Author Topic: Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2020  (Read 32667 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2020
« Reply #100 on: 18 October, 2019, 04:14:28 pm »
From LRM Rules:
1.5 Rule:
"The distance of the course will be determined by the shortest distance between controls capable of being cycled safely on road. The time limits will be calculated by dividing this distance by the overall minimum [] average speeds applicable."
1.3 Rule "Overall average minimum speeds for events shall be as follows
1.3.3 For events from 1900 to 2499 km: 10 kph"
So riding an average of 240km will get a rider LRM randonneur homologation, I guess, called a 'raid' or whatever.

The wording seems to indicate the format is "different" although when i look at the LRM raids, they are described as 10kmh randonée so...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #101 on: 18 October, 2019, 08:31:52 pm »
And I've also just realized Im fretting about stuff Phil W has already answered my questions on.  :-[

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #102 on: 20 October, 2019, 12:22:07 pm »
Just received an email that pre-registration is now open for a non-refundable 25 euro. The organisers estimate an upper limit of 300 participants.

Although I really like the 220 hour "raid" option, I haven't jumped the gun (yet) as it requires a SR in 2020 and there is no 600km brevet in the Netherlands before WAWA starts :(

It states "[WAWA is run] under the rules of Audax Club Parisien and Les Randonneurs Mondiaux.", so I guess it's now official that the 220 hour option also results in a LRM homologation? (what can I say, I'm a sucker for awards  ;D)

« Reply #103 on: 20 October, 2019, 02:26:25 pm »
Pre registered now for the 220 hour limit. Looking forward to the new season already!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #104 on: 20 October, 2019, 02:44:27 pm »
Payment timing isn't ideal
But I think I'm out any way as I can't make an SR fit by that point in the year

« Reply #105 on: 20 October, 2019, 03:46:04 pm »
Pre- registered for the 220hrs. Now time to start sorting out qualifiers and getting the miles in. Also gotta decide how to do accommodation....

« Reply #106 on: 20 October, 2019, 03:47:15 pm »
Hi guys,
Seriously thinking about entering wawa as the route looks both fascinating and terrifying in equal measures!!
Living in North East England was thinking of maybe driving to the ferry in Holyhead and then going across as foot passenger with the bike to Dublin. Just trying to figure out the logistics of getting to the start and back to Dublin after the finish. Anyone with knowledge /experience of travelling on public transport to and from Dublin with a bike?. Is it doable or not worth the hassle? Any advice appreciated

« Reply #107 on: 20 October, 2019, 03:55:47 pm »
Does the 220 hour option qualify for AUK championship points?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #108 on: 20 October, 2019, 04:59:01 pm »
Hi guys,
Seriously thinking about entering wawa as the route looks both fascinating and terrifying in equal measures!!
Living in North East England was thinking of maybe driving to the ferry in Holyhead and then going across as foot passenger with the bike to Dublin. Just trying to figure out the logistics of getting to the start and back to Dublin after the finish. Anyone with knowledge /experience of travelling on public transport to and from Dublin with a bike?. Is it doable or not worth the hassle? Any advice appreciated

IIRC from when I looked at the options from Stranraer
Derry to Belfast Central - No bike bookings on Translink
Belfast Central to Dublin - Bike booking required.

« Reply #109 on: 20 October, 2019, 05:30:13 pm »
Another question which occurs to me is can the pre-requisite SR series include DIY or perm events?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #110 on: 20 October, 2019, 06:04:47 pm »
Just received an email that pre-registration is now open for a non-refundable 25 euro. The organisers estimate an upper limit of 300 participants.

Although I really like the 220 hour "raid" option, I haven't jumped the gun (yet) as it requires a SR in 2020 and there is no 600km brevet in the Netherlands before WAWA starts :(

It states "[WAWA is run] under the rules of Audax Club Parisien and Les Randonneurs Mondiaux.", so I guess it's now official that the 220 hour option also results in a LRM homologation? (what can I say, I'm a sucker for awards  ;D)

Not wanting to enable you, but from the Belgian thread:

21/05/20   Villance   600 km

Oh, and assuming Longer can replace shorter, the Dutch do have a 1200 you could do that is before the WAWA. In fact, it's the same date as the 600 in Belgium...

Just sayin'

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #111 on: 20 October, 2019, 06:19:34 pm »
Another question which occurs to me is can the pre-requisite SR series include DIY or perm events?

And does it have to be BRM?

I've definitely gravitated towards giving it a miss this time, I've got other targets and I've realized rides like this need full on targeting, and I'm having enough trouble deciding between riding the Highland fling 1000 and a 200 that would lead towards the Audax Highlands SR that I kind of wanted.

