Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718183 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #725 on: 03 February, 2010, 08:15:31 pm »
Sorry I've not been out this year - and no dice tonight as I'm languishing with a yucky cold (I haven't even got dressed today!)

Uncle James and I may venture out when the weather is a bit more clement.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #726 on: 03 February, 2010, 11:04:21 pm »
Just got back from the Pompey ride. Bits of rain, not too cold but a puncture each for Hummers and I. Nice pub and reasonable grub. 30 miles at a pace that has left me somewhat knackered.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #727 on: 07 February, 2010, 11:47:53 pm »
It appears that this coming Wednesday is my hosted ride.

I have a route, which I concocted a couple of years back to take in 5 pubs from that year's Good Beer Guide.

At 15mph average (which is the pace I did the dry run on Saturday night, not visiting any of the 5 pubs), the approximate timings were:-

Witham<-20 mins->Pub1<-10 mins->Pub2<-15 mins->Pub3<-0 mins->Pub4<-5mins->Pub5<-35 mins->Witham

We probably won't go that fast on Wednesday, and will obviously have to add 5 pubs worth of drinking/faffing time.

Although I've used the route many times as a training loop, i've never yet done it visiting all of the pubs in question. Nevertheless, and despite the fact that not all of the 5 pubs are still in the GBG, I still refer to it as the 5 pubs from the GBG route.

For the avoidance of doubt, especially for Oscar's Dad's benefit, so that he can't claim he didn't know beforehand how many pubs might be involved, this will involve visiting (at least!) 5 pubs.

I plan to set off around 7:30 from Witham station.

BTW,  did I mention there may be 5 pubs involved?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #728 on: 08 February, 2010, 07:58:19 am »
Regrettably I will not be around this week.  I have a trip to Exeter and Slough  :hand: 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #729 on: 08 February, 2010, 08:48:57 am »
Oaky, I would dearly love to be able to participate in the 5-pubs ride. However, this week is a non-starter for me, as ever during the school term.

Next week, on the other hand, is half-term and it might be possible for me to find my way up to Witham during the day, pootle around for a bit until the appointed time, visit 5 pubs (over and above any pubs that may have been visited during the day) and then stagger on to a train home, safe in the knowledge that should I fall asleep and find my way into Liverpool Street, the trains back to Southend from there keep going until almost 1 a.m.

I note that the last train from Witham leaves at 23.15.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #730 on: 08 February, 2010, 08:56:29 am »
Regrettably I will not be around this week.  I have a trip to Exeter and Slough  :hand: 

If you find yourelf in Exeter on Wednesday night, you might want to check with Ian H as there are a group of them that meet up at a pub somewhere in the deepest Westcountry every Wednesday. Depending where you stay, you may be able to hook up with any number of riders that ride out.

Note: expect hills on a scale not normally encountered in Hampshire or mid-Essex.

H

Oscar's dad

« Reply #731 on: 08 February, 2010, 08:59:08 am »

If you find yourelf in Exeter on Wednesday night, you might want to check with Ian H as there are a group of them that meet up at a pub somewhere in the deepest Westcountry every Wednesday. Depending where you stay, you may be able to hook up with any number of riders that ride out.

Note: expect hills on a scale not normally encountered in Hampshire or mid-Essex.

H

That's a lovely idea but Exeter is just tomorrow.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #732 on: 09 February, 2010, 07:07:27 pm »
I should be ok for tomorrow night, but won't be able to make the start in time. Can we have a list of the pubs/villages, please Oaky? I've had a look at your route, so I hope to catch up at some point in the evening!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #733 on: 09 February, 2010, 08:05:37 pm »
I should be ok for tomorrow night, but won't be able to make the start in time. Can we have a list of the pubs/villages, please Oaky? I've had a look at your route, so I hope to catch up at some point in the evening!

