Author Topic: Durness Duress 300 - Anyone doing this?  (Read 6998 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Durness Duress 300 - Anyone doing this?
« on: 11 April, 2008, 08:35:38 am »
Anyone planning on heading up north for this ride?  I see there is a number of other events taking place that weekend.  It sounds like it could be fun.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Durness Duress 300 - Anyone doing this?
« Reply #1 on: 11 April, 2008, 09:16:18 am »
You're not wrong there MKev, the weekends organised by Steve & Denise are always excellent. They used to organise audax weekends out of Ardgay, but have moved to Portmahomack. They also do the legendary Newtonmore weekends.
Sadly, I won't be able to go this year - Mrs Eck is on bridesmaid duty for her best friend's wedding at the other end of the country - but I'd certainly recommend it.

I think Mr Noodley of hereabouts is hoping to go, and I'm sure many of the usual suspects will be there too.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2008, 09:26:13 am »
Yup, I'm planning on that one. My in-laws live in Tain, so it can be combined with a family visit  ;D.

Are you partaking of the Toffee of Moffat this weekend Kev ?

Craig

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:52:56 pm »
Yes, I'll most probably be riding this. My parents stay near Inverness, so not too far to travel.

I'm thinking about whether or not to do the 200 the next day, or maybe just take it easy and do the 50k.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2008, 02:56:42 pm »
Unfortunately, I'm not up to a 200 this weekend.    It's a pity because I was really wanting to do the Moffatt toffee.  I'm just going to wait and do the Aarons AArdvark Thursday Skive (or what ever it's called) to break my Gala cherry.  I take it you will be able to make full use of the new gps toy?

I've just sent of my Deeside loop and Dee Lecht-able entries though.  These are my Snow Roads training rides and I'll need the miles if I'm to get my randonneur 1000 this year (still too much of a pussy to go for the SR - I blame bike comfort issues).

I am tempted by the Portmahomack weekend but I don't know if I could sell it to my wife as a holiday, "I'm off for a wee cycle, see you in 20 hours".  I wouldn't imagine that there are too many shops in Portmahomack for Mr Mrs MercuryKev to look round for a day :-)

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2008, 05:14:50 pm »
I wouldn't imagine that there are too many shops in Portmahomack for Mr MercuryKev to look round for a day :-)

I didn't realised you had had your Civil Ceremony.  Congratulations!    :P  ;D

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2008, 06:05:08 pm »
I shall indeed be riding the Durness Duress  :thumbsup:  Very much looking forward to sitting on a bench at Sango Bay for a few minutes of rest...

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2008, 09:55:36 pm »
..still too much of a pussy to go for the SR - I blame bike comfort issues..

Havers.  What you need to find is a 600 route which allows for 350km the first day, a wee rest at a bunkhouse, a spot of breakfast and 250km back to base.

I'm sure "we" could find something to suit  ;)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2008, 10:54:44 pm »
you make it sound so easy but Mr RJMcB has told me about the sort of 600s that you Angus folks arrange. 

On the Kingdom of Fife he regaled me with tales of last year's 600: floods, pestilence and plagues, all topped of with having to dodge phalanxes of drunken Fifers at closing time.  Sounds like my kind of ride! 

However, I'd still need a 400 to get the SR and I don't have decent lights (well I don't have a son dynohub and a solidlight, but my birthday is in June  ;D)

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2008, 11:02:18 pm »
you make it sound so easy but Mr RJMcB has told me about the sort of 600s that you Angus folks arrange. 

On the Kingdom of Fife he regaled me with tales of last year's 600: floods, pestilence and plagues, all topped of with having to dodge phalanxes of drunken Fifers at closing time.  Sounds like my kind of ride! 

However, I'd still need a 400 to get the SR and I don't have decent lights (well I don't have a son dynohub and a solidlight, but my birthday is in June  ;D)
Och no, that wasnae a 600 that was this Kingdom Come  ;)

The 600 was far more civilised, with RJMcB buggering off up the road and leaving me and Eck trailing eating ice cream in the rain.

