Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813933 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #975 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:32:10 pm »
Was out on my 'first sunday of the month rides' only 2 others turned up today probably due to bad weather. Did a 20 mile ride out to the top off MK and back, with a pub stop of course.
Tried to set the local speed camera off, managed to do 61kph past it but no flash, perhaps I need a tinfoil hat  :-\

Rich.

« Reply #976 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:53:24 pm »
Yep.
Wet hills.
About to buy Salmon Koolstops and probably other stuff from Wiggle  :thumbsup:

Maladict

« Reply #977 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:55:37 pm »
Attempted to cycle to the gym.  It was closed.  Damnit.  >:(

Still got nearly 9 miles in I guess.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #978 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:20:22 pm »
Well not today, but I was camping over the weekend at Comberton, near Cambridge, with two other families. This is an annual event, which for many is their annual bike fettle, carried out by yours truly, and their annual bike ride. 

Fettling passed off OK, only one classic chain ring puncture in hand as I changed a pedal. And my front tyre has odd cuts in the sidewall.

Then off towards Coton and the US War Cemetery. Very moving.  Maddingly, Dry Drayton, Oakington, all on quiet lanes.  Lunch called so we decided to head to Long Stanton.  Blimey, The Black Bull.  One word: Don't.  So a pint in the garden and back to Oakington for pies from the Co-op, then home via Hardwick and a very bumpy bridleway.  No idea how far.  Great day.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #979 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:28:17 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

vince

« Reply #980 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:28:34 pm »
Bugger all - I'm on call again. And for some reason I've pulled two weekends of call-outs this month  :(

I'm hoping to get out tomorrow night, but I know I've got a couple of big files to prep for Tuesday. Dozing right now with the sun streaming through my window. I'm starting to wonder if I should get a turbo-trainer, although I'm not sure what my landlord would make of it!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #981 on: 06 July, 2008, 09:48:51 pm »
Lovely little pootle in the Cambs/Herts borders with Superstoker on the back of the tandem, and Butterfly on her Galaxy.  The 'hills' were very manageable, but the wind is a bit fierce on the plains. :(

We took planned refuge during the rain in a pub for lunch :)
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #982 on: 06 July, 2008, 10:30:29 pm »
no

:'(

annie

« Reply #983 on: 06 July, 2008, 10:34:08 pm »
no

:'(

What a good boy.  No punishment for you today :thumbsup:

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #984 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:34:22 am »
160k audax swim* in 10 hours 20 minutes yesterday. This was the first event I've ever attempted at 15kph, the last 100km I did took me 7 hours 25 minutes.

Somehow we got lost adding an extra 5 miles, plus a three mile commute before 8:30 (audax start time), I've done 108 miles in the last 24 hours.  :o

*it felt like it at times

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #985 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:35:11 am »
To the gym and back this morning. Very windy down here.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #986 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:45:18 am »
For once I am going to tell of a slow and relatively short ride; but what fun it was!

On Saturday I had various bits of shopping to do; the weather wasn't great, but Baby Gabrielle had been cooked up inside for too long and was in need of some outdoor activity. We therefore equipped ourselves for the weather and off we went. We cycled along the canal into Nottingham waving "Hiya" to everyone who wanted to hear it, including the ducks. In town we meddled with some traffic and said hello too to everyone who was looking at us; it was raining only a little and what fun it was! We went to Evans' first where Baby G, the rider, became the centre of attention, commanding respect for her bike taste as she was pointing at Cannondale and Bianchi racing machines. Having collected the jersey we needed, off we went again. We "parked" on Marquet Sq. in central Nottingham and the sun started to peak; running after the pigeons on the square proved great fun. A long stop at Waterstone's resulted in the purchase of four books, 1 for daddy ("Blazing Saddles" -- very much of actuality) and 3 for the young one. This "selection", I should stress G's choice, was the result of much reading, sat on the floor in the Children's section, and discussion (a minimum of 45 min.). We run further doing some minor purchase before riding back home. Riding through traffic in town resulted in much waving again, waving at the rugby coach which overtook us and at the little girl who seemed to look with envy at us from the rear seat of her daddy's SUV. We then took the canal path again and rode for a bit. We made it home dry in time for lunch and for the F1 qualifier which we both like. When this concluded both riders took a well deserved nap in front of the TdF coverage.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

vince

« Reply #987 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:49:35 am »
Nice post Dr F, sounds like an excellent way to spend a Saturday morning  :)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #988 on: 07 July, 2008, 09:10:44 am »
160k audax swim* in 10 hours 20 minutes yesterday. This was the first event I've ever attempted at 15kph, the last 100km I did took me 7 hours 25 minutes.

Somehow we got lost adding an extra 5 miles, plus a three mile commute before 8:30 (audax start time), I've done 108 miles in the last 24 hours.  :o

*it felt like it at times

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When's your dad got you booked on a 200km ride then.

Rich.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #989 on: 07 July, 2008, 09:40:38 am »

Half way round the ride yesterday YC asked 'Dad, if I manage to finish with time to spare, can I try a two hundred?'.

On the way home yesterday she said 'Dad, I don't think I'm ready for a two hundred yet.'.

