Author Topic: Hebridean Hundred  (Read 1780 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Hebridean Hundred
« on: 30 April, 2008, 11:54:37 am »
Did my first 100 of the year on Monday, 8hrs of cycling from Stornoway to Tarbert and back with a detour leg to Hushinish and back on the way out.

The day started dry, a northerly (15-20mph) wind made the first miles easy. As I approached the climb from Bho Glas , the roads became wet and the black clouds on the hills forced my decision to put my waterproof on - a decision I didn't regret. As I started the climb the rain started, and by the time I reached the top I got hit by a heavy shower - 'stair rods' bouncing off the road, which became hail stones within a half mile.

I dropped down past the quarry to Aird Ashaig at about 70kph - usually an 80kph+ descent but on the wet roads I took a bit more caution than usual.

From Aird Ashaig I took the single track out to Hushinish and back. Apart from a short stretch with Jaded last year, I haven't cycled the full length of this road before.   A twisting, undulating, roller coaster road that hugs the line where the Harris hills meet the sea. The climbs and the buffeting from a cross wind got me grovelling on the 'granny' gears on a number  of occasions.

Pics from the Aird Ashaig- Hushinish section.

Ruins of Bun Abhainn Eadarra Whaling station

probably the most remote (and underused) tennis court in the British Isles

Storm clouds over Gleann Mhiabhaig

Amhuinnsuidhe Castle, part of the historical North Harris Estate buyout

Approaching Hushinish, the Isle of Scarp in the background, scene of the fated 'Rocket post' experiment

road end - the small community of Hushinish

Back at Aird Ashaig, I turned right, away from Stornoway, and did the last few miles to Tarbert. I had forgotten my wallet, so couldn't visit the cafe, so I sat in the bus shelter and feasted on energy drink, nutri-grain bars and dried apricots, building up my reserves for the 60km headwind slog back to home

the 'high' point of the ride. At the road summit (150m), Clisham (the islands highest mountain @799m) in the background. about 115km down and 45km of headwind to go.

a few more pics here