Random Musings > Grow Your Own

What are your parsnips like?

(1/3) > >>

Wowbagger:
My dad, who knew a thing or two about gardening, always said "Wait until the first frosts before digging your parsnips." Well, in recent years, that would pretty much have meant waiting for ever, but this year we've had some real frosts, I sowed some parsnips in the spring (tra-la) and I've dug a few. They are mostly Very Small, which perhaps isn't surprising given the prolonged drought earlier in the year, but I did water them a fair bit.

I suspect that I should also have thinned them out - when I saw that they had germinated, I just didn't have the heart to kill the poor little things. Some were rather piled in together.

Wobbly John:
We have only dug 3 parsnips so far. One was badly forked. Size okay, but they seem a bit woodier than normal. Probably due to the very dry growing season. We are on a heavy clay subsoil.

IanDG:
Aunt Bessie', sitting in the freezer.

Basil:

--- Quote from: IanDG on 13 December, 2022, 11:19:03 pm ---Aunt Bessie', sitting in the freezer.

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:  :-[

The Family Cyclist:
Showing off that you should of thinned them wow. Think I've probably got about 7 having sown two rows. Haven't harvested yet. Don't think would get out the ground currently

Last year was similar germination but they were big and missed a couple which I harvested probably February/March time and we're massive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version