Author Topic: Stolen Bike Recovery  (Read 1274 times)

Stolen Bike Recovery
« on: 10 October, 2019, 09:28:15 am »
At my LBS the other week for their 70th Anniversary, the Police gave me a pamphlet from 'Immobilise' about registering and recovering my bike if it was stolen. My bike is already registered and has an RFID tag down the seatpost from previous police endeavours. My question is, how good is this Immobilise lot? Has anybody any experience of getting their property back  via them?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Stolen Bike Recovery
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2019, 07:50:12 pm »
It's a free service (IIRC it's funded by sales of marking and security products), so hard to argue with the value.

I've no experience to go by, touch wood.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2019, 08:04:23 pm »
I had a bike stolen that was registered with Immobilise. Didn't get it back. In order for any registration service to get your bike back, it has to be found by someone who cares and who is going to check. That mostly means a reputable shop or the police. If it goes in the river, it doesn't make any difference where it was registered.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2019, 10:07:15 pm »
Indeed.  I'm sure a good proportion of stolen bikes are joyridden and abandoned or stripped for parts.

« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2019, 08:35:36 am »
Local bike fencing gang from Bulgaria, of no relevance other than to highlight that they're part of a Europe wide organised criminal network apparently shipping parts and bikes to brittany. Well they got shut down a few months after my bike got nicked. £80,000 worth of bikes and parts found at two addresses in the area.

My bike was marked and registered under a police initiative / registration scheme. I logged my bike theft on all available stolen bike databases. I never got it back. My work colleague, the only other guy with a bike remotely worth nicking,  got his back. Apparently the second time he's had a bike stolen and the second time he's got his bike back. It got stolen a few months later but he wasn't third time lucky.

How did he get his bike back?  He put the word out and due to coming from a dodgy area he got word back. Then being a big lad he had a scuffle then rode off with his bike. Not everyone is in his position but he wasn't the only one who knew who had done that bike theft. Don't rely on getting any bike back but insure and move on.

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2019, 08:31:21 pm »
My view as well.

By the way, has anyone had a car or Motorbike stolen?

Did you get it back?
Or did the insurance pay out!

Years ago I had a bike stolen that I used for commuting to work, the insurance replaced it within 3 days stating it wasn't worth looking for it + police weren't interested even though they had to attend the workplace where it was taken from.

V/important Report to police & get a crime Number (difficult to say the least) or the insurance isn't interested/won't deal with the claim.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2019, 08:34:34 pm »
Motorbike stolen 1995-ish. Never recovered. It didn't actually belong to me, though I was its usual rider, so I'm not sure whether the owner got an insurance pay out, though I expect so. Unless he decided it wasn't worth it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.