Author Topic: How to fettle your bike in a race...  (Read 3542 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
How to fettle your bike in a race...
« on: 14 May, 2008, 11:22:31 pm »
1k to go and his chain breaks.. David Millar's calm and considered reaction..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xqTKaDmUr1w&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/xqTKaDmUr1w&rel=1</a>
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
Re: How to fettle your bike in a race...
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:25:47 pm »
That's one approach
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:26:23 pm »
Fair enough!  ;D

Jakob

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:48:53 pm »
He learned that from Bjarne Riis!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DFzteK_y1b4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/DFzteK_y1b4&rel=1</a>

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:53:10 pm »
It was terrible luck, though I'm not sure his reaction helped him much.    He was in contention for a stage win.  Millar seems to suffer inordinately from equipment failure - I recall a time trial in the TdF last year (I think) where his disk wheel sort of disintegrated, not long after he set off.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:28:01 pm »
It was terrible luck, though I'm not sure his reaction helped him much.    He was in contention for a stage win.
So would you have borrowed a chain tool from the crowd, fettled the thing back to life, then outsprinted the other buggers?

Hmmm ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:34:08 pm »
It was terrible luck, though I'm not sure his reaction helped him much.    He was in contention for a stage win.  Millar seems to suffer inordinately from equipment failure - I recall a time trial in the TdF last year (I think) where his disk wheel sort of disintegrated, not long after he set off.

Not to mention the time when the team manager ordered the front derailleurs from the TT bikes before the TdF prologue, resulting in a flurry of unshipped chains - including Millar's.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

David Martin

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:36:32 pm »

He had two specially constructed prototype ultra lightweight disk wheels made for him by Mavic. The lack of material meant that when he put the power on, the wheels disintegrated. It showed that whilst cyclists may know what they want, when it comes to engineering they really should trust those who know what the materials are capable of.

..d

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »
It's quite funny really. My chain came off in the last 1km of a 145 cyclo once. I just put it back on, but then I was only in a sprint for 300th place.

David Martin

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:35:02 pm »
It's quite funny really. My chain came off in the last 1km of a 145 cyclo once. I just put it back on, but then I was only in a sprint for 300th place.

His broke. It wasn't just unshipped.

..d

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2008, 04:00:28 pm »

His broke. It wasn't just unshipped.

..d

Ah well, that's alright then  ;)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2008, 10:22:04 pm »
To be fair, aside from losing any chance of winning the stage, that must have hurt...
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances