Author Topic: Tandem decisions - Rohloffs and is there anything wrong with dérailleur systems?  (Read 13037 times)

Nice. I think the co-motion rohloff shifter is the best design for it.  Is it 2 eccentric b/b's ? Do you even need them with a belt ?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Apologies - didn't pick that question up due to general chaos and business.

2 eccentrics - I think!  The belt does need to be tensioned correctly (is done by plucking it and having an App on your phone to register the tone, or a more advanced workshop tool).

Anyway - the very good news is the frame is shipping in the next day or two.  So it is a little ahead of schedule and we'll have it in 3 weeks I hope!  Exciting.  Just had to make some really important decisions like colour of bar tape, what tyres etc.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

2 eccentrics - I think! 

What kind of rear dropouts have you ordered? With Rohloff's adjustable dropouts, I'm not sure you need 2 eccentrics, but only a front eccentric for the front belt. 

I have never tried Rohloffs + belt drive, but I think that the combination of adjustable dropouts + front eccentric must be easier to deal with than 2 eccentrics, because
with 2 eccentrics, adjusting the rear eccentrics will increase tension on one belt, and loosen the other belt  at the same time.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
2 eccentrics - I think! 

What kind of rear dropouts have you ordered? With Rohloff's adjustable dropouts, I'm not sure you need 2 eccentrics, but only a front eccentric for the front belt. 

I have never tried Rohloffs + belt drive, but I think that the combination of adjustable dropouts + front eccentric must be easier to deal with than 2 eccentrics, because
with 2 eccentrics, adjusting the rear eccentrics will increase tension on one belt, and loosen the other belt  at the same time.

I did say I think!

Who knows?  It'll all be exciting when it turns up.
Right! What's next?

2 eccentrics are easy.
My rohloff tandem has a fixed dropout, and chains. Start from the back and work forward when adjusting the ecc b/b's.
My deraillered triplet had 2 as well.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Quite a few years ago, I worked on and stoked a quadruplet (4-up tandem). Adjusting three eccentrics gets to be a pain.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Would 3 eccentrics be a mad hat-trick?

IGMC...
The loss of humanity I could live with.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Well the time has come - rather quickly in reality. 

Go and pick the new machine up tomorrow. 

Exciting!
Right! What's next?

Enjoy your first ride !

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Some photos of the weird and wonderful bits:

It's very nice - very different to our old tandem.  Felt very stable and responsive.  It'll take some getting used to the Rohloff.  It does make a few interesting sounds in certain gears - but I am assured all normal.

The TRP Spyres seem very good - better modulation than the BB7s I think - though they do feel slightly mushy as well.
Right! What's next?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Nice.  Though tandeming without any opportunity for oil on your leg must count as cheating?  :)

I believe Rohloffs quieten down a fair bit after the first few hundred miles.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Can't tell you how much I will miss that particular feature of traditional tandem setups.......

Yep - been told and have read that the Rohloff will quieten down a bit - I actually quite like the noise in gear 5, it's very mechanical.
Right! What's next?

It seems that your crankarms are a bit out of sync, aren't they? Maybe there's a good reason for this?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
That is a Peter Bird thing.

We will give it a go. Whilst he is not into quarter phase and all of that, he sets up all their tandems with the stoker leading by a couple of teeth. He reckons it smooths things out and makes life much easier for the stoker.

It will take a bit of getting used to for Cass when setting my pedal when getting going.
Right! What's next?

I reckon the out of sync cranks might be a good thing on the flat, but I can't figure out how you will be able to climb or sprint out of the saddles! Negociating tight corners might be a bit tricky too!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
We use our tandem for touring.  No sprinting or taking tight corners fast for us thanks.

We will try it.  I couldn't feel much difference yesterday - but there was more than enough to be thinking about. 
Right! What's next?

Looks like a lovely machine. Hope you have many enjoyable kms/miles
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

That looks like a lot of fun! I hope you have some great adventures on it :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.