Author Topic: winter Lympics  (Read 6842 times)

Re: winter Lympics
« Reply #25 on: 23 February, 2018, 03:25:11 pm »
I don't think we should be surprised that curlers dope.  Try and put aside the enjoyment they give us and imagine the embarrassment of trying to explain to someone from another planet what it is you do for exercise.  The social anxiety levels must be colossal, especially in a macho society like Putinia.

« Reply #26 on: 23 February, 2018, 04:10:13 pm »
Thinking about it I am actually surprised more curlers aren't caught doping. Not for deliberately taking performance enhancing drugs but just because it seems quite removed from the athletic sports and I bet they aren't constantly monitored by team doctors and dieticians. I can imagine a curler taking steroids something when their GP proscribes it without even thinking about it just like the rest of us would or not worrying about exactly what's in lemsip when they have a cold.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #27 on: 23 February, 2018, 04:46:06 pm »
But why would you need steroids?  There's barely any activity involved, never mind strength.  Possibly injections straight into the leading knee?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #28 on: 23 February, 2018, 04:49:37 pm »
Sweeping?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #29 on: 23 February, 2018, 04:50:31 pm »
Not activity as we know it, Jim!

« Reply #30 on: 23 February, 2018, 04:55:17 pm »
But why would you need steroids?  There's barely any activity involved, never mind strength.  Possibly injections straight into the leading knee?

Not specifically because of curling. Steroids are prescribed for all sorts of things as they are an anti-inflammatory. I was thinking that I bet curlers don't have the same mindset as runners, or cyclists etc as regards being careful to avoid things like steroids precisely because performance enhancing drugs are pointless in curling.

« Reply #31 on: 23 February, 2018, 04:59:10 pm »
Fair point, Pat.  It's still spectacularly silly, though, isn't it?!  Would slot seamlessly into Python's Upper Class Twit Of The Year sketch and therefore worthy of watching!

« Reply #32 on: 23 February, 2018, 05:58:26 pm »
Another Russian's failed a dope test - this time, it's the pilot for the bobsleigh team.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43168312

The kicker to this story - earlier this month, she showed off her “I Don’t Do Doping” sweatshirt. ;D

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Z6tOF3Oc--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/jgdlcv2d2x0ouecjdnqd.jpg
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #33 on: 23 February, 2018, 09:57:07 pm »
All of their athletes should have been banned - full stop.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 23 February, 2018, 10:19:35 pm »
IOC are complicit in this entirely. Russia needs to be banned from all sporting events 100% for the next 10 years

« Reply #35 on: 23 February, 2018, 11:06:23 pm »
Well, what about the Slovenian ice hockey player who was caught. His team kept on playing without any punishment. Hardly anyone has heard about this doping case.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #36 on: 24 February, 2018, 07:43:59 am »
Perhaps it will be bigger news when it's multiple Slovenian athletes across a wide range of sports, along with reports of former participants of systematic doping in the country's sports programmes.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #37 on: 25 February, 2018, 01:50:15 pm »
Farewell Pyeongchang 2018 you were great.

I really enjoyed that, much more than the summer Olympics.

« Reply #38 on: 25 February, 2018, 03:28:17 pm »
Hmm, good in parts. Waaaay too much ice dance/skating for me. Managed to record both men’s and women’s board- and ski-cross tho, that were pretty good, although the women’s ski-cross couldn’t muster 32 competitors, so heats were three participants each rather than 4.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #39 on: 25 February, 2018, 03:42:49 pm »
There's only one thing better than an Olympic opening or closing ceremony................ Everything.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #40 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:17:43 am »
Regarding the Russian curling doper, the argument I heard on the radio was that curlers still have to train as there is still a physical element to the game. If you get tired you'll get sloppy and you'll be less accurate, so you train so you don't get tired during a game. Doping means you don't have to train as much.

But, yes, this seems to be more of a mistake more than anything else (a single dose of heart medication meldonium allegedly, and taken during the games too) but the doping rules are very strict and apply regardless of the sport involved. (It's the same drug that Sharapova was banned for in Tennis.)

Beta-blockers would be a far more sensible drug of choice for curling.

Anyway, odd that the Winter Olympics is already over, I hadn't really got into it or watched much of it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #41 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:05:46 pm »
Regarding the Russian curling doper, the argument I heard on the radio was that curlers still have to train as there is still a physical element to the game. If you get tired you'll get sloppy and you'll be less accurate, so you train so you don't get tired during a game. Doping means you don't have to train as much.

But, yes, this seems to be more of a mistake more than anything else (a single dose of heart medication meldonium allegedly, and taken during the games too) but the doping rules are very strict and apply regardless of the sport involved. (It's the same drug that Sharapova was banned for in Tennis.)

Beta-blockers would be a far more sensible drug of choice for curling.

Anyway, odd that the Winter Olympics is already over, I hadn't really got into it or watched much of it.

Is there anything I can take to help me stay awake whilst watching it? 

It's the shouting and screaming I hate.  It sounds like chucking-out time at a Glaswegian Council Estate pub.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #42 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:36:50 pm »
I never knew that Glasgow Council had pubs.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #43 on: 28 February, 2018, 12:10:17 pm »
I think they should take a much closer look at doping in the winter olympics. I mean, it is obvious to me that loads of the curling team are stoned.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #44 on: 28 February, 2018, 12:13:42 pm »
I think this might be yours