Author Topic: When to start back after a cold  (Read 932 times)

When to start back after a cold
« on: 23 February, 2010, 01:10:05 pm »

I am keen to get back to the gym for cardio and weights but have the remenants of a cold.

After a bad cold do you wait for all symptoms to go completely or assume that you are ninety five percent better and hope that exercise will flush out the remainder.

Put it another way how more likely is it to make symptoms worse if a cough and a bit of a sniffle remain before returning to excercise.

Tricky question but thought worth asking.

Thanks

Re: When to start back after a cold
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:02:12 pm »

Gone to the gym.

The Mechanic

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2010, 09:24:46 am »
You should try pneumonia.  My wife wont even let me out of the house without an electric blanket.  Every time I mention bikes she threatens to phone her divorce lawyer.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2010, 09:02:41 pm »
General rule of thumb: If it's above the neck, you can train if you feel like it.  If it's below the neck, don't train.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2010, 09:05:11 pm »
I usually try and flush it out, but sometimes this results in a clear day followed by one really bad relapse.

What cycling is good at is preventing coughs and chest infections after a cold; I rarely get a cough at all, because all the gunk ends up on the roads of east Swindon.  Where it should be.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.