Code: [Select]
5.7mi  Little Totham  The Swan
8.11mi  Goldhanger  The Chequers
11.69mi  Heybridge  The Heybridge Inn and The Maltsters
12.65mi  Maldon  Blue Boar Hotel

(from the cuesheet: 5 pubs from the GBG Bicycle Cue Sheet at Bikely.com)

They all appear on this map here (along with some others - at least they do now that I've added the Maltsters and Heybridge arms).  (They also appear on this even more comprehensive map.

Probably best to try and hook up in either the Swan or the Chequers (both of which have a wonderful range of ales) - also I wasn't planning to spend too long in the Maltsters / Heybridge Arms, bike parking there doesn't look as inviting as the other 3 establishments.    I believe you have my mobile number.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #734 on: 09 February, 2010, 08:13:30 pm »
Oaky, I would dearly love to be able to participate in the 5-pubs ride. However, this week is a non-starter for me, as ever during the school term.

Next week, on the other hand, is half-term and it might be possible for me to find my way up to Witham during the day, pootle around for a bit until the appointed time, visit 5 pubs (over and above any pubs that may have been visited during the day) ...

Unfortunately, I'm housebound next week since mrs_o is out.  Don't let me stop you sampling the route though :)  (The "official" destination for the 17th Feb is the White Hart, Burnham on Crouch, but the venue plan is by no means cast in stone and definitely not compulsory!!)

Edit:  I strongly suspect this won't be the last time I do this ride "wet".  I'd like to at least equal the number of times I've done it "dry" so far :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #735 on: 09 February, 2010, 08:27:52 pm »
I'm looking well dodgy for next week  :'(

Leeds and Poole  :hand:

When can I retire?

« Reply #736 on: 09 February, 2010, 09:58:50 pm »
Train permitting I'll be at Witham station for about 19:20 for the off.

I'll probably head straight back to Chelmsford from Maldon though.  Does anyone know if Bumsford Lane is passable, the route planner wanted me to avoid it  ???

Don't worry O.D, we won't make you feel jealous by sending you MMS updates as the night progresses  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #737 on: 09 February, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »

I'll probably head straight back to Chelmsford from Maldon though.  Does anyone know if Bumsford Lane is passable, the route planner wanted me to avoid it  ???

Don't worry O.D, we won't make you feel jealous by sending you MMS updates as the night progresses  ;D

Bumfords lane is fine.  It's the usual route if you are in Woodham Walter and suddenly feel the need to sample nutty's slimed bottom.

« Reply #738 on: 09 February, 2010, 10:12:17 pm »

Bumfords lane is fine.  It's the usual route if you are in Woodham Walter and suddenly feel the need to sample nutty's slimed bottom.

Luckily the Dawes has a pull cord inflatable dingy for such situations  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #739 on: 09 February, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »
'twill be slightly cold:-

Oscar's dad

« Reply #740 on: 09 February, 2010, 10:31:07 pm »
Make sure you pack your Speedos and remove your jewelry.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #741 on: 09 February, 2010, 10:36:49 pm »
Just wondering whether to put the marathon winters on or not.  Would they draw too much attention chained up outside the station, I wonder?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #742 on: 10 February, 2010, 07:27:50 am »
Thanks Oaky, I'll pootle round the establishments until we meet up. Like wot Chief says, I'll probably head straight back from Maldon.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #743 on: 10 February, 2010, 01:31:51 pm »
Thanks Oaky, I'll pootle round the establishments until we meet up. Like wot Chief says, I'll probably head straight back from Maldon.

I think my route home and chief's diverge at Bumford's lane.  I guess you'll peel off sooner than that though?

If I don't see you at the Swan I'll txt you on arrival/leaving... ditto for others en-route until we find you :)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #744 on: 10 February, 2010, 01:41:29 pm »

Since it's just chief and I cycling from Witham at the moment, then unless anyone else expresses interest on here prior to 5:30 today, I propose to set off from Witham station as soon as chief arrives... 10 minutes extra PUBBE time!  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #745 on: 10 February, 2010, 05:39:10 pm »
In case anyone else was thinking of joining, in view of the SNO and FREEZ, chief, Tomsk and I have decided to modify our plans and go to the Square and Compasses at Fuller street tonight instead.

