Author Topic: Which suspension seatpost?  (Read 3999 times)

Which suspension seatpost?
« on: 12 May, 2014, 02:27:19 pm »
   My stokers want a suspension seatpost to relieve the stress on their rears. I can't use one of the type that are adjusted from the bottom as I may well have to cut the post as both stokers are short and there is an obstruction in the seat tube preventing the post going all the way down. I know the Thudbuster type will work but should I get the short or long travel model? Maximum stoker weight is not more than 140 lbs. If anyone has one they want to sell that would be great. I do have a Use one which I could PX. I am off to Taiwan in two weeks so I may get one there if the price is OK. Size I need is 27.2

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Which suspension seatpost?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2014, 02:54:11 pm »
A short travel suspension seatpost works well on a road tandem.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2014, 03:06:47 pm »
  Ta Dave, I thought the short travel one would be best but needed confirmation from a voice of experience.

« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:07:41 am »
Saw one of these at our Tandem camping weekend.  No idea how good it is but was the only alternative as there was not much seat post showing on that particular tandem.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specialized/Cobl-Gobl-R-Carbon-Seatpost-272mm-x-350mm/1R8E?gclid=CO3t8r6Hq74CFdShtAodWBgAYw

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2014, 08:07:49 pm »
Russell, I have never tried this seat post, but according to the maker:

"This revolutionary post features 18mm of vertical compliance,"

this is less than the vertical travel of a good old spring-mounted Brooks saddle:

May I suggest a saddle like this to the OP instead of a suspension seat post. The saddle is cheaper than a Thudbuster.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2014, 09:01:40 pm »
I find coil-sprung Brooks sag. The tensioning bolt makes no difference as the springs just let the leather move forward.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2014, 10:03:35 pm »
Along similar lines as the one above is the canyon leaf spring one.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/accessories/#category=F07&id=42224

We have tried the suntour suspension seatpost - it wasn't a success as it's rebound was fairly vicious.

We've not specified one for the new tandem, we will see how we get on first.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2014, 11:01:03 am »
  Thanks for your all replies. I never imagined that their could be so many alternatives. I have acquired a Thudbuster ST, used and in very good condition with 3 spare damper rubbers so I am delighted. I will have to cut it due to an obstruction in the seat tube. Just hope the stokers are happy but could always get a sprung saddle in addition if they still complain.

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2014, 04:28:37 pm »
I quite like the sprung Brooks saddles (had a Conquest for years - was sad when it was discontinued, but happy to see it's back), and haven't had the same problems as LWaB, though doubtless have done a fraction of the mileage. Springing is fairly stiff, so I find it's more that it takes the edge off bumps than giving a really plush ride, and there's no damping. Not sure I'd use one as well as a suspension seatpost though - I suspect that they'd end up fighting with each other and giving a particularly choppy ride.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2014, 10:43:50 pm »
Just wanted to add a little more on this.

As noted above, we have tried the suntour suspension seatpost - it is a little crude and the rebound was just too much (and the adjustment of the post and a preload was minimal and seemed fairly ineffective - this is the problem I think, Cass is pretty light at 60kg and it would do it's best to fire her up into the air after each bump).

Anyway, we decided to give a thud buster (short travel) a go. They are mega bucks.

An almost instant success I am pleased to say. To the point where I was being told not to bother calling out most bumps and holes - "I really don't notice them any more" was the comment.

Superb!  :thumbsup:
Right! What's next?

Chris S

« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2014, 10:52:15 pm »
Fboab has a thudbuster on the Longstaff. She also watches me carefully - if I look like I'm standing to avoid bumps, she stands too. This comes with (a) Practice, and (3) Having a rubbish pilot like me who doesn't call bumps.

« Reply #11 on: 29 August, 2014, 05:51:55 pm »
Anyway, we decided to give a thud buster (short travel) a go. They are mega bucks.

An almost instant success I am pleased to say. To the point where I was being told not to bother calling out most bumps and holes - "I really don't notice them any more" was the comment.

Similar here. I put one on our tandem and my wife thought it was really good. My sons were so interested in it that when (on holiday I called for a carrier for the supermarket run) they volunteered to see what it was like. They said you cant feel the bumps.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12 on: 29 August, 2014, 06:09:05 pm »
Leap of faith as they do cost over £150 (we actually got ours in the US when Cass was back visiting her folks - it was a bit cheaper, but not much) - but, so far, it seems worth it.

We're taking the bike on Iddu's off-road adventure audax this weekend - a good test I feel.
Right! What's next?