 23 March, 2015, 12:16:19 pm »
That's amazing, Donald.

Can we see a picture of Eddie?

Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #58 on: 23 March, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »
Sorry to hear about Jessica - how old was she?
We think about 70, not old really more middle aged.  :(

« Reply #59 on: 24 March, 2015, 05:15:57 pm »
That's amazing, Donald.

Can we see a picture of Eddie?

Sure. I have him on this phone. I just need to do that transfer upload download linkage business.

« Reply #60 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:04:59 pm »
OK, here's Eddie 2015:

emerging:

bathing:

feeding up:

eddie and the spds:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #61 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:16:46 pm »
Awww.  He's got a lovely shell  :)
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #62 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:25:19 pm »

« Reply #63 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:36:51 pm »
thanks Del - he was pyramided when we got him, and he has had a couple of trips to the Dick Vets in Embra.  His new shell growth is fine and he was doing fine generally last year: sufficient to embolden him to think he can do it all himself!

« Reply #64 on: 20 July, 2016, 11:12:37 am »
Our Vicious Killer Attack Tortoise, Harry,

has viciously attacked me while I was in the garden sorting out the rotary airer.
He tried to hamstring me by biting through my Achilles tendon so I couldn't run away from his homicidal intentions!

« Reply #65 on: 22 August, 2017, 02:13:17 pm »
Vicious Killer Attack Tortoise in action! He's already eaten the dog   :o ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5OivVdwyoM

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #66 on: 22 August, 2017, 05:40:39 pm »
Terrifying!
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #67 on: 22 August, 2017, 06:23:13 pm »
Wow a tortoise thread... I came across this fella in the middle of Padhams Green Road in May this year, so I helped him into a field... looked like he'd already been driven over but was still quite lively and a two handed job to pick up - I thought it was a toy at first!  Wish I'd taken it home at the time!.

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #68 on: 22 August, 2017, 07:24:58 pm »
Wow a tortoise thread... I came across this fella in the middle of Padhams Green Road in May this year, so I helped him into a field... looked like he'd already been driven over but was still quite lively and a two handed job to pick up - I thought it was a toy at first!  Wish I'd taken it home at the time!.
Probably released when the owner decided his "terrapin" was a little too big and had eaten all the fish in the pond/tank.

« Reply #69 on: 02 April, 2018, 08:28:54 pm »
Harry, our vicious killer attack tortoise, has come out of hibernation and the hole he dug himself into ~mid October. He has noticeably grown!

« Reply #70 on: 10 March, 2019, 07:05:12 am »
I was going to the shed when I spied a large lump of mud that was viciously looking at me! It was Harry coming out of hibernation! Noticeably bigger again!
Gogo buried himself in the garden too but being much smaller, with less mass to warm up, woke up a fortnight ago.
They'll live in the back room and vivarium until April.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #71 on: 20 March, 2019, 09:43:16 pm »
Good news, Del.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #72 on: 13 April, 2019, 02:32:09 pm »
Harry and Gogo had a mini hibernation from Thursday - a couple of hours ago, it's been that cold here!

« Reply #73 on: 20 September, 2019, 08:20:06 am »
Tortoise racing, with cheesy muzak, what's not to like?  :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/UX3zTGgTYQo

« Reply #74 on: 18 February, 2021, 10:25:42 am »
Our Vicious Killer Attack Tortoise, Harry,

Harry has died and at a very young age, ~35 years. He had a stroke at the end of last summer and he toughed it out until now.