Author Topic: Removing a tyre from a tubeless rim  (Read 1310 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Removing a tyre from a tubeless rim
« on: 23 June, 2020, 09:37:16 am »
Developed a slow puncture in the front tyre on the MTB. Tried to repair it but just can't get the bastard off the rim.

It's a tubeless compatible wheel and I'm guessing the problem is the 'shoulder' on the inside of the rim. It's simply impossible to insert a tyre lever under the bead, just too tight.

Any suggestions?

Just glad it was a slow puncture that I discovered at home, and not a fast puncture that happened out on the trail...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Removing a tyre from a tubeless rim
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:50:49 am »
are both beads pushed to the middle of the rim?

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:03:00 am »
are both beads pushed to the middle of the rim?

I'm trying to achieve this but they're so damn tight I can't get them over the inner 'shoulder'.

Is it just a case of needing a bit of brute strength? Or is there some clever technique I can use?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:59:22 am »
using my thumbs worked every time so far. find someone with stronger hands?.. :) or lay the wheel flat on the floor and step onto the tyre?

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:02:36 am »
Standing on the tyre might be worth trying.

I found a video by a mechanic with a similar problem. He put the tyre in a vice. Not sure I fancy that - I want to be able to reuse the tyre!

It's really frustrating - normally I can get most tyres off most rims with just my thumbs.

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2020, 06:11:27 pm »
They can be tough as nuts to get away from the hook, especially if there’s cured sealant holding them in place. Just grab the deflated tyre, like you’re picking up a kitten, by the scruff, and give it the old heave ho ( the tyre, not the kitten ). It should break free with enough heaving and ho-ing.
Loving life with a beautiful Bianchi.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:12:01 pm »
Fairly recent phenomenon but yes 'shouldered' rims are absolute bastards to shift tyres from.

So far there hasn't been one that's defeated me but it's been a close run thing a couple of times.

Special shout out to the penny pinching fuckers manufacturers who spec tubeless ready rims AND tyres but fit an undersize nylon rim tape with a tube. Not only is the bastard tyre a twat to shift but it's a grand slam redoubled in bastards because the tyre sticks to the fucking rim tape as well. Meaning you have to shift it twice.

If this rant is giving you the idea that I am somewhat underwhelmed by fucking, shitty, tubeless tyre setups, all I can say is 'Fuck 'em!'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2020, 10:44:34 pm »
Both thumbs just above rim, hands over tyre, and push bead in.

fuzzy

« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:02:39 pm »
Don't use thumbs. Use the heel of the hand and break the bead all the way round on both sides. One it pops in one part it is a lot easier.

« Reply #9 on: 24 June, 2020, 04:19:35 pm »
Don't use tubeless rims and you wont have that problem. :thumbsup:

On a more helpful note,
Have you considered a tyre jack?

« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:52:44 pm »
Old fashioned steel levers are thinner and can get in to gaps where no plastic or aluminium lever will ever go.
I always carry one now on every long ride, in addition to a couple of plastic ones.  Had several occasions to be thankful for doing so.

« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:22:19 pm »
Fairly recent phenomenon but yes 'shouldered' rims are absolute bastards to shift tyres from.

Which is, of course, a Good ThingTM when you realise that your rear tyre pressure has fallen to about 10psi half way through the twisty local descent of Greenhow Hill. Forgetting to top up the sealant was my fault, but serious consequences were staved off by said shouldered rim.

« Reply #12 on: 25 June, 2020, 07:01:00 am »
The problem is a combination of the shouldered rim and the sealant holding it in place.  Sometimes it can be really difficult.  There is certainly room for a small tool the help do this like the car tyre places have.

I will still stick with the tubeless although i can see in a shop situation it would be a pain in the neck.

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 25 June, 2020, 08:21:48 am »
The problem is a combination of the shouldered rim and the sealant holding it in place.

I should be grateful for small mercies as it isn't even a properly tubeless setup in this case - the rims are tubeless-compatible but currently have tubes installed. Not entirely sure if the tyres are tubeless-compatible, tbh.*

I watched a youtube video about removing car tyres yesterday for inspiration. One of those jobs I've thought about trying to teach myself in the past, but after watching that video I don't think I'll bother. It's something you need to do rarely enough that you might as well leave it to the pros.

Haven't got round to having another attempt at removing my bike tyres yet, though - might do that this afternoon...

*ETA: one from the "pays to check" department - turns out the Maxxis Ardent is indeed a tubeless-ready tyre after all. Doh! Might go the whole hog and set it up properly if I can ever get the bastards off the rims...

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:03:56 pm »
I finally managed to get it off this evening - eventually resorted to using a wide flat-bladed screwdriver, gently working it down between the bead and the rim then twisting to prise them apart. Once a small section was off the shoulder, the rest came away easily. And once the bead was in the rim well, it was easy to get it off with just my thumbs - although I only did one side, just enough to get the tube out.

Then discovered the rim was already taped with tubeless tape, and since I have some spare tubeless valves in the parts box, and a large bottle of sealant, I decided not to bother putting the tube back in.  :thumbsup:

Tbh, the thick layer of tape might have been part of the reason it was so hard to get off.

Considering doing the other tyre tomorrow.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 26 June, 2020, 10:21:37 pm »
Once a small section was off the shoulder, the rest came away easily

well dooh
no offense but this is how these tyres just work