Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452619 times)

iainj837

• Oh! what's occurrin' ?
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6050 on: 27 January, 2013, 10:47:33 am »

Trek Madone 4.5, Duotrap&ANT+HR into Node2.1, Crud roadracers, Ortlieb large saddlebag with my 600km kit in. Still got to fit my Spa Nidd, but it's getting close to what I was after.
I am glad to see I am not the only one with mudguards on a road bike

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #6051 on: 27 January, 2013, 11:37:15 am »

Trek Madone 4.5, Duotrap&ANT+HR into Node2.1, Crud roadracers, Ortlieb large saddlebag with my 600km kit in. Still got to fit my Spa Nidd, but it's getting close to what I was after.
I am glad to see I am not the only one with mudguards on a road bike

I too have mudgaurds on a Trek with " insufficient" clearance.The original intention was to have them onboard during the winter months to keep the skog&cowshit off my backside but they have remained in situ for a couple of years now:ftw.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6052 on: 27 January, 2013, 02:04:47 pm »
nice bike DrMekon, i hope you didn't crush the eggs setting up the photo. i like riding racing bikes for their responsiveness and efficiency - the thrill more than compensates a small sacrifice in comfort, when compared to "endurance" bikes.

« Reply #6053 on: 27 January, 2013, 02:15:08 pm »
A few more pics (click for full res.) of the Triban 3 - don't worry probably the last...  ;)

Went out for a spin this am, very good feel to bike - loads of fun.  Decathlon set it up very nicely as the gear shifting was excellent, all I did was adjust saddle height.

P1160190 by ao, on Flickr

P1160195 by ao, on Flickr

P1160196 by ao, on Flickr

edit. Oops - I'd taken the front wheel off to check cone spanner sizes, can anyone spot my slight 'reassembly blunder' (re brakes) in this pic above..?

P1160192 by ao, on Flickr

P1160193 by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #6054 on: 27 January, 2013, 02:24:24 pm »
Decathlon set it up very nicely as the gear shifting was excellent, all I did was adjust saddle height.
Why is the brake QR on the rear done up but the one on the front undone?  Just one of my "little things" that I spot regularly.

« Reply #6055 on: 27 January, 2013, 02:25:53 pm »
Decathlon set it up very nicely as the gear shifting was excellent, all I did was adjust saddle height.
Why is the brake QR on the rear done up but the one on the front undone?  Just one of my "little things" that I spot regularly.

Well done...  that was my mistake...    :)

edit. Oops - I'd taken the front wheel off to check cone spanner sizes etc, can anyone spot my slight 'reassembly blunder' (re brakes) in this pic above..?

iainj837

• Oh! what's occurrin' ?
« Reply #6056 on: 27 January, 2013, 06:25:06 pm »
First (non-tourer) road bike... Decathlon Triban 3;  the just got it home photo.  I need to lose one of the water bottles to fix my pump on.  The lights were a freebee with the bike. 

P1160185 by ao, on Flickr
Very nice

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6057 on: 27 January, 2013, 07:48:19 pm »
changed the cassette and rear mech on my audax/"fast" bike. it's been hibernating since last september, can't wait to take it out on a decent ride!

« Reply #6058 on: 28 January, 2013, 03:32:25 am »
Some Pics of the Fleet, From slow to fast.......

Dawes Horizon. Great solid and reliable Sora equiped bike that saw me through my first 200km and from Dunkirk to Dubrovnik over 3 months

Condor Fratello. The most amazing, versatile bike, from Audax to long distance TTs to road racing. This bike has done it all with a certain degree of comfort. Only the frame remains now, with Sram Rival and a longer stem slammed down to be the same dimmensions as my race bike.

Harry Quinn 1970s fixed. Frame picked up from a garage sale mid way through a DIY 300!! I didn't take it then and there, but collected later. Use it for club TTs as I vowed not to get into the expensive world of buying a PB. This is my baseline bike and good enough for a 24.16 on a slow course...  (I also couriered on it for a week with a 88 inch gear, whilst my langster [RIP] was out of order due to catastrophic crank failure.....https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZbkRVQquKXo/TETGfUowgxI/AAAAAAAAALI/QRrAUjF7Vm0/s640/P1012976.JPG

Felt F3 2011. And finally the race bike. Added Planet-X 50mm tubular wheels just for racing which brings it just below 7kg and found this bike amazing. It feels like a rocket accelerating. I immediately noticed that my pacelining changed with me surging when coming to the front (not desirable!) as the whole bike was that much more responsive to input than the Fratello. I really had to focus on keeping cadence rather than measuring the amount of extra force needed...

