Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452307 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5725 on: 09 October, 2012, 06:38:44 pm »
Clarion, is the new bike to replace the one that died?

Members' bikes
« Reply #5726 on: 09 October, 2012, 06:46:17 pm »
previous owner apparently rode it for about 100 miles then stored it

You lucky bugger, that explains it. It's their loss and your gain. It's had an easy life for 20-30 years so don't feel guilty about getting use from it. It'll polish up like new again with a bit of dirt on it!

I still like downtube shifters, I think its because they're what I grew up using. Still can't get used to bar end shifters  though. Enjoy it!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5727 on: 09 October, 2012, 07:49:41 pm »
Clarion, is the new bike to replace the one that died?

For the moment, yes.  I'm still hoping I'll get some compensation so I can build up the bike I really want (and that I was trying to save to turn the Orbit into).
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5728 on: 10 October, 2012, 11:43:44 am »
New bike.  Well, new to me.  And pretty much new anyway.  A Ridgeback Romany 504LX (I think that refers to the Shimano Deore LX groupset).

Looks nice - and very shiny! Would have been good to see it in the flesh, seeing where the photo was taken!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5729 on: 10 October, 2012, 12:47:11 pm »
I was in town for forty-five minutes.  It would have been fifteen, but I just missed a train.
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5730 on: 10 October, 2012, 12:49:27 pm »
Good looking machine there Clarion.

Be better once the toe straps are less red though!

It's a pretty classy ride other than that.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #5731 on: 10 October, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »

Oi mister, a dog's wee'd on yer back wheel!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5732 on: 10 October, 2012, 12:53:40 pm »
Ah, tough. BTW I agree with marcus about the red straps - the only thing that doesn't go on that bike.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5733 on: 10 October, 2012, 01:10:58 pm »
I thought they were a bit odd, though there is a bit of red lining on the 504LX decal.

Swapped for SPDs now anyway.
Getting there...

John Henry

« Reply #5734 on: 10 October, 2012, 06:24:02 pm »

The guy I bought the bike off it hadn't ridden it, having taken it in a part exchange.  The previous owner apparently rode it for about 100 miles then stored it.  I can believe that.  There's some surface rust on bolts and exposed cables, and a few minor scratches on the frame.  Seems almost a shame for it to have to suffer the kind of hard work bikes in our household put in.

Nah. It's happy now it's finally doing the job it was made to do.

« Reply #5735 on: 10 October, 2012, 08:49:09 pm »
I await (with trepidation) the cries of dismay at the angle of the stem - I might just flip it so that it is closer to the angle of the top tube - but cannot resist showing my cobbled-together Dave Lloyd in its new guise.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5736 on: 10 October, 2012, 08:58:43 pm »
I await (with trepidation) the cries of dismay at the angle of the stem - I might just flip it so that it is closer to the angle of the top tube - but cannot resist showing my cobbled-together Dave Lloyd in its new guise.

Lovely composition. Valves hidden, cranks in line with down tube (though I prefer seat tube or stays), juxtaposition of beans with Marmite.

Personally, I like my bars at the same height as my saddle, so I'm fine with the stem that way 'round. I'd probably rotate the bars so that the line to the hoods is horizontal, for comfort. It would also reduce the apparent angle of the stem.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5737 on: 10 October, 2012, 09:02:54 pm »

Lovely composition. Valves hidden, cranks in line with down tube (though I prefer seat tube or stays), juxtaposition of beans with Marmite.

Personally, I like my bars at the same height as my saddle, so I'm fine with the stem that way 'round. I'd probably rotate the bars so that the line to the hoods is horizontal, for comfort. It would also reduce the apparent angle of the stem.

Thanks Paul - I did wonder whether beans as well as marmite was going a bit far.  I did initially have the bars angled up a bit more, but then the bottoms of the drops looked odd.  I'll get out on the road and see which is more comfortable.  I have to say I'm a bit scared by how thin the tubing is - it resonates beautifully when pinged with a fingernail, but it sounds wafer-thin!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5738 on: 10 October, 2012, 10:32:30 pm »
Bought in April, a few bits changed over since then.

I love it.  :-*

ETA:Paul, I trust the lack of composition doesn't disappoint too much.  :-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #5739 on: 10 October, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »
Bought in April, a few bits changed over since then.

I love it.  :-*

ETA:Paul, I trust the lack of composition doesn't disappoint too much.  :-X

Looks a bit "washed-out" in that photo, which doesn't do justice to the sheer bloody magnificence of that bike when seen in the flesh.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5740 on: 10 October, 2012, 10:58:54 pm »
Valkyrie, aye, so does our lawn and hedge. It looked ok before I stuck it on flickr.  ???
Thanks for the compliment, btw.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #5741 on: 10 October, 2012, 11:49:52 pm »
To saddlebag or not? How many members have 200k'd on a Mixte? Or on any bike with ORANGE bar tape?

Why does uploading this photo de-focus the original? Is it the ORANGE?

« Reply #5742 on: 11 October, 2012, 12:38:49 am »

Thanks Paul - I did wonder whether beans as well as marmite was going a bit far.  I did initially have the bars angled up a bit more, but then the bottoms of the drops looked odd.  I'll get out on the road and see which is more comfortable.  I have to say I'm a bit scared by how thin the tubing is - it resonates beautifully when pinged with a fingernail, but it sounds wafer-thin!
What's the tubing? Looks like a Reynolds transfer, starting with 7. Is that right? And the forks?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5743 on: 11 October, 2012, 06:28:32 am »
I never had that "oooh I WANT one of them" untill I saw eck's De Rosa.

As Valkyrie says the pic doesn't show the drool-factor that you see in the flesh

« Reply #5744 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:41:45 am »
What's the tubing? Looks like a Reynolds transfer, starting with 7. Is that right? And the forks?

It's reynolds 753, including the forks.

« Reply #5745 on: 11 October, 2012, 07:44:30 am »
To saddlebag or not? How many members have 200k'd on a Mixte? Or on any bike with ORANGE bar tape?

Why does uploading this photo de-focus the original? Is it the ORANGE?

I can't see any reason not to put a barley or similar on there - v nice.  What brake callipers have you got on there? Maybe I should try uploading  a photo of my daughter's silver Majestique with fluorescent pink bar tape to test the focus issue!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5746 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:00:23 am »
The orange bar tape does look, er, distinctive, but that's a grand bike.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5747 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:01:30 am »

Coo.  That's a pretty thing (stem angle notwithstanding)
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5748 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:14:39 am »

Don't worry about the stem, not until you've sorted the bar tape! ;D

Lovely bike otherwise

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5749 on: 11 October, 2012, 08:46:31 am »
If we're going to be critical, then the red rims look a bit 80stastic, but it's a personal thing, I suppose.  I'd have the bike in silver/black.
Getting there...