Author Topic: RR: Brian Chapman Scenic 2007  (Read 2158 times)

Maladict

RR: Brian Chapman Scenic 2007
« on: 12 April, 2008, 07:36:50 pm »
Executive summary: packed at 400km.

Bloody hell, Elan valley against that wind (and the driving rain).  After having got to Menai Bridge at about 01.40 with garry and raj (also doing the Scenic) about the same time, I tried to eat something and my stomach decided to rebel.  Nearly threw up, and then lay on the floor trying to get some kip, but all I managed was to shiver intensely, so decided the game was up.

Unfortunately, no accomodation available in Menai or Bangor, so I set off back to Dolgellau with another rider - John Chapman, who was "Mr White" from my Brevet Cymru RR.  Stomach did not like the climb away and I considered heading back to Bangor to wait for the first train, but some internetting on the 'phone and John's call to National Rail enquiries suggest that wouldn't work.

'phoned control to let them know we were packing but would still try to get there, and then pushed on.  We got back about 9.30ish as Mark was just leaving, and he asked if we were packing, which the answer was yes - we were actually still inside BR time despite having stopped frequently - mostly because John was feeling very sleepy.  I was OK, but tired by the time we reached Dolgellau.  A small cheat in that we skipped the second climb of the return route by switching to the out route.  I didn't think I'd be able to do another 200km and starting with no time in hand from Dolgellau seemed like it'd be very foolish.  We ate some left-over food from the control - sausages and baked beans.  Some train issues - engineering works - and also the suggested route used a Virgin train which required bike reservation.  We considered leaving the bikes and collecting them on Monday.  However, John looked at his road map and there seemed to be a different route:

We managed to get a train from the southern station at the toll bridge - going via Shrewsbury and Newport.  This left at 13.06 and arrived at 7.12 in Chepstow.  John headed to his car and I went to the finish control to get something to eat and see if the others I knew had made it. Saw Charlotte stride in looking as fit as a fiddle, and Juliet was there but found out she'd packed, got rather further than I did though!

List of lame excuses:

- not sleeping well
- no breakfast
- starting 8 mins late (riding with the group would've meant 2h in hand at Bronllys instead
  of only 1h)
- feeling run down at the end of last week
- missing left turn at school on first stage for scenic route
- going back to left turn rather than staying on 2004 route for that bit
- not eating enough during the Elan Valley stage.  Didn't feel like energy powder at the time.
- doing the Scenic route.   ;D

The Elan Valley section was the hardest thing I've ever tried on a bike.  I was actually surprised to end up at the next control with 1h30 in hand when I arrived, and I managed to arrive at Dolgellau with 1h45 in hand, but the Llanberis pass cost me some time as I only had 1h30 in hand when I arrived at Menai.  It was very pretty in the Elan valley, though.

I shall be consulting the calendar, perhaps something a little easier next time.  Mark said to come back next year and try the 2004 route.   ;D

Simon

PS Chapeaux to all those who completed.