Random Musings > Grow Your Own

What are your parsnips like?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MikeFromLFE:
I've only lifted a few, but my impression is that they are much better than last year's.

Last year I got mostly small, tasteless specimens - which didn't (as far as I remember) fork.
This year they are forked, bigger and much more tasty.
I don't tend to thin them although I know I should, and they get as much attention as the beetroot - next to none.

JellyLegs:
After a great year last year, where I had parsnips coming out of my ears and was searching for new ways of using them up, this year was definitely payback.  Hardly any germinated and those that did came to absolutely nothing despite copious watering during the dry summer.  I pulled them all last week, not enough in total to make a plateful.

IanDG:

--- Quote from: Basil on 14 December, 2022, 12:13:09 am ---
--- Quote from: IanDG on 13 December, 2022, 11:19:03 pm ---Aunt Bessie', sitting in the freezer.

--- End quote ---

:thumbsup:  :-[

--- End quote ---

Seriously, looking forward to growing our own veg when settled in the new place 🙂

hellymedic:
Gave up growing these after subtotal failure.
Sainsbury's have supplied some nice roots.

Cudzoziemiec:

--- Quote from: MikeFromLFE on 14 December, 2022, 07:49:23 am ---I've only lifted a few, but my impression is that they are much better than last year's.

Last year I got mostly small, tasteless specimens - which didn't (as far as I remember) fork.
This year they are forked, bigger and much more tasty.
I don't tend to thin them although I know I should, and they get as much attention as the beetroot - next to none.

--- End quote ---
Are forked parsnips reckoned to be usually tastier?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version