Random Musings > Grow Your Own

Fuji cherry

(1/1)

Mrs Pingu:
Or Prunus incisa Kojo-no-mai, if you prefer.

My brother has given me a couple of these in tiny 9cm pots for xmas. I know they can be grown in pots permanently, but I'd rather have them in the garden.
Question for the learned - do I need to grow these weeny plants in pots for another year or two before I evict them into the garden, or can I shove them in now?

I'm also probably going to plant one in the North facing front garden, even though they prefer full sun, because I've got a space there. It may not work but I can try....?

rafletcher:
You can plant them now, and at any time. Personally I’d leave them in a sheltered bright outdoor position until the soil warms up in the spring. Sun or partial shade is ok.

Mrs Pingu:
I think I'm going to grow them in pots for a bit. I still haven't decided exactly where to plant them. I did think about digging a hole in the lawn and planting one in there but I'm a bit concerned the tiny wee things might get galumphed over by cats or penguins so maybe I'll let them get a bit bigger. Means I have to remember to water them though....

Mrs Pingu:
My teeny tiny cherries are now in flower, even though they are only about 8 inches tall.

Now all I need to do is choose another type of flowering cherry (or something) that is a bit bigger and more tree shaped, but not too big.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version