Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718187 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1025 on: 02 June, 2010, 03:00:46 pm »
The weather is fantastic here so I'll be leaving Howe Street about 17:30-17:45 and plan to have a longer route through the countryside arriving for 7pm at the station :thumbsup:   Should have some healthy tan lines by then :D

I'll PM my mobile number to you Bloomers.  Let me know if you fancy the ride out (it will be a slow spinning one) if not imagine we will be at the P&W around 19:30 allowing a bit of faff time at the station

« Reply #1026 on: 02 June, 2010, 03:28:12 pm »
It's a gorgeous evening and the Other Things are elsewhere. Let me look at train times...

« Reply #1027 on: 02 June, 2010, 04:02:08 pm »
Feasible train? check; bike? check; clothes shoes funds? check.
Lights? FAIL. O well.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1028 on: 02 June, 2010, 04:14:39 pm »
Feasible train? check; bike? check; clothes shoes funds? check.
Lights? FAIL. O well.

Can't coax a glimmer out of the menorah, then?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #1029 on: 02 June, 2010, 04:20:39 pm »
Actually it appears the emergency front light is here at work. Anyone lend me a back light for the evening?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1030 on: 02 June, 2010, 04:22:01 pm »
Actually it appears the emergency front light is here at work. Anyone lend me a back light for the evening?

I have a spare Smart superflash attached here at work  which you're welcome to borrow :thumbsup:

« Reply #1031 on: 02 June, 2010, 04:55:44 pm »
Cool. See you inna bit then

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1032 on: 02 June, 2010, 05:01:21 pm »
Super!  See you later.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1033 on: 03 June, 2010, 01:29:26 am »
Aha - as first in, I get to put in the preliminary report.

Firstly, we completely failed in OD's vision of "more miles, fewer pubs".

Even with my ride back from Chelmsford, my mileage for the night was 22.5, pub-count was 3.

We did have, though, two new attendees (although boab has been to a EFNRTTB, so she's almost "not new" to the MEMWNS).

chief, boab and I met up at Chelmsford station, and set off, by the more "road-like" of chief's route options, towards Broads Green, via the Pig and Whistle (especially chosen for boab). He even took us through the posh bit of Chelmsford, which I think was called "Melbourne", or possibly "Washington".

Once we had dodged our way through the Bentleys, Aston Martins and ladies trotting out on ponies, we emerged into the countryside, and very quickly needed a drink.  fortunately this coincided with the P&W, so we were sorted.  It was here that boab provided us with the choice quote of the evening.  (although there were others, my mind can only hold 1, or at best 2, quotes of this quality").

From hereon in, I suggest we use an adaptation of it as our "challenge-response" password when meeting up at railway stations (see below).

From the P&W we moved on to the Walnut Tree, a "Ridleys" (i.e. Greene King) pub with very interesting and "proper-pub" layout, and a clientele that largely cycles there - there were a couple of old-ish Raleigh 531 frames outside when we arrived, both equipped with front low-rider-mounts along with two other bikes.  Whilst we were sat outside having our first drink, a local youngster cycled past on what looked like a Raleigh 20, too.

We hooked up with bloomers100 there (who didn't know the pass-phrase, but I guess that's understandable since it only just came into existence a few minutes before!).

A few pints (or bacardis/j2os as per preference) were had, then we moved on to the Rose and Crown in Gt Watham.

boab and I safely negotiated the Gt Waltham junction, which had a frankly very scary road sign, but wasn't too difficult to get across safely.

I bade farewell to boab at Chelmsford station at around 20 to 12, well before "pumpkin time" (this time NXEA were, inexplicably, running trains) and set off home, with the directions I'd asked for to get to the Boreham road, via Springfield rd, ringing in my ears.  unfortunately I ended up hopelessly wrong -- instead of turning left onto Springfield Rd at the traffic lights after passing the Riverside Inn, I turned right (I blame autopilot - that's the way I usually go when driving).

That, however, involved rather more of the (3 lane dual carriageway) A138 than I'd intended to see on a bike.  It's quite worrying at the slip-road bits - quite hard to decide where to be in the road.  I did a lot of loooking over the shoulder on that stretch.

However, eventually, I reached the Boreham road and arrived home after

Lovely night - great to see chief and boab again and fantastic to meet bloomers100 for the first time.  Hope we haven't put you off too much! ;)

[[1]] Should go something like the following

1. "My clearing is unfenced."
2. <fill in "spy" response here: e.g. "the russian bear does not eat cornflakes">

OR

1. Challenge: "How's your clearing?"
2. Response "Unfenced"

« Reply #1034 on: 03 June, 2010, 02:44:24 am »
Note to self: It's a school night! Don't try to keep up with the Essex Boyz.
I have to go to work in [Sheeeeeet] 4 hours time and I may possibly have overdone it a little.

Obviously as I am Number One In The World (I may have mentioned this once or twice this evening) my body is a temple and those small glasses just held finest Essex Water.

Fewer Miles, More Pubs. After my lovely lovely day it was just what was needed, thanks chaps  :thumbsup:.
I'm happy to report that bloomers, although new to the MEMWNS fitted in like, erm, well, given the tone of the evening I think there is no analogy safe to repeat here.
My clearing is indeed unfenced.

The Pig & Whistle held no Pigs or Whistles, The Walnut Tree had no Walnuts and The Rose at The Crown was wearing Cowboy Boots. She did bring us into the snug Hog Rolls which were just what was required to soak up some of that water I had been swigging.

