Author Topic: Another Tandem Identification puzzle  (Read 3843 times)

Another Tandem Identification puzzle
« on: 18 January, 2013, 03:45:45 pm »
My son bought himself a tandem just before Christmas. No Name, no Badge,  just a bunch of bits. I'll add a picture when I figure out how.  It's got to be quite old because above the crankshaft bearings were two little brass oiling caps of a sort that I haven't seen for years. The stringers from the headset to the rear dropouts are smaller diameter tubing that run outside the two seatposts.

Can anybody cast any light on it?

Thanks,

OnaRaleigh 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Another Tandem Identification puzzle
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2013, 03:47:18 pm »
I think we would need access to your computer to be able to see that image. :P
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:23:28 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:35:41 pm »
You could ask the Tandem Club, but there were so many small builders in the interwar years and immediately post-war - and as many badged frames (even the Co-op sold tandems) - that it's a long shot to identify a fairly nondescript twin lateral specimen.

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2013, 05:39:27 pm »
Only a starter idea for those more knowledge to consider, but I recall a Sun tandem I briefly (very briefly once I found out that everything I needed to build it was hard to find) owned seemed to have some similar characteristics to your frame.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »
Interesting chainstay detail
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:16:27 pm »

Yes. Has the photo been 'flipped'? It looks like the braze-ons for a rod operated drum brake, but they are normally on the left-hand side.  ???
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:21:13 pm »

Yes. Has the photo been 'flipped'? It looks like the braze-ons for a rod operated drum brake, but they are normally on the left-hand side.  ???

Probably for a Cyclo gear or similar.

« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:25:35 pm »

Probably for a Cyclo gear or similar.

Yes, of course.  :facepalm:

« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:32:53 pm »
No. It has not been flipped. Being young and ignorant of a lot of the terminology, I have to ask, what do you mean by the Braze-on's for a rod operated drum brake? Is that the little bit on the bottom of the bottom right rear fork?

Other features: It has an interesting two bolt clamp for the eccentric front bottom end. It has the number 141 brazed on between teh two bolts under the frame.   In the crotch of the rear fork there is a large screw that I think was probably to hold a mudguard, but am not sure.    Any other photos that might help identify it? The serial number is stamped in at the top of the rear seat post - s18969.

Thanks for the help,

« Reply #10 on: 18 January, 2013, 09:56:17 pm »
This is my tandem:

Under the rear bottom bracket there is a post, like on your chainstay, that is cross-drilled to guide the rod for the rear brake - which is a hub/drum brake. Mine has a clip that wraps around the chainstay to hold the reaction arm of the brake at the hub, but some had a bracket, brazed on, with a slot (so that the wheel can move in the drop-out to tighten the chain) for the brake reaction arm.

It is more likely that the added ironmongery on the right chainstay of your bike was for the cables to operate a cyclo gear - an early deraillier gear system

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2013, 09:22:46 am »
Thanks for your help.

And Nice bike.  :)

« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »
I won't help you very much by saying it is probably a British tandem. I have never seen one like this here on the Continent.

Anyway, a very interesting project! Good luck, and let us know when you are ready for your first ride!

« Reply #13 on: 20 January, 2013, 08:05:54 am »
 ::-) A Glimmer.. It looks like a Globetrotter. as seen on http://charlottestandems.weebly.com/  It has the same twin lateral structure, and also the sprockets are all on the right side of the bike.

Somehow it looks like the stokers sprockets are the wrong way around, as the chain from stoker to driver has a slight offset, and the chain from stoker to back wheel aligns best with the inner sprocket (of three).

Cheers,

« Reply #14 on: 20 January, 2013, 09:39:41 am »
I'm afraid not. Twin laterals are a very common, cheap and requiring less skill to make. Cross-over drives are relatively modern. Most if not all tandems of that era would have been straight through. That Globetrotter is a rather more modern frame. Yours is I think probably prewar.
Your best bet for info is the tandem club: http://www.tandem-club.org.uk/

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15 on: 20 January, 2013, 10:22:37 am »
Looks very similar to a Sun frame I bought last year, along with a box of bits.

Wishbone rear, straight through drive, chater lee headset. On the rhs there is usually a braze on between the stoker and captain for a foot brake (though how you are supposed to use it and not end up with a broken ankle from the pedal coming round, I don't know)

The good news is that 29er wheels fit easily.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State