Author Topic: Ruddy weather  (Read 3564 times)

Ruddy weather
« on: 20 June, 2022, 08:22:55 am »
We aren't growing much apart from Grass, no veg beds established yet.

However I had hoped we'd get a crop of apples this year. Tree was laden with blossom, it didn't get blown off.

Sadly, looks like we've lost the lot. No sign of the fruit buds, leaves are blackened. I think that the late storms (lashing rain and wind) have 'burnt' the tree.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Ruddy weather
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:07:20 am »
The lack of fruit setting could be a lack of a local pollinator.  Apples require a cross-pollinator of a compatible type to be in flower locally at the same time as your tree.  I have a small crab apple planted in a corner of the garden to perform pollination duties for my two apple trees.  I lost most of my blossom to a frost this year.  One or two lower branches have escaped and are bearing fruit but not a bumper crop.

Burnt looking leaves may have a number of potential causes from disease to soil deficiencies but if your weather conditions are anything like mine this year then the lack of rain and drying winds we have experienced may well be the cause of leaves going brown and dropping off.

« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:16:58 am »
My apple tree and the two I scrump from locally look to be doing really well but I am relatively Southern

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2022, 02:24:32 pm »
The lack of fruit setting could be a lack of a local pollinator.  Apples require a cross-pollinator of a compatible type to be in flower locally at the same time as your tree.  I have a small crab apple planted in a corner of the garden to perform pollination duties for my two apple trees.  I lost most of my blossom to a frost this year.  One or two lower branches have escaped and are bearing fruit but not a bumper crop.

Burnt looking leaves may have a number of potential causes from disease to soil deficiencies but if your weather conditions are anything like mine this year then the lack of rain and drying winds we have experienced may well be the cause of leaves going brown and dropping off.
There are 3 apple trees in close proximity. Two of them very stunted and overshadowed.

The tree has lost nearly all the leaves now. We are going to take it out and plant fruit trees elsewhere.

Multiple trees and shrubs in the garden have burnt leaves, including a well-established eucalyptus (which is normally very hardy).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2022, 12:02:08 am »
There are 3 apple trees in close proximity.

Doesn’t rule it out totally.  Not all apple trees will pollinate all other apple trees if that makes sense.  They have to be matching types.  But, yes, sounds like starting afresh might be the best bet, you can pick the most suitable site and cultivar(s).