Author Topic: Chains  (Read 1647 times)

Chris S

Chains
« on: 12 May, 2013, 02:27:54 pm »
We're currently using SRAM PC 971's in rotation on the business side of the Longstaff (where the gears are), and a KMC Narrow on the timing side.

In the interest of redundancy (need to carry only one type of spare chain segment & magic links), is there any reason why I shouldn't just swap out the KMC for a couple of 971s joined together so we have the same chain-type throughout?

FWIW - we stretched the buggery out of the KMC timing chain over the course of the winter - the EBB started out fully forward, and ended up fully back - which I took as a sign that the bike needed a service  :).

Just wondering if a 9-speed chain might not last on the timing side - being thinner?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: Chains
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2013, 02:56:41 pm »
It's fine to have several Powerlinks in the same chain, and it doesn't even need to be the all same make of chain.  I use SRAM Powerlinks with Campag 9-speed chain, and Wipperman Connex links with Campag 10-speed, for egg samples.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2013, 06:42:06 pm »
All other things being equal, timing chains last much, much longer than drive chain for two obvious reasons:
1) they are less exposed to road dirt
2) they are not constantly twisted (tortured?) by the derailleurs.

We use SRAM 971 on the tandem, and I usually change the timing chain every 3 drive chains.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2013, 06:57:42 pm »
I didn't get where I am today without a couple of PC971s joined together...