Author Topic: Six Nations 2018  (Read 12444 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Six Nations 2018
« Reply #75 on: 12 March, 2018, 12:59:54 pm »
Apparently more than 17000 spectators turnout up to watch the France v England Women's match. That's very encouraging. It was an excellent game as well, so they will have had their money's worth.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #76 on: 12 March, 2018, 03:37:05 pm »
The impression I gained, possibly falsely, was that the TMO was a higher ranking official and that he used that rank to influence the decision.

No the ref is the ranking arbiter of all decisions. The TMO is to advise the ref that's all.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #77 on: 12 March, 2018, 04:38:25 pm »
The impression I gained, possibly falsely, was that the TMO was a higher ranking official and that he used that rank to influence the decision.

No the ref is the ranking arbiter of all decisions. The TMO is to advise the ref that's all.

Yes, I know that's the case in the match, but the TMO was persistent and persuasive. I gained the impression from the interaction between the two that she was bowing to a higher authority. I know she didn't have to, but she did change her mind.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #78 on: 12 March, 2018, 05:06:08 pm »
OK.  Prediction time.  Who's brave enough?

I'll start.

1.  Engerland
2. Scotland
3. Ireland
4. France
5. Wales
6. Italylandshire.

Now, that's brave.  Don't tell my pub.   :demon:

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I'd stick to my day job.  If I had a day job.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #79 on: 14 March, 2018, 03:38:21 pm »

I'll start.

1.  Engerland
2. Scotland
3. Ireland
4. France
5. Wales
6. Italylandshire.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

I'd stick to my day job.  If I had a day job.

At least you, and I, had Italy in the right place [along with probably most people].  There's a very good reason that I don't gamble.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #80 on: 17 March, 2018, 01:03:11 pm »
It's a shame that the Scots match isn't easily available. Spring games in Rome always look so lovely. Looks like a good match too.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #81 on: 17 March, 2018, 02:30:14 pm »
Cracking game by all accounts! Well done <insert spoiler here...> ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #82 on: 17 March, 2018, 03:40:02 pm »
Wow! That was inspired...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #83 on: 17 March, 2018, 04:36:59 pm »
Me old pal Harry is dancing in Kelso.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #84 on: 17 March, 2018, 04:49:10 pm »
Magnificent Ireland.

My third team  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #85 on: 17 March, 2018, 04:52:05 pm »
Wheeeeee!

@EddieJones: How does that feel? Scummy?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #86 on: 17 March, 2018, 05:03:43 pm »
Not quite the result I was expecting at Twikers this afternoon, though I think by the end most of the Irish pack felt subconscious sorry for the Englandshitere. I’m not sure why Farrell bothered turning up today!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #87 on: 17 March, 2018, 05:59:46 pm »
My "inspired" comment earlier was to do with the decision of the Irish players to keep the ball alive even though 40 minutes were up. Many sides would have kicked into touch and taken the lead into half time, but they turned that possession into a try.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #88 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:05:47 pm »

I'll start.

1.  Engerland
2. Scotland
3. Ireland
4. France
5. Wales
6. Italylandshire.

Swap Scotland and Ireland and I think you have it.

Almost  ;D

« Reply #89 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:15:32 pm »
 Francois Trinh-Duc, oh dear ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #90 on: 17 March, 2018, 09:10:30 pm »
Francois Trinh-Duc, oh dear ...

Well, he dropped a goal early on.

Interesting that the kicking today was generally pretty poor, I thought (having watched only highlights of each of the games). England scored 3 tries and converted none of them. Ireland scored 3, converted the lot and added a penalty as well. Did Farrell have any other kicks at goal apart from those three? He has generally proved to be very accurate. All the Ireland tries had something interesting about them: firstly, the full back not managing to ground the ball and the question that was being asked about whether the first Irishman there knocked it on; secondly, the one against the post. I don't remember seeing that before; and finally, the fact that England had asked permission to extend their in-goal area by 3 metres but were allowed only 2. That last try would have been over the dead ball line had they left things as they were. Oh, and Mike Brown's pass/offload for the 3rd try looked decidedly forward.

It looks as though Wales rode their luck a little - 0 points in the second half.

I feel rather sorry for Italy, but congratulations to Scotland for sticking at it.

All in all, a very satisfactory 6 Nations!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #91 on: 18 March, 2018, 01:49:38 pm »
England have a side full of flair and pace but the best teams get the basics, and the ugly stuff, right first.

England seem to have lost the art of doing those two things and "flair" can only get you so far if you constantly hand over possession and penalties.

Ireland were superb at the basics (in defence and at the breakdown) and had just enough flair when needed (throughout the tournament).

I thought Stockdale's try, in the 2 added yards of pitch, was superb.  Talk about chasing down a lost cause, that was true desire.

At no point in the series did I ever think England looked like they may win the tournament.  They seemed 10% off the pace in all areas, all the time.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #92 on: 18 March, 2018, 02:37:39 pm »
I thought Stockdale's try, in the 2 added yards of pitch, was superb.  Talk about chasing down a lost cause, that was true desire.

Absolutely. The fact that the move started with a penalty that was awarded within the 40 minutes but taken, with its subsequent line out, after the clock turned red, speaks volumes. Ireland had all the possession and the try was scored 1m 35s later. That shows a hunger for points and a belief that they are good enough to get them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #93 on: 18 March, 2018, 06:28:08 pm »

Absolutely. The fact that the move started with a penalty that was awarded within the 40 minutes but taken, with its subsequent line out, after the clock turned red, speaks volumes. Ireland had all the possession and the try was scored 1m 35s later. That shows a hunger for points and a belief that they are good enough to get them.

I'm a Man Utd fan and it's what Man Utd used to do in the late 90s.  When you truly believe that you are never beaten until the final whistle then it's worth playing your heart out until the final whistle.  When your opponent knows that's what they are up against then they are already half-beaten.

England played like a team half-beaten for much of this tournament.  Ireland played like a team who knew every second counts.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #94 on: 18 March, 2018, 08:31:52 pm »
Yet ultimately the difference between the sides was goal-kicking. I watched a little of the first half but then had other stuff to do, and I certainly didn't gain that impression from that bit - it was pretty much all Ireland at that stage. But England did cross the line 3 times.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #95 on: 19 March, 2018, 01:12:04 pm »
Kit question: I noticed that quite a lot of players had a small rectangular bulge in their shirts just below the collar. What's that then?

Edit: found the answer on line. A monitor/GPS tracker to measure stuff like acceleration, tackle impact etc.

simonp

« Reply #96 on: 19 March, 2018, 01:13:41 pm »
Kit question: I noticed that quite a lot of players had a small rectangular bulge in their shirts just below the collar. What's that then?

GPS.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #97 on: 19 March, 2018, 04:21:57 pm »

GPS.

Exactly.  It's being used more and more to track field sports.  Glad we didn't have it at school or they'd have rumbled me and my mates, stood near the corner flag, avoiding the ball.

« Reply #98 on: 19 March, 2018, 05:07:30 pm »
Often does HR monitoring too.

Here's Polar's offering: https://www.polar.com/uk-en/b2b_products/team_sports/team_pro

(No price info though, usual rules apply, if you have to ask...)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."