Author Topic: best off line route planning software?  (Read 2522 times)

Euan Uzami

best off line route planning software?
« on: 05 August, 2011, 05:59:37 pm »
What bike gps comes with the best off line route planning software?
Either os style, or google maps style, but must be much better rendering than map source, and local data i.e.not dependent on the internet.

Euan Uzami

Re: best off line route planning software?
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2011, 06:16:12 pm »
a memory map ?
is it just me or is maps only almost cost as much as a unit that comes bundled with maps?

« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2011, 06:17:05 pm »
Does MemoryMap come with a GPS ?

« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2011, 08:23:09 pm »
Garmin's Base Camp reads the map from teh GPS and you can then plan, import and export.

All the mapping programmes have the same problem though, Ordnance Survey's tight controls.

Updating means rebuying all the maps, which can be expensive.

One I cannot recommend is Anquet on the MAC. Limited functionality, very unstable and difficult to use.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2011, 10:51:28 pm »
Basecamp is internet-dependent though.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2011, 11:39:49 pm »
The maps in Memory Map do look nice, but I don't like using it for drawing (on-road) routes. Because it is just a bitmap, it can't do any sort of autorouting etc. Its also fiddly to accurately plot points, so you can end up with them at the wrong side of junctions etc.

I usually use Mapsource for route planning. What maps are you using in it? Some maps look better than others.

Euan Uzami

Re: Re: best off line route planning software?
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2011, 04:27:51 am »
Does MemoryMap come with a GPS ?
yes, if I've read it right. you can get an adventurer 3500 for 380 quid, whereas memory map full uk on it's own seems to be 300 quid! so that effectively means the device itself is only 80 quid?

Euan Uzami

« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2011, 04:32:29 am »
lack of updating or routing might be something I'm prepared to sacrifice. more curious as to whether memory map has any similar rivals I haven't looked at, and whether there is something I've missed in its pricing model.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2011, 07:23:58 am »
oh, well answered the latter question. the 300 quid one is the premium edition with satellite imagery, the normal is 200 quid.I'm pretty sure the unit doesn't come with premium, which makes it 180 quid rather than 80.

« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2011, 08:21:05 am »
Basecamp is internet-dependent though.

Are you sure? I haven't noticed this, although I do normally have internet connected when using it.  I have just tried it OK with no connection. 

A plus for Basecamp, if you have the GPS connected  is that it lets you see the OS data on the PC screen.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 06 August, 2011, 10:43:21 am »
No I'm not sure, so I'll sit corrected.  (Can you guess, I've never used it?)

Alternatives to Memory Map - they're all much of a muchness in that OS is OS, and all have quirky * UIs.  (* quirky is being polite)
But you might find bundled deals with Tracklogs, for example.
Mem Map is particularly attractive for those who spend time in France, as it does IGN as well as OS, and very cheaply too.

Mapsource - agreed the rendering is hard to stomach at first, but even so this is what I use because:
* maps match what will be in the GPS (eg junction locations are identical)
* great detail coverage (to house number level) of W Europe (Metroguide or City)
* coverage of anywhere in the world (by adding OSM maps)
* very good Track handling (cutting / reversing / joining / downsampling etc etc)
* very useful 'snap to map point' feature (a point placed on a junction sits exactly on that junction - this is very noticeable later, and very solid-feeling, when you are following the route on road)
* best interface with GPS (especially Etrex) for transfer of data.

Downsides -
* poor rendering, see below
* poor tool set overall, has to be supplemented by using other software, notably WinGDB3
* routepoints (or 'via' points) uneditable
* routing, if you use it, can be misleading (does not match GPS)
* fussy with mal-formed files (many imported GPX files just show an error)
* more or less abandoned by Garmin now, in favour of BaseCamp

Rendering -
Mapsource probably installs to an early version, typically v6.13 or lower.  It can be updated using the latest version from Garmin's site, and this offers what I would describe as 'different' rendering.  'Different' as in, what is newer is not always better.  NB that the very latest version also requires XP SP3 or newer.
You can see screenshots of both renders side by side, and read more about upgrading/downgrading Mapsource,
here
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #11 on: 06 August, 2011, 01:25:05 pm »
lack of updating or routing might be something I'm prepared to sacrifice. more curious as to whether memory map has any similar rivals I haven't looked at, and whether there is something I've missed in its pricing model.
For alternatives with OS maps, look at Anquet, Tracklogs, Fugawi and Mapyx Quo. Some of these might be a fair bit cheaper than Memory Map, depending on what maps and area you need. eg Tracklogs or Mapyx are both about £120 for 1:50K of whole GB.
For Mapyx, you can download the software for free, then buy individual tiles of 1:50K 40x40 km for about £1 each. So cheap if you just need a small area. Though I've never tried it myself.