Katie realises she is not ready for a 200 yet. I think she needs to do a few more 150s first, and maybe a 200 without the pressure of a time limit. Yesterday was the furthest she has ever ridden, and the fastest pace she has maintained on any ride she has done over 40 miles (her longest ride before this was 80 miles in about 11 hours). She had a bad spell between 80 and 90 miles, and had to dig deep, but came back strong again for the last 10 miles, flying down the road between Meriden and Hampton-in-Arden at about 20mph.

Well done Katie.

Well done to Mrs Chris too. It was her first 100 mile ride (she's gone to work this morining and asked if there are any jobs she can do sitting down).

« Reply #990 on: 07 July, 2008, 09:50:09 am »
I would just like to point out that I do have a week off this week, and what is the weather doing? I'll tell you what, the weather is taking the p**s that is what the weather is doing.

I'm going to put a new chain on the hack and go out anyway, so there!!!!!

annie

« Reply #991 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:28:04 am »

Half way round the ride yesterday YC asked 'Dad, if I manage to finish with time to spare, can I try a two hundred?'.

On the way home yesterday she said 'Dad, I don't think I'm ready for a two hundred yet.'.

Katie realises she is not ready for a 200 yet. I think she needs to do a few more 150s first, and maybe a 200 without the pressure of a time limit. Yesterday was the furthest she has ever ridden, and the fastest pace she has maintained on any ride she has done over 40 miles (her longest ride before this was 80 miles in about 11 hours). She had a bad spell between 80 and 90 miles, and had to dig deep, but came back strong again for the last 10 miles, flying down the road between Meriden and Hampton-in-Arden at about 20mph.

Well done Katie.

Well done to Mrs Chris too. It was her first 100 mile ride (she's gone to work this morining and asked if there are any jobs she can do sitting down).
Congratulations to them both, fantastic news.  You must be very proud?

annie

« Reply #992 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:29:18 am »
I would just like to point out that I do have a week off this week, and what is the weather doing? I'll tell you what, the weather is taking the p**s that is what the weather is doing.

I'm going to put a new chain on the hack and go out anyway, so there!!!!!

I agree.  I have ridden most days in the last two weeks and this weekend has been absolutely horrendous in terms of the weather, rain, bloody rain and far too much soddin wind.  It was however very refreshing and dare I use the term 'character building', didn't think so?

« Reply #993 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:40:07 am »
I've got enough character...............it is not the getting wet I mind so much these days as the cleaning of the bike everytime I go out.....now to find that new chain...

annie

« Reply #994 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:43:55 am »
I've got enough character...............it is not the getting wet I mind so much these days as the cleaning of the bike everytime I go out.....now to find that new chain...

I can't argue with that.

Nutkin is still fast asleep ::-)  I think she may not want to go out in the rain and wind again 8)  We could just enjoy a tea stop in Bury St Edmunds, I had planned a fair few miles and then a nice pub lunch but it will be lunch time soon.  Shall I wake her now or let her sleep?

« Reply #995 on: 07 July, 2008, 10:52:52 am »
WAKE HER UP!!!! I'm awake, you are awake she should be awake....

« Reply #996 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:31:32 am »
The usual 12 miles to work.  Rather wet.  Actually, very wet.  An interesting addendum to yesterday's wet 100 miles from Beverley to Darlington.

« Reply #997 on: 07 July, 2008, 11:34:35 am »
Chain now fitted, waterproofs dug out.....I have not ridden this bike since the FNRTTC to Southend. See you later..

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #998 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:10:20 pm »
Well done Katie.

Congratulations to them both, fantastic news.  You must be very proud?

Proud, and knackered. I packed on the Oundle 200 on Saturday, just over half way round after riding 30 miles to the start. I was going really well, but started to feel ill about 80 miles into the ride (the back of my neck was sore, all my joints started to ache, and I felt like I'd started to bonk even thought I'd drank about 5 litres and eaten plenty by then). The ride passed about 5 miles from home, so I peeled off and went home, had a shower and slumped in the arm chair. I woke up about half an hour later with severe cramp in my legs. I probably shouldn;t have ridden yesterday, but Katie had been looking forward to it for weeks and I didn't want to let her down (Mrs Chris would happily had stayed at home after she saw the weather forecast). I didn't feel too bad yesterday, but I feel like I've ridden more than 210 miles (a bit like I did after my first 100km audax).

« Reply #999 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:31:10 pm »
The usual 12 miles to work.  Rather wet.  Actually, very wet.  An interesting addendum to yesterday's wet 100 miles from Beverley to Darlington.

I spoke too soon.  After drying out, the rain started again at about 4.15, just in time for my leaving at 4.30.  I took the longer route, as my usual route is a swine for flooding.  Much difference it made:

The rain was so intense that I had to stop, as I couldn't see anything.  I tried to take refuge in the pub - not exactly expecting a warm welcome and a pint and a pie, but I was a bit upset that the miserable git wouldn't let me in because I'd "spoil his carpet".  He let me stand in the porch, though, and after the rain had eased off a bit, I set off again.

It was great fun - though I was shocked at some of the driving on show.  One woman sat a yard behind me until the road, ahead was clear, then accelerated past, straight into a puddle which spanned the road.  The car hit it with a wonderful, percussive ker-splash.  Later investigation showed that it was over a foot deep.

Anyway, I rode the whole way home with a big grin on my face, soaking wet.  A few drivers peeped their horns and gave me a thumbs-up - I even saw a couple of nutters out on their bikes :thumbsup: