Author Topic: Recommended mirror for Schlitter open cockpit J-Bars?  (Read 2215 times)

Recommended mirror for Schlitter open cockpit J-Bars?
« on: 01 November, 2020, 11:02:32 pm »
Can anyone recommend me a mirror that works well with the Schlitter open cockpit J-Bars?
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Recommneded mirror for Schlitter open cockpit J-Bars?
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2020, 11:14:06 pm »
Will the bar end be occupied?  That will limit your options.

If you can use the bar-end, your bar/seat/arm configuration will likely determine how much the mirror needs to stick out sideways.  I imagine something like the Myrricle could always be made to work, but something like those stubby Cateye ones for drop bars might be occluded by your wrist.

Starter for 10: B&M Cyclestar with the band-on mount anywhere further up the bar from the controls.  Shorter arm likely fine.  There are disappointingly few mirrors with band-on mountings that aren't made of cheese.

« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:41:41 am »
My handlebar ends are occupied.
So I use a bar end on my bars.
Then stick the first arm of a Myrricle mirror in the open end of the bar ends.
Then the mirror on that arm.
That's one option if you've the room on your bars.

Luck ...........  ;D

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:05:32 pm »
Will the bar end be occupied?  That will limit your options.

If you can use the bar-end, your bar/seat/arm configuration will likely determine how much the mirror needs to stick out sideways.  I imagine something like the Myrricle could always be made to work, but something like those stubby Cateye ones for drop bars might be occluded by your wrist.

The ends aren't occupied as such (I'm be using XT M8000 Rapid Fire shifters), but because of the design of the double J-bars, am not sure that a mirror mounted there would be in my line of sight. I think she might be using Zefal Spy mirrors in this pic:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Recommended mirror for Schlitter open cockpit J-Bars?
« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:14:22 pm »
That does seem like a better position for a mirror generally.  Less sticky-out.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:18:15 pm »
Yes those spy mirrors work well. Had them for years on the Bacchetta.
I use one that clips on my glasses* on the other recumbents, can see more around me with that one as can move my head to where I want to look behind.

*Can be clipped to a helmet if you wear one

« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:50:01 pm »
I use eyewear mirrors on two wheeled bikes. I think DTek are still advertising some Take-a-Look mirrors on eBAy.

« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2020, 06:02:27 pm »
I use a B&M Cyclestar miirror on my trike. It comes with a bar end fitting and a bar band. I got one with a short stalk but the long stalk version might be better if using the band fitting on a bike.

« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:34:06 pm »
I have the soy mirrors.  Get one for each side or you’ll be fairly blind to stuff on your left hand side like upwong riders trying to undertake on a club ride. :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:41:45 pm »
I have the soy mirrors.  Get one for each side or you’ll be fairly blind to stuff on your left hand side like upwong riders trying to undertake on a club ride. :facepalm:

My take on this is that a right mirror (or left, in ABROAD, where the FOREIGNS come from) is all you need for normal road traffic, apart from the rare event of having to merge to the left (eg. when coming off a flyover).

If you're going to be using shared-use paths, track racing or riding with habitual undertakers or similar is when the left mirror becomes invaluable.

I manage fine with one mirror on the tourer (I have a sacrificial bell occupying that space on the left to protect the shifters if it falls over), but fitted two to barakta's trike in anticipation of a lot of shared-use, and quickly fitted a second to the Red Baron when I started doing BHPC races.

« Reply #10 on: 04 November, 2020, 09:09:45 pm »
I've ordered a B&M Cyclestar (shortend, model 901/1) AND a Zefal Spy Mirror, so that i can try out both, also I might use the Zefal Spy Mirror on the left side and the Cyclestar on the right. Thanks for the advice.