Author Topic: Velocity Deep v rims  (Read 2767 times)

Velocity Deep v rims
« on: 13 May, 2013, 10:35:24 am »
  I am at last contemplating the parts I need to build up the Argos racing tandem I was given recently and most important are the wheels. I will be using Shimano HF08 hubs and triple butted spokes as recommended on the posts here. I am told the Deep V rims are pretty strong and will probably use them for some races and light touring when I can persuade my lovely control freak partner that she can trust me not to put her in mortal danger. Has anyone any experience of these or there any other strong rims that would be suitable for this machine? Hope to use it at the Mersey Roads 24 with McNasty later this year.

Re: Velocity Deep v rims
« Reply #1 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:11:28 pm »
We have completed many, many tandem miles on Velocity Dyad, and never had any rim issue. Not too heavy, and sturdy enough for light touring.
Deep V doesn't seems to be much different.

A word of caution when you'll build up your wheels: nipples are easily lost inside the double-walled rim, and very hard to retrieve once they are lost... I learned this the hard way.

when I can persuade my lovely control freak partner that she can trust me not to put her in mortal danger.

Riding a tandem is all about mutual confidence, and my lovely partner is excellent at persuading others about that. Send me a PM if you think she could help you on this delicate matter.

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:10:29 pm »
 Thanks FT I do remember losing spoke nipples inside rims in the past and the fun trying to extricate them. Will bear in mind your offer when I finish the tandem build.

« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2013, 07:23:09 pm »
a  short piece of spoke with only  a few threads makes a  good  nipple holder.

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2013, 07:45:12 am »
Ta Sleepy I now remember doing just your suggestion some years ago but had forgotten.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2013, 08:17:19 am »
I don't like them.  They're expensive, stiff in the wrong dimension and fairly badly finished for the money.  They are not the easiest things to build with.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2013, 07:04:10 pm »
I don't like them.  They're expensive, stiff in the wrong dimension and fairly badly finished for the money.  They are not the easiest things to build with.
Would you have any recommendations for a better choice? Myself, I'm thinking of a new front wheel for me trike. Stiff would be good, up to a point, because trikes load up the front wheel laterally more than two wheelers, but I don't want something that'll feel like a pneumatic drill!

(I guess I ought to go canvas the trikie community too!)

« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2013, 05:36:39 pm »
 Thanks for your suggestions. I am now committed to the Velocity Deep Vs with Shimano hubs which I may well just use for TTs. I have also bought a pair of nearly new  48 spoke touring wheels as sold by JD Tandems which I will use for touring  etc.