Author Topic: Dummy hub/chain keeper  (Read 3561 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Dummy hub/chain keeper
« Reply #25 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:58:27 pm »
None of my bikes have the little nubbin on the frame, and I don't have a widget either.

If a bike is up on the stand for a clean beyond a quick hose-down, then the chain comes off via the quick link for a dunk in the cleaning bath where it stays till the rest of the cleaning is complete. In fact, it's the first thing off to avoid it dragging its dirty oily self all over the frame.  Any cleaning involved enough to include a removed rear wheel also involves a removed chain.

I don't have a cleaning scenario that involves a wheel out without the chain coming off too.

« Reply #26 on: 11 October, 2020, 10:11:38 pm »
lube in pressurised containers (wd-40, gt-85 and other) can easily contaminate discs. regular drip lube stays on the chain (unless someone overlubes and spins cranks as fast as possible, then maybe..).

I must have imagined it, then

::-)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #27 on: 11 October, 2020, 10:21:00 pm »
lube in pressurised containers (wd-40, gt-85 and other) can easily contaminate discs. regular drip lube stays on the chain (unless someone overlubes and spins cranks as fast as possible, then maybe..).

I must have imagined it, then

::-)

yes :D

disc rotor should not get contaminated from drip lube, there are other reasons why it might - road grime, touching with greasy skin/gloves, spray lube

« Reply #28 on: 11 October, 2020, 10:40:08 pm »
And drip lube

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #29 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:30:31 am »
My chain keeper is an old QR saddle-post clamp with a couple of big washers either side of a ball bearing and a bit of tube to space it in from the drop-out.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:31:00 am »
I don't have a cleaning scenario that involves a wheel out without the chain coming off too.

Yes, that's the kind of situation I had in mind with my earlier comment about it depending on your approach to chain cleaning. Yours is a perfectly valid approach, it's just not my approach...

Anyway, I don't want to make this a question of right/wrong methods because there is no definitive answer on that. I'm only really interested in whether those who use these devices find them any good and if they have any recommendations. Flatus and Giropaul have pretty much answered that for me.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #31 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:31:22 am »
My chain keeper is an old QR saddle-post clamp with a couple of big washers either side of a ball bearing and a bit of tube to space it in from the drop-out.

Neat!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: 12 October, 2020, 05:43:57 pm »
Most of my bikes have a Pedro's Chain Keeper for storage, but not for chain cleaning.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #33 on: 12 October, 2020, 05:49:27 pm »

Ditto-ish - my skewer has a sprocket from a rear mech on it and piece of tube, with washers either end, so I can also use it to protect the rear dropouts if transporting the bike without the rear wheel in place (that's on the ali and Ti machines - the plastic has through axles that do the job)

« Reply #34 on: 12 October, 2020, 06:11:35 pm »

My chain only comes off to be replaced. And wheels only come off on disc bikes for the reasons I mention above. Rim brakes....not a problem, any lube contamination on the rim doesnt really matter. On discs even a slightly greasy fingerprint can cause issues.

If you use on of the really light lube & clean fluids like Rock and Roll Absolute dry, then you have to soak the chain then turn the cranks and it will end up on your disc eventually....despite what Zigzag says. I've had it happen quite a few times which was the principal reason for getting a chain keeper.

Now that it is autumn and I'm using a heavier lube (Rolls Pro or Synlube) it sticks to the chain well, and you just need to slowly drizzle and turn chain every now and again so the contamination risk is lower.

However, I still think it is good practice for my cleaning regime to remove the wheels, as I use MG Chain Cleaner to clean the cassette and I like to angle the wheel to limit water and chemical ingress.

Everyone has their own way of doing things and I'm always open to others suggestions*. What I will not accept is somebody telling me that what has happened to me is an impossibility.

* except mattc's

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 12 October, 2020, 06:58:57 pm »
Are we talking about these things?

I've got a couple for when I need to take the rear wheel off to transport the bike, the only problem is with the Focus RAT system it doesn't provide the counter to the tightening in order to stop the axle just turning and coming out.
I've got this type of Morgan widget:

It works very well for the scenario of wheels out (for easier cleaning), bike on stand, and they are cheap.

I do clean my bikes other ways as well. I therefore know everything. (Apart from what the point of disc brakes is).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #36 on: 12 October, 2020, 09:16:37 pm »
I've got this type of Morgan widget:

That's the one I've ordered. Good to know it gets the mattc seal of approval.  :thumbsup:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #37 on: 12 October, 2020, 10:47:04 pm »

I therefore know everything. (Apart from what the point of disc brakes is).

To annoy people, why else would I have them and hope hubs?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 13 October, 2020, 12:27:01 am »

My chain only comes off to be replaced. And wheels only come off on disc bikes for the reasons I mention above. Rim brakes....not a problem, any lube contamination on the rim doesnt really matter. On discs even a slightly greasy fingerprint can cause issues.

While true, in practical terms that's offset by rims being so much easier to contaminate.  I've yet to contaminate a disc brake by anything other than careless use of GT85 or touching the disc with greasy fingers - both of which are easy to avoid once you've learned that lesson.  Rims are in the dripping line of chains and hubs, and can become contaminated without warning mid-ride, a problem which is exacerbated by the generally poor wet weather performance of rim brakes.

OTOH, you can often decontaminate a rim by riding through a muddy puddle or two.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 15 October, 2020, 06:56:12 pm »

I therefore know everything. (Apart from what the point of disc brakes is).

To annoy people, why else would I have them and hope hubs?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
That's very kind of you - now I do know everything  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

KM

« Reply #40 on: 22 October, 2020, 05:59:40 am »
I realise that the OP has ordered a Morgan Blue chain keeper - I have one, it’s okay - but for anyone wanting something more substantial and versatile, at least for QR axle bikes, I’d recommend the “PRO Chain retention device - for QR Tool”:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Chain-retention-device-one-size/dp/B01L06YK4Y

A cheaper DIY solution not mentioned so far includes something like an old fax roll inner cut to length with a spare QR skewer passed through the middle. The Pro device would be my preference though.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.