I will reschedule the 5-pub tour.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #746 on: 10 February, 2010, 11:43:21 pm »
Just back from the S&C. 

That was a hoot!

In conditions like that, Marathon Winter FTW.  I laughed out loud at some of the car tyre tracks that I just held my intended line across.  I hardly felt any loss of tractio at all, and the only times I did were self inflicted tests of the situation.

I tried a few times, gingerly at first then more forcefully, to lock the rear, although on the way out to the pub, the fact that I had to keep stopping to release my rear brake which had frozen did dampen my enthusiasm for trying it.

chief had a slippy slidy both feet down "bobsleighing down a hill moment", which I didn't see, being in front at the time, but heard very well!  We met one car driver who'd had enough and was about to carefully pick his way to the A12 for a less direct but more grippy route to his destination since he'd spun in the previous village.

As my confidence in the M winters grew, the ride home turned into one of the most enjoyable times I've spent on a bike.  I kept having to stop to check for sure (using my feet) that the stuff I'd just blithely cycled across was the sheet ice it looked like.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh, and I needn't have worried about the marathon winters drawing attention to the bike -- they were hidden by snow for a lot of the day!

« Reply #747 on: 11 February, 2010, 12:34:37 am »
Well that was an adventure and a half  :D

Who ever says you need ice tyres is a big pink fluffy girl

After leaving Chelmsford, and of course behind schedule, I found the already snowed-on roads to be pretty friendly and pushed on to meet Oaky on time at Witham station.  That was until just before Terling where I started to hear a different sound under the tyres and started to ponder if the temp’ had reduced to the slippy level.  Sure enough a few seconds later I was looking up at the sky and wondering what happened.  Wilma revealed a subtle change of camber was a fault, time for a slack pace I thought.

So a slow careful trek toward Witham where I met Oaky coming in the opposite direction complete with rice crispy crunchers.  He had been overtaken by a bloke in a Nissan Micra after stopping for a brake service and then wouldn’t let him out of his sight.

The run from near Witham to Fuller Street was not without incident, the Dawes and the M+’s gave a lovely 15 foot-slide down hill with both my feet and brakes fully engaged. 

Tomsk had already arrived at the S&C by the time we got there.  A lovely ale or two and some banter later and we were suitable prepared for the ride home.

Tomsk and I headed back toward Great Leigh’s with Mr Spikes ruining roads back to Witham. 

Tomsk was kind enough to have a sympathy stack with me just before joining the main road toward Great Leighs after which we decided to walk for a while until conditions improved.  Once at the St Anne’s castle Tomsk headed off in fixy style and I took to the main roads to get back home.

Off of the main roads, the route back was just as fun with sections having to be taken on foot with the tell-tale test of snatching the front or rear brake showing little resistance.  All taken steady no more incidents to report.

Now back home safely, with just a shoulder bash on each side and the Garmin showing 1198 calories burnt off (though not sure how that offsets the ale and snack consumption; but I’ll worry about that another day.

All in all, a lovely evening out  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #748 on: 11 February, 2010, 12:48:08 am »
Hmm... I've bought an £8 ticket to Ipswich for Friday (6.18 a.m. from Prittlewell) and I'm intending to cycle home - 65 miles of this sort of road. I don't want to do this on snow tyres. It would take an age.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #749 on: 11 February, 2010, 07:48:33 am »
Bit of a slow ride back, what with the snow packed down well on the lanes and a head-wind to contend with. At least I dared to get out of the saddle, once on the treated surfaces after Great Leighs. The roads were nice and quiet, weren't they? No damage after the sideways encounter with the planet. Note to self: If this continues, I must get those studded tyres, I won't always bounce.