Random Musings > Where The Wild Things Are

Fishkeeping

(1/2) > >>

Wendy:
Something else is new, I started keeping tropical fish!  Mrs BM had promised miniMikey the pikey a goldfish, but upon some internet study I found that keeping one in a bowl was cruelty of note, so we went the full tank setup.

Anyone else here keep fish?

Tiger:
Kept fish for a long time.  We had Clown Loach, and Discus.  The loaches were very colourful black and orange and grew to a prodigious size by eating the neons we puit in from time to time. Also we think ate one of thewir own number which was quite impressive.
Discus are the most lovely tropicla fish and some of teh hardest to keep - they develop neurotic behaviour, and appear to be more intelligent than other fish types. They get quite tame and friendly - but can also be aggressive among themselves.
Gave up fish in the end as it is quite time consuming to do properly.

Tom M:
We've got a couple of tanks of freshwater tropical at the moment. One big one with some clown loaches, a big angel fish, some plecs, and various little ones. In the other little one we have a freshwater puffer, and another plec. The puffer had to be put in 'isolation' as he was rather aggressive towards the others and nipped at fins and chased some around. I thinks he's a bit Hannibal Lector to be honest as we decided to stick 10 neon tetra in there too with him to brighten things up. By the morning not one was left...

The main thing really if starting new is to build up slowly as it takes time for the water chemistry to balance out properly. Don't become attatched to the first few fish either as they may suffer because of this.

Wendy:
Cool!  Yes, I've done loads of studying, I didn't realise quite how complicated it all is at first.  I bought an oversized external filter, much better than the tiny internal one the tank came with.

little miss mac:
Minimikey#2 will love them too. Gus's first trip to an aquarium, aged 3.5 months, was a huge success and he loves the London aquarium. Our local pet shop has lots of fish tanks: free entertainment!

--- Quote from: BentMikey on 03 April, 2008, 08:56:45 am ---I bought an oversized external filter, much better than the tiny internal one the tank came with.

--- End quote ---
A whole new category of Gear and Kit to buy  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version