Author Topic: skirts for men?  (Read 6816 times)

skirts for men?
« on: 22 June, 2017, 06:18:33 pm »
Listening to PM on R4 as I take a train ride from Plymouth to Newcastle I just heard the story about the Devon school boys wearing skirts to school because shorts are banned.   As part of the feature R4 interviewed a chap selling unisex skirts.

So, who here would wear one?

I certain circumstances I believe it could be a rather good idea for us chaps.  For instance in a few weeks time I'll find myself at a loose end for a weekend while away from home in the West Country and intended to walk a section of the Cornish coastal path. If it's as hot as this week has been I can imagine a skirt being really quite a good thing.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: skirts for men?
« Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2017, 06:44:45 pm »
Skirts are no good if the top of your thighs rub together, as with many women. Then you very quickly end up with a rash, especially if you are sweating because it is warm.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 22 June, 2017, 06:45:13 pm »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2017, 06:46:43 pm »
And anyway, the kilt is not exactly a new thing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2017, 06:48:25 pm »
Skirts are no good if the top of your thighs rub together, as with many women. Then you very quickly end up with a rash, especially if you are sweating because it is warm.

I was wondering who was going to point this out.  While they're sometimes useful for airing one's nether regions, they're not really practical clothing in hot conditions.

Anyway, if skirts for men become normalised, people will have to come up with new ways to troll uniform fascists.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:05:36 pm »
you can buy running kilts
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:10:55 pm »
There are areas of India where traditionally men wear skirts and women wear trousers (lunghi and salwar-kamiz). Not to mention the policemen in skirts (lava-lava) in Samoa.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:19:43 pm »
Which is of course to miss the point that what both the Devon schoolboys and the Nantes bus drivers really want is not so much skirts as more flexible uniform rules, specifically in this case shorts.

« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:20:26 pm »
I seem to remember a whole thread either here or in the old place where Mr Gates and Ms Barnes were discussing Utility Kilts.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:20:46 pm »
Anyway, if skirts for men become normalised, people will have to come up with new ways to troll uniform fascists.
If that was their point, I reckon three piece suits, with ties, with skirts replacing trousers, are the way to go.

« Reply #10 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:25:32 pm »
Half a page and no unicycling kilted darth vader? Standards are slipping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY

Chris S

« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:52:29 pm »
Any rules that exclude the wearing of shorts, are just rubbish.

It's SO simple, why make it hard on yerself! "All pupils should wear at least: trousers, shorts or skirts, of neutral colour, and short or long sleeve shirts. Ties should be worn unless staff say otherwise." Genderless, objective (no useless statements like "Unless it's hot") and probably even enforceable (To be fair, I've never had to).

If a pupil chooses to wear shorts when it's -5, fine - let 'em shiver - they won't do it again. If a boy wants to wear a skirt, so what? (He'll probably get Fucking Hell from his mates, but hey...).

When I were a lad, I HAD to wear shorts. All year round - it was Teh Roolz. Aged 7, I had to walk the three miles home from school, in my shorts, in a blizzard - when all the buses were cancelled. It was fucking cold. I survived.

« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2017, 07:58:54 pm »
Me all dressed up.

Made this one myself.

A wrap I made for naked hiking  :-[ a lot easier than shorts when wearing boots and you have to cover up quickly.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2017, 08:17:41 pm »
Made this one myself.

That's not a kilt.  That's a miniskirt.

A wrap I made for naked hiking  :-[ a lot easier than shorts when wearing boots and you have to cover up quickly.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

« Reply #14 on: 23 June, 2017, 08:31:27 am »
AH beat me to it. This is a problem even with really short shorts, so of course it is a problem when wearing a skirt. Rash? I've had bleeding thighs, running in the standard aussie short shorts.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 23 June, 2017, 08:46:17 am »
When I were a lad, I HAD to wear shorts. All year round - it was Teh Roolz. Aged 7, I had to walk the three miles home from school, in my shorts, in a blizzard - when all the buses were cancelled. It was fucking cold. I survived.

This.  At st custards we didn't get to wear long trousis until age eleven.  Not even when the skool musk ox was talking about taking a sunshine holiday on Baffin Island.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #16 on: 23 June, 2017, 08:54:55 am »
Some Americans never get around to long trousers. It's probably better than 'business casual' tan slacks and loafers and dress-down Friday. There's a whole suburb of Hell where it's always Dress Down Friday and that's the uniform. And no one has eyes, just holes right through their face into the never-never.

« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2017, 10:23:01 am »

I'm 48 years old. Nobody has ever made me aware of this before.  This place is a constant education. :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2017, 10:44:31 am »
AH beat me to it. This is a problem even with really short shorts, so of course it is a problem when wearing a skirt. Rash? I've had bleeding thighs, running in the standard aussie short shorts.

Yes, found out last week that my quads seem to have grown when I went for a run in "running shorts" a-la Ron Hill.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Ben T

« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2017, 12:42:05 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-40379293
I would probably wear a dress if told to by the union (and provided with one). But I'm not in one.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2017, 01:07:58 pm »
Me all dressed up.

Made this one myself.

I'm not Scottish (never was, never likely to be) but I'm fairly certain that knee-length is as short as you really want to go with a kilt.  Your photos are all the proof I need of that.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #21 on: 23 June, 2017, 01:21:57 pm »

I'm not Scottish (never was, never likely to be) but I'm fairly certain that knee-length is as short as you really want to go with a kilt.  Your photos are all the proof I need of that.
The correct length of a kilt is the centre of the knee, or by kneeling down the bottom of the edge should just touch the floor (first photo). The camouflage kilt is a light weight “fun kilt” so I made is a wee bit shorter, the other one is as stated.

« Reply #22 on: 23 June, 2017, 01:41:00 pm »
...a light weight “fun kilt” so I made is a wee bit shorter...

I really don't want to know what 'fun' means in this context.

« Reply #23 on: 23 June, 2017, 01:43:21 pm »
I'm impressed that 14yr old boys in a provincial city have that much self-confidence.

« Reply #24 on: 23 June, 2017, 08:25:26 pm »
My school's uniform changed at the time I arrived - it had stipulated that in the first year all boys had to wear shorts.  My parents, having my older brother's hand-me-downs, gave me no choice.  Everyone else was wearing long trousers.  My brother's mate Will Hooper made up the moniker Legs for me, and I've been lumbered with it for the last 27 years.  I'm even Uncle Legs to my nephew and niece...  :D