Plenty time for a 400 - as I said I'm sure the KC will be ridden more than once this year....and then there is always Megajoules!

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2008, 12:19:17 am »
The 600 was far more civilised, with RJMcB buggering off up the road and leaving me and Eck trailing eating ice cream in the rain.

This implies that I was in any fit state to power myself up the Sma' Glen - Mr Fawcett practically dragged me up there.  Strangely, the easiest bit of the ride was after the arrivee, back to chez Noodley - I sang almost all the way, being embarrasingly proud of becoming a SR.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #11 on: 12 April, 2008, 12:39:14 am »
Off topic, but how's the new bike build going?  I bet it's nice and shiney and I did notice the mention of centaur hubs and carbon forks - I take it that this means that you went with the upper budget limits that you mentioned?

« Reply #12 on: 12 April, 2008, 01:00:13 am »
I take it that this means that you went with the upper budget limits that you mentioned?

Indeed.  Will have it put together tomorrow and I'll post some pics then.  ;D

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:39:09 pm »
Just to get back on topic, I'm planning on doing this ride, plus the Sunday 200. Last year's Goodbye Ardgay was excellent - amazing roads and the organisation was really first class.

Back off topic - where are the bike pics Ryan?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #14 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:43:24 pm »
very tempted as it's the closest audax to home, but as I'm aiming for the snow roads, I don't think I can make another long weekend in a short space of time (and I don't know how I'd cope with 2 x 300s so close together as I've only done the distance once before)

« Reply #15 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:44:33 pm »
..amazing roads and the organisation was really first class.

Amazing roads indeed - I wonder what the route is?

And "Ralph's" pics are here somewhere...

« Reply #16 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:46:07 pm »
very tempted as it's the closest audax to home, but as I'm aiming for the snow roads, I don't think I can make another long weekend in a short space of time (and I don't know how I'd cope with 2 x 300s so close together as I've only done the distance once before)

Windy, where do you plan on staying for the snow roads?  And when are you coming down to real civilization? ;)

« Reply #17 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:50:25 pm »

Glad to here from you Mr. Valkyrie, we hadn't heard from you for a few days.  I'd thought that perhaps with your form of late, you'd continued your tour of Scottish hospitals.  :sick:

RJMcB

PS.
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1231.msg16622#msg16622

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #18 on: 17 April, 2008, 10:57:02 pm »

Windy, where do you plan on staying for the snow roads?  And when are you coming down to real civilization? ;)

I'll head over on the Friday and return on the Monday. Pingu's have offered me a bed, but I haven't confirmed anything yet as I haven't planned the trip and not sure if I'm going to use the Stornoway or Tarbert ferry.

We get  a road equivalent tariff  pilot from October, so the ferry cost should be cheaper than  £120 (car + driver) return. So hopefully I can afford more trips next year.  :thumbsup:

all we need now is a Sunday ferry  ;)

« Reply #19 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:05:29 pm »
..Pingu's have offered me a bed..

That's fine then, as long as you have a bed sorted  :thumbsup:

£120!! Where the f*** do the ferry company think they are going?  Have they no' looked at a map to see where you are in relation tae the mainland?!!!!!!! 

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #20 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:26:40 pm »

£120!! Where the f*** do the ferry company think they are going?  Have they no' looked at a map to see where you are in relation tae the mainland?!!!!!!! 

f*** indeed - my only concern with RET and a drop in ferry prices is that I will be able to afford more trips to the mainland and may be tempted to do something stupid like my first SR series  ;)

« Reply #21 on: 17 April, 2008, 11:29:59 pm »
...I will be able to afford more trips to the mainland and may be tempted to do something stupid like my first SR series  ;)

Well, it would depend on how quickly this price thingy is implemented - I am due to do a few rides "up north" this year...I have a few 200 routes, and a 400....I'm sure a 600 could be arranged  ;)