Author Topic: On the roof...  (Read 4311 times)

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
On the roof...
« on: 21 July, 2014, 02:53:44 pm »
Ok. So I'm looking to take the tandem, plus kids islabikes, maybe plus an upwrong down to France this summer. Its all looking to go on the roof of a V70 estate. I think I'm ok for weight (the tandem is 30kgs alone) but I'm not sure how best to transport it (other than ride it and meet the family there, which isn't an option).

The tandem (for those that haven't met her) is fully recumbent, two wheels, 30kgs, Rohloff in the back. I'm thinking I may have to lay her sideways on the roof (as in on her side, not across the roof so she sticks out either edge) as I can't imagine being able to support her upright with conventional racks. Recumbent means downtubes aren't where you'd latch onto. Twin recumbent means wheel base is enormous....

If I do put the Rohloff on its side, is there a preferred side to avoid the oil spilling out? Heard a few horror stories.

Cheers for any and all thoughts.

Andy.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

Chris S

Re: On the roof...
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2014, 04:03:34 pm »
Can't comment on the leaky Rohloff issue, but wrt a rack, would a Helton work? It's what we use - and it's quite configurable according to positions of supports.

http://www.heltontandemcarrier.co.uk/

« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2014, 04:15:18 pm »
Have had the Rohloff on the Moulton tandem leak when left in the back of the car on its side on a hot day. Not critical for usage according to Rohloff, but might make a mess of your car roof, so best put something absorbent under or around it.

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2014, 04:18:51 pm »
If the RichForrest approach is anything to go by, the critical parts of the process seem to be:

* A bit of posing for photos in a skin-tight outfit
* A duvet
* Someone pointing out it should be lying on its other side just when you think you've finally got it safely in place.

DSCF2759 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2014, 04:52:10 pm »

DSCF2759 by TJ Clarion, on Flickr

...and yet the car was still winning on both overall length and wheelbase, which puts 'enormous' recumbent tandems into perspective.   :D

IIRC arallsopp's tandem has a cunning hinge in the middle that can be used to trade overall length for general bulk.  I'm not sure that's particularly helpful when it comes to sharing a roof with other bikes, though.

« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2014, 05:04:14 pm »
I had a thorn triplet and a solo upright on our car. Ford focus hatchback.  That was pretty long, but stable. Overhung the windscreen and had to be careful opening tailgate, but no issues. It was sjcycles adapted pendle tandem carrier, extended for a triplet.
Gets on brittany ferries no problem. Well, apart from the lifting on to the roof....

Have since had a rohloff tandem and 2 solos upright.
I've had oil seepage from the hub when its been on its side inside, but its never more than a smear. Never had a drip from it as far as I know

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2014, 06:18:42 pm »
I had a thorn triplet and a solo upright on our car. Ford focus hatchback.  [...] It was sjcycles adapted pendle tandem carrier, extended for a triplet.
Gets on brittany ferries no problem. Well, apart from the lifting on to the roof....
That's good to know. SJS say max weight is 25kg though, and HMS Queenie is 30 bareboned.

IIRC arallsopp's tandem has a cunning hinge in the middle that can be used to trade overall length for general bulk. 

Good call, Kim. Yes, it does. If it were to travel upright, folding it would probably see it (almost) fit a pair of conventional carriers. Have to work out what to rest the hinge on, but otherwise may be more manageable... Good call.

Have had the Rohloff on the Moulton tandem leak when left in the back of the car on its side on a hot day.

Hmmm... Do you recall if that was chain side up or down? Suspect there's a preference here.

[...] wrt a rack, would a Helton work? It's what we use - and it's quite configurable according to positions of supports.
http://www.heltontandemcarrier.co.uk/

I'm not sure, tbh. I've watched the video a few times, and from what I can see, HMS Queenie is an all round larger beast than conventional DF tandems. She has an enormous wheelbase, is wider at the bars, and quite a lot heavier than anything the rack is expecting.

(heads off to find a picture)

Them's 26" wheels.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2014, 06:19:35 pm »
If the RichForrest approach is anything to go by, the critical parts of the process seem to be:

* A bit of posing for photos in a skin-tight outfit
* A duvet
* Someone pointing out it should be lying on its other side just when you think you've finally got it safely in place.

First bullet is pretty much my way of life, so no issue there. Item 2 easily sourced. Three is the killer, I suspect :)

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2014, 06:37:58 pm »
Roll yer own, starting with some alloy channel?

PloddinPedro OTP has done similar, allowing an upright tandem trike and a Trice to be parked nose to tail atop a Merc estate. Admittedly neither of them will fall over if unattended.

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »
Pretty sure I weighed the triplet at the time and it was about 27kg I think.
I wasnt aware of any limit specified on the carrier. I was going by my car's roof limit, 75 kg.

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2014, 09:03:13 pm »
Friends of mine regularly transport a Rans Screamer upright not on its side on a roofrack on a smallish Peugeot.  It is something like one of these.

From memory - the front wheel comes out and the front fork engages on a swivelling device.  The rear is then lifted onto the back of the rack and is clamped down.  There may be another clamp but I am not sure.  I can find out the manufacturer if you are interested.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:44:36 pm »
Could you not detach the rear wheel and bung it in the car?
The loss of humanity I could live with.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:51:33 pm »
On the roof of my previous V70 I used a Pendle tandem specific rack to carry a Dawes Two Across tandem & two of these

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/roof-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-proride-591-_-591018

to carry a Trek 5000 road bike & a Langster

hth

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #13 on: 23 July, 2014, 12:31:04 am »
That Pendle looks the easiest option, though I'm worried it won't accommodate the 208cm wheelbase. Rolling my own coming a close second right now... Will see... :)

« Reply #14 on: 23 July, 2014, 10:24:54 am »
Chris, yellow Katy's dad used to put his triplet on the roof. Is he still around?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 23 July, 2014, 10:35:41 am »
ISTR a length of guttering was involved.
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #16 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:09:23 am »

Dry run of future Ram-Raid of bike shop
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

clarion

• Tyke
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #18 on: 25 July, 2014, 10:24:08 am »
ISTR a length of guttering was involved.

And if it wasn't, he is probably pretty much the biggest, strongest bloke to have inhabited this forum. If anyone could manhandle a triplet onto a car roof, it would be him.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #19 on: 25 July, 2014, 10:45:02 am »
Presently experimenting with a BuzzRack Quattro. If it works it'll keep things out of the breeze and should be easier to load. Time will tell. Photos may follow.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #20 on: 30 July, 2014, 10:09:14 am »
ATOC (USA) do tandem/triple/quad carriers

www.sidco.co.uk for local contact...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.