« Reply #6059 on: 28 January, 2013, 09:55:04 am »
changed the cassette and rear mech on my audax/"fast" bike. it's been hibernating since last september, can't wait to take it out on a decent ride!

That'll be a bit quicker than the hybrid you did that 8h Cambridge 200km on.

Are you doing LEL on that? We should talk schedules.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6060 on: 28 January, 2013, 10:15:26 am »

I have pointed out this photo to everyone at home. Not so much for the bike (nice though it is) as for the position. "This is what kitchen worktops are for, you see."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6061 on: 28 January, 2013, 10:46:31 am »
I think DrMekon is brave.  Foolhardy but brave all the same  ;D

LEE

« Reply #6062 on: 28 January, 2013, 11:07:22 am »

I have pointed out this photo to everyone at home. Not so much for the bike (nice though it is) as for the position. "This is what kitchen worktops are for, you see."

Excellent Bunny-Hop onto the worktop.  Danny McCaskill would be proud.

LindaG

« Reply #6063 on: 28 January, 2013, 11:11:50 am »
Nice bike. But where is the Marmite?

« Reply #6064 on: 28 January, 2013, 11:14:11 am »
Egg box as stabiliser for the back wheel? - I suppose they can always be scrambled!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6065 on: 28 January, 2013, 11:57:14 am »
That'll be a bit quicker than the hybrid you did that 8h Cambridge 200km on.

Are you doing LEL on that? We should talk schedules.

hi! i've done quite a few long rides on it in last two years, but i don't have lel on my list this year. yes, this bike is quicker than the hybrid, but not by a big margin - it only feels much quicker.

..and, riding a bike is an expression of freedom - why constrain yourself with schedules ;)

« Reply #6066 on: 28 January, 2013, 01:06:04 pm »
It's the sleeping that I have to schedule - hoping to go sub 80h (how the F did Oranj do 63!), so won't have much time for sleep at my meagre pace.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6067 on: 28 January, 2013, 01:25:28 pm »
Nice bike. But where is the Marmite?

I was thinking the same...

« Reply #6068 on: 28 January, 2013, 08:23:44 pm »
First (non-tourer) road bike... Decathlon Triban 3;  the just got it home photo.  I need to lose one of the water bottles to fix my pump on.  The lights were a freebee with the bike. 

P1160185 by ao, on Flickr
Very nice

Looks like I need to ditch those 'leather elbow' spoke reflectors though...  just checked the cool wall.   ;)

« Reply #6069 on: 29 January, 2013, 03:25:32 pm »

What's the gearing on this bike? The chainrings look smaller than standard road components, and the cassette has a wide range (?). Maybe something around a 46t chainring?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6070 on: 29 January, 2013, 11:15:22 pm »
What's the gearing on this bike? The chainrings look smaller than standard road components, and the cassette has a wide range (?). Maybe something around a 46t chainring?

it's 42/34 and 11-28, a setup for non-competitive cycling (bigger chainrings in spares box). aero bars for an alternative hands position and headwinds.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6071 on: 31 January, 2013, 10:06:18 am »
Son of Oscar the Ribble in the kitchen drying out after riding through floods last night and on Sunday.  He has been up to his dyno-hub in water and the garage is too damp to facilitate proper drying:

The Marmite is the special edition blended with gold flecks:

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6072 on: 31 January, 2013, 10:30:11 am »

The picture is still not fully compliant despite the Marmite.  You're also meant to have your kettle visible.

HTH
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6073 on: 31 January, 2013, 10:34:45 am »
 ::-)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #6074 on: 31 January, 2013, 11:55:08 am »
I'm with Oaky on that one and, I venture to add … a pair of undercrackers drying alongside the teatowels would, I feel, lead one to believe that here before us is "One of the guys, a decent chap!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex