Author Topic: Stoker handlebar query.  (Read 2938 times)

Stoker handlebar query.
« on: 28 August, 2014, 10:56:13 am »
Having finally ridden the Longstaff Collusus this morning, I've determined that it's a bit on the big side for me. The original rider must have been properly long in the leg. There is one last thing that could be done to make it usable for a normal tall person like myself and that is to remove the stoker's handlebars from the pilot's seatpost. Unfortunately that leaves the stoker with nothing to hold on to. OK they could hold the handlebars freestyle but it seems like cornering might be a bit unstable.

Is it possible to mount the stoker's handlebars on the top tube?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Stoker handlebar query.
« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:10:46 am »
Yes. Some USA-ian tandems had a special tube brazed through the stoker's top tube to allowed a quill stem to be installed independent of the captain's seat post. You could get a custom stem that clamps around the top tube instead, though it will mark the paint.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2014, 11:25:55 am »
I don't think I'm going to go down the brazing route. Will google clamp on stems unless someone has knowledge of where to look.

Not too bothered about marking the paint. While the Collosus is a thing of beauty, it's still not getting any use by anyone and a bit of paint marking is a small price to pay for getting it on the road where it belongs.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2014, 12:59:36 pm »
Random crazy thought:  Could you mount the stoker bars on their seatpost, inna under-seat-steering stylee?

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2014, 01:27:41 pm »
Random crazy thought:  Could you mount the stoker bars on their seatpost, inna under-seat-steering stylee?
Not if you ever want to honk, head down race, or corner at speed.
Speaking as a stoker, No.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2014, 01:30:39 pm »
Not if you ever want to honk, head down race, or corner at speed.
Speaking as a stoker, No.

Just pretend it's a Pino (which admittedly precludes the first two)...   :D

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2014, 01:39:54 pm »
Is it possible to mount the stoker's handlebars on the top tube?
That might depend on how sturdy the tube walls are. Some thin-walled steel tubes ding quite easily. If you were willing to risk it (because, say, the bike is unusable otherwise) the type of clamp might be critical. Maybe you could use a metal sleeve to prevent crushing the tube?

Or how about putting some platforms on your pedals? Or using shorter cranks?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 28 August, 2014, 01:41:22 pm »
Is there any seat tube to clamp to?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 28 August, 2014, 01:53:54 pm »
Few tandems use 0.5mm thick tubing. The top tube is unlikely to be thinner than 0.7mm in any location and may be as thick as 1.0mm.

« Reply #9 on: 28 August, 2014, 02:37:41 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions people. A decent bit of google poking hasn't turned up a usable clamp on stem so I think that's going be a bit of a no go.

Perhaps worth pointing out that this tandem does still belong to Charlottes Tandems and drifting into the territory of kludges and bodges is beyond what I want to do or feel I should be doing. It also starts putting expense on a charity that would be better commiting funds to a machine that will see more than occaisional use.

To my mind I think the most sensible option is to see if it can be sold to a very tall person and use the proceeds to fund the purchase of a machine of more versatile sizing.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 28 August, 2014, 02:41:52 pm »
That was why I noted that it would have to be a custom stem. They aren't available off-the-shelf.

« Reply #11 on: 28 August, 2014, 02:49:51 pm »
It's entirely possible that I missed that bit.

« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2014, 04:33:41 pm »
I have these on the back of my tandem for a trip with a very short person:

http://www.modolo.com/dumbo.html

Worked a treat!

« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2014, 04:56:04 pm »
A nice piece of kit but not useful for me. The problem isn't the stoker's handlebar height or reach. it's that having the stem of the stoker's handlebars mounted on the pilot's seatpost means that the pilot's saddle is automatically too high for me and, by extension, just about anyone else below the height of 6ft 2.

« Reply #14 on: 29 August, 2014, 07:49:39 am »
Since you are not bothered about the paint, and will not feel the urge for a complete respray,  the braze-on option is probably the cheapest. This might  be a good starting point: