Author Topic: Creaks and groans  (Read 1804 times)

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
Creaks and groans
« on: 01 May, 2013, 09:13:20 am »
The title does not refer to my knees but to the problems we are having with our tandem.
We have a Cannondale Los Dos, it is lovely and quiet when we set off but after anything from 2 to 4 miles we start to hear a creaking noise, this then continues and includes a rubbing noise.
It seems to be related to pedalling as it seems to go away when we freewheel ( although we have a noisy freewheel so we may just not be able to hear it)
The noise is worse when pushing hard on the pedals and if I stand at the front it doesn't seem to be so bad.
There is no play in either BB or the rear wheel.
It seems to me to me to be a lubrication issue by the fact it occurs after a few miles as though two surfaces are getting warm and rubbing.
We are cycling down to the International rally in less than three weeks and so I need to sort it out but where to start?
New chains, then BB, then rear hub?
Any suggestions or advice welcome.

(I have also posted this on the Tandem Club site)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: Creaks and groans
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2013, 09:43:25 am »
When you're freewheeling LeFlickers, I naturally assume you're backside isn't moving either. I wonder if it might not stem (no pun intended) from a creaky saddle, whether from itself, the seat clamp, or even possibly from the seat post/seat tube.

Worth a looksee.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2013, 12:12:59 pm »
Wot Riggers said as a first port of call. Then bottom bracket, take it out, clean and if still serviceable, pop it back with a good smear of grease on the outside of the cartridge as well.
Then pedals, oh, and check all the frame for cracking!!

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2013, 01:02:49 pm »
I had a saddle develop a creak that I was convinced was a transmission issue.

See you in La Loire!

R

LeFlic

• Retired and enjoying it!
    • Somer Valley Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2013, 03:19:03 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I think it is going to have to be a steady process of elimination starting with the easy things.

I hate these odd noises, a couple of years ago I refitted a BB three times before finding that the creak I could hear came from the front wheel quick release!

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2013, 04:03:03 pm »
I have a Brooks saddle on my carbon bike, which has a particular sounding creak. On my last ride I heard another rattley sound which I could not locate from riding. My pal couldn't locate it either. Eventually I found the source when my saddle moved, and I found the bolts holding it to the seatpost loose. Have you tried getting someone on a quiet bike to ride along side you slowly to try and pinpoint where the sound is coming from?

On my Dawes I have Stronglight chainset which I had new chainrings put on, and I find it clicks 5 times every revolution of the pedals as the different allen bolts and cups take the torque I presume. Its annoying but I can live with it.

Have you got a turbo or access to a mate with one? Perhaps you could put the bike on it and pedal like mad as a mate tries to find the location of the annoying noise?
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/