Spotted a few rides from Belfast on this years Audax Ireland Calendar  that I'd find easy enough to get to, and a Mille Failte or similar when it comes around again.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #112 on: 20 October, 2019, 06:20:22 pm »
Bolox.  Hadn't noticed the SR qualifying requirement.
That's a load of extra hassle. don't they know who I am?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #113 on: 20 October, 2019, 07:04:28 pm »
I asked Rory about the SR requirement and he answered that PBP and the SR2500 I rode in 2019 were "certainly adequate". He will update the requirements to include a 'backwards compatibility' exception clause from the 184 to the 220 hour edition.

And since my ulnar nerves have now pretty much recovered from PBP, lessening my worries on that front, I have just completed the pre-registration :thumbsup:

rob

« Reply #114 on: 20 October, 2019, 08:40:38 pm »
Bolox.  Hadn't noticed the SR qualifying requirement.
That's a load of extra hassle. don't they know who I am?!?

You mean you wouldn’t ride an SR anyway ? Call yourself an audaxer ?

rob

« Reply #115 on: 20 October, 2019, 08:44:15 pm »
This now clashes with something else I’ve entered.  It will have to wait for another time.

Phil W

« Reply #116 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:33:00 am »

Did you not do PBP this year?  You can use that for entry to either the 184 hour or 220 hour event.

Phil W

« Reply #117 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:40:19 am »
Hi guys,

Train Dublin to Cork. About 7km ride from ferry port to the Dublin station you need. Guards van in 2016, take short bit of rope or bungy cord to hold your bike upright. Then about 20-30km ride Cork  to Kinsale.  The Iona Inn, Derry which I believe they are using again for accomodation / finish party next year is about 5 mins (walk) from the railway station. Local stopper train to Belfast, no bike bookings but friendly guard, and it wasn't busy last time. Then fast train Belfast to Dublin.

Note ferries can be late so (in 2016) we missed the Cork train we were booked on. But a quick trip into the station booking office and they moved us to the next train no issues.

« Reply #118 on: 21 October, 2019, 10:52:01 am »
Thanks. Looks promising.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #119 on: 21 October, 2019, 11:25:14 am »

Did you not do PBP this year?  You can use that for entry to either the 184 hour or 220 hour event.

Yeah, that wasn't clear though as it seemed to say you needed an SR in 2020 to enter the 220 even though PBP 2019 would get you into the 184hr.
But I was clearly not up for it enough to change plans and set up a season round it.

I've been to the west coast of Ireland a couple of times before just not on a bike, I had thought of doing Mizzen to Malin as a tour which was part of the interest.
The Antrim 300 and similar are much more appealing even with a day of travel either side.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #120 on: 21 October, 2019, 01:09:43 pm »
Ah it's in the fuller info
"Anyone who qualifies for the 184 hour but wishes to ride the 220 hour will of course be welcome to do so"

IroIroMono is trying to talk me round.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #121 on: 21 October, 2019, 01:44:10 pm »
It worked...
Working out the logistics for some reason picked me up again.

Anyone used Sail&Rail Belfast to Scotland with a bike?
There is a Bus to Ayr but used to be Stranraer, but neither time I used it I had a bike with me

« Reply #122 on: 21 October, 2019, 02:04:06 pm »
It worked...

There is a Bus to Ayr but used to be Stranraer, but neither time I used it I had a bike with me

You won't be allowed to take your bike on the bus, the only option you have is train to Stranraer then ride up to Cairnryan.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #123 on: 21 October, 2019, 02:23:48 pm »
It worked...

You won't be allowed to take your bike on the bus, the only option you have is train to Stranraer then ride up to Cairnryan.

Well going the other way, worked out it makes sense to go Via Holyhead to get to Cork with SailRail/RailSail working out cheaper than Dundee->Belfast->Dublin-Cork (Scotrail's Sail&Rail only goes to Belfast)

What I'm more interested in is,
Does Sail&Rail cover the Stranraer to Ayr train if you have a bike; or do I need to buy the 12 quid ticket from Stranraer to Ayr to cover that bit?

« Reply #124 on: 21 October, 2019, 03:59:49 pm »
I've completed Madrid Gijon Madrid in August/2018. Is it enough to qualify for the 184 hours group? I'm in doubt about what means "2018/2019 season":

1 - an ACP season 2018/2019 (the one that begins in November/18 and finishes in October/2019); or...

2 - two full years (2018 and 2019 - 24 months).