Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2452536 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1575 on: 30 May, 2009, 12:29:23 pm »
That needs a HR Giger "Alien" Paint Job.

sort of

?

« Reply #1576 on: 30 May, 2009, 01:50:42 pm »
Nasty Phallus would be a good name for that one.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1577 on: 30 May, 2009, 03:22:57 pm »

Where do you mount your lights?

That white disc you can see poking out of the hole on the front is an IQfly.

*goes to look at yellow pages for custom paint sprayer*

« Reply #1578 on: 30 May, 2009, 11:17:27 pm »
She is so lovely

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1579 on: 30 May, 2009, 11:22:31 pm »
She is so lovely

Uuugh!  Nnnng!

Anyone got a tissue?   :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1580 on: 30 May, 2009, 11:23:53 pm »
She is so lovely

Okay, I have been resisting asking since I first saw you bike, although I have seen it so often now I forget how long ago that was  ;) ;D, but what 'bars and brake levers have you got?  They look 'huge'  :o

« Reply #1581 on: 31 May, 2009, 12:07:47 am »
She is so lovely

Okay, I have been resisting asking since I first saw you bike, although I have seen it so often now I forget how long ago that was  ;) ;D, but what 'bars and brake levers have you got?  They look 'huge'  :o

Easton EA70 bars and Shimano 105 STI.  They are the Compact version I think.  The 5600 series maybe?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1582 on: 01 June, 2009, 06:44:56 am »
That needs a HR Giger "Alien" Paint Job.

sort of

?

And if your chain breaks, you can say you've snapped your banjo string.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1583 on: 04 June, 2009, 01:59:27 pm »
Dawes Sardar.

Don't ask.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1584 on: 04 June, 2009, 02:25:28 pm »
Outside your front door? ;)

Looks handsome with those bars.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1585 on: 04 June, 2009, 10:46:00 pm »
They were straight bars to start with, but he's REALLY heavy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

AlanW

• I'm a fiddler, I like to turn screws coz I can...
« Reply #1586 on: 07 June, 2009, 08:26:42 am »
Here is the first of my collection. 

The everyday work horse, the Ribble frame is great value for money.

"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

« Reply #1587 on: 07 June, 2009, 08:33:22 am »
My custom made Audax bike made by Brian Rourke.  Forget any other frame builder, Brian is "da man"....

He made my first racing frame 20 years ago and he still had all the frame dimensions on file.  This is a great bike and ideal for long events, and it climbs like a dream.  Reynolds 853 tubing and is lighter than the ali Ribble bike.

"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

« Reply #1588 on: 07 June, 2009, 08:37:35 am »
My "sunshine only" bike, hence it has seen little action.  But as it was purchased on the Cycle 2 Work scheme, it came at the right price, therefore it would have been rude to say no.

I have changed the bars, stem and seat post to carbon, this is one very light bike indeed.

AlanW

« Reply #1589 on: 07 June, 2009, 08:43:10 am »
And last but not least, the Scott MTB.  I have also changed the bars, stem and seatpost to carbon, again this is a very light machine at around 20lbs ready to roll.

Great alternative training to the road bikes.  I also have a spare set of wheels for it fitted Conti slicks and a close ratio cassette, 12-21.  Great bike.   ;D

AlanW

« Reply #1590 on: 07 June, 2009, 08:46:07 am »
The best room in the house........... :thumbsup:

« Reply #1591 on: 07 June, 2009, 09:50:18 am »
Very nice fleet indeed.  I do like the Rourke audax frame.

Now you need to build yourself some decent wheels for it.  I wouldn't like a Ksyrium spoke (1600N drive side!!) to snap on a long ride in the middle of nowhere.

AlanW

« Reply #1592 on: 07 June, 2009, 10:00:08 am »
Very nice fleet indeed.  I do like the Rourke audax frame.

Now you need to build yourself some decent wheels for it.  I wouldn't like a Ksyrium spoke (1600N drive side!!) to snap on a long ride in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the compliment and fair comment about the wheels, I also have a pair of 32 spoke wheels with Ultegra hubs and Open Pro rims that I can use, but they are not as 'bling' as the SL's. O:-)  In saying that if the weather is crap then they are used.

The wheels orginally had ceramic rims fitted as part of my long term plan.  But the total lack of wet weather braking meant that they just had to go.   :o  

No matter what brake blocks I tried I had very little braking in the wet, hence I had them relaced with the normal rims.

« Reply #1593 on: 07 June, 2009, 10:51:12 am »
I find Open Pro ceramic rims fine, provided they are used with the dura-ace "ceramic" brake blocks.   My audax wheels are 32h Schmidt dynohub at the front, 36h XT hub at the back, on Open Pro ceramics.

AlanW

« Reply #1594 on: 07 June, 2009, 11:41:46 am »
I find Open Pro ceramic rims fine, provided they are used with the dura-ace "ceramic" brake blocks.   My audax wheels are 32h Schmidt dynohub at the front, 36h XT hub at the back, on Open Pro ceramics.

Its odd, coz there seems to be a real split in thoughts regarding these ceramic rims, while some people really rate them others hate them with affection.

When I had the bike built it was fitted with specific the Shimano "ceramic" blocks and in the dry and on long descents I was well impressed. 

However, my first wet weather Audax event highlighted to me, anyway, another fearful side to braking characteristics.  Once wet, and I mean really wet I had just about zero braking???

To the point where on a rather steep descent I was forced to take both feet from the pedals and dragging both shoes on the tarmac in a vain attempt to shrug of some speed.   :o

I then tried lightly sanding the rims with the proper Mavic sanding block, in case the rims were polished, no better?

I then upped the game a little and moved to some course wet 'n dry, and still no better?

Then tried several different makes of brake blocks, Swissstop, Kool Stop etc.  Then different compounds, but it was only throwing good money after bad, so they just had to go in the end.

I understand that Mavic have since stopped doing them now haven't they? 

« Reply #1595 on: 07 June, 2009, 01:12:45 pm »
The best room in the house........... :thumbsup:

I am in envy of your best room.  So neat and tidy.  If only I had the space.

« Reply #1596 on: 07 June, 2009, 01:14:18 pm »
My custom made Audax bike made by Brian Rourke.  Forget any other frame builder, Brian is "da man"....

He made my first racing frame 20 years ago and he still had all the frame dimensions on file.  This is a great bike and ideal for long events, and it climbs like a dream.  Reynolds 853 tubing and is lighter than the ali Ribble bike.

Ace colour scheme..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gordon taylor

« Reply #1597 on: 07 June, 2009, 02:12:56 pm »
That's a SCHEME?  :o :o

;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1598 on: 07 June, 2009, 03:38:09 pm »
I thought it was a sample swatch. :P

But it's a great frame.  Rourke is a good builder. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1599 on: 07 June, 2009, 03:43:07 pm »
Here is the first of my collection. 

The everyday work horse, the Ribble frame is great value for money.

I've got one of those frames, as have a few others here.  You're right, they are great value for money and a nice ride too.