Homewards I was disappointed at how sensible the other passengers were, there was no opportunity to be the slurry drunken stinky old woman on the train. I'd been quite looking forward to that. I was also hoping to test- on strangers- bloomers theory that women can't be pervy. Never mind, there's always next time! I have also left one smelly track mitt heading to Norwich. Darn.

It was a longer ride to & from the station this end than that. Probably not a good idea as the emergency light failed rather disarmingly/dangerously and I ended up riding on flashing lights. Although the moon is bright and the sky is clear, I hit every blummin pot hole on the way home. Ow.

« Reply #1035 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:06:13 am »
He even took us through the posh bit of Chelmsford, which I think was called "Melbourne".....

Ha ha! If you went through Melbourne, you should have stopped for a pint at The Red Beret. Actually, scratch that, you'd all be dead by now if you did!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1036 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:33:08 am »
Well that was a nice introduction to the Wednesday night thing. All in my backyard so a whole two miles cycled. Although nearby to home I hadn't been for a 'proper' drink before at the walnut tree in all it's sixties splendour. Beer was moreland (nice session beer) reverend James (fruity clergy). I was hoping to lose my pickled egg cherry so we moved onto the rose and crown nearby, and my regular, with my promise of a wide range of bar snacks; sadly no pickled eggs but the guys had pig rolls and we shared some gruesome looking artisan pork scratchings. Beers here were England playing away by brentwood brewery, doombar and rose and crown all about the same really, middle of the road quaffing beers.
I had an early start so I bailed at 2230. Hats off to you guys who were out riding half the night to get home spesh after that much Waltham 'spring water'.

These sessions should be recorded to savour the memories and priceless quotes, still chuckling now.
I'm on the iphone now but will try to upload the photo of Oaky with the pig roll glove puppet.
Thanks again and look forward to doing it again.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1037 on: 03 June, 2010, 09:56:48 am »
He even took us through the posh bit of Chelmsford, which I think was called "Melbourne".....

Ha ha! If you went through Melbourne, you should have stopped for a pint at The Red Beret. Actually, scratch that, you'd all be dead by now if you did!

I have feeling I saw that pub.

We also had some verbal encouragement from fellow cyclists somewhere near there (well, a few shouts from kids on BMX bikes).

« Reply #1038 on: 03 June, 2010, 11:55:51 am »
After chatting with neighbours and an extended faff time I realised I was running 10 minutes late rather than an hour early.  Still it gave a good excuse to use the quick bike  :thumbsup:  Meeting Boab and Oaky at the station, I popped in to the station to get some cash for the evening though getting Oaky to pay for everything was the more tempting option :-*

We then set off on a quicker road route to the P&W and here I must apologise, I took us through the Melbourne estate.  My only defence is that  I travel through it frequently early in the mornings and never understood what the fuss was about.  It obviously changes to a different place in the PM region  :o  Luckily Oaky's Police bike kept trouble away :thumbsup:

Still it did get us out to the Countryside quickly and on to the P&W.  The new management there served us well and the dining area and food looked worth a visit in the future. 

After a light refreshment it was onto the Walnut tree meeting up with Bloomers.   I thought the Compasses was a step back in time but I think the Walnut Tree pips it.  Though the red telephone box outside does make it seem a bit more modern than it is .  The beer was good, the locals friendly and the volume of bikes outside impressive.

We then moving on to the R&C tucking ourselves away in the 'snug'.  The Hog Rolls, beer and multi-coloured J2Os were consumed at pace until it was time to ride into the sunset

Throughout the evening I'm pretty sure anyone listening in on the conversations would be wondering what the heck we were talking about.  It was fnar overload and enough to make us blush in places  :thumbsup:

Factoring in the return trip to the station I feel that I did infact cover some mileage though at a push I'd say around 15 or so.  So an MPP rating of 3 for the evening.  The Garmin battery died at some point so I wasn't able to record the monstorous speeds between them.

Great company, good weather and a lovely selection of pubs - a splendid evening indeed :D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1039 on: 03 June, 2010, 12:12:45 pm »
The Garmin battery died at some point so I wasn't able to record the monstorous speeds between them.

I recorded 14.0mph for the night, although that did include the scary section along the A138 where I went as fast as humanly possible to get off there before I crapped myselfas quickly as I could.

(I might have had a go at the Army&Navy flyover, but 1. I wasn't going that way and 2. It appeared to be closed to outbound traffic at the time).

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1040 on: 03 June, 2010, 12:29:42 pm »

spot the difference

« Reply #1041 on: 03 June, 2010, 12:44:45 pm »
(I might have had a go at the Army&Navy flyover, but 1. I wasn't going that way and 2. It appeared to be closed to outbound traffic at the time).

This has been discussed here before. When I'm allowed to ride a bike again, I shall tackle that fuck on my fixer, hooning down from Gt Baddow along the dual c and wanging it straight over the flyover. Obviously it's "cars only" but I don't do rulz  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1042 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:59:57 pm »
Shocking. You should all be ashamed  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1043 on: 09 June, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »
spot the difference

Excellent! ... I may swipe that for avatar material.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1044 on: 09 June, 2010, 12:07:45 pm »
BTW - just a quick note to say I will not be out to play tonight --- I have way too much fettling to do on my Globe City in preparation for a secret mission at the weekend nothing in particular.

(Unless I decide to ride it a short distance, say 5.73 miles, to test my fettles once finished... but I won't be setting off until late in that case.)

« Reply #1045 on: 09 June, 2010, 12:33:32 pm »
It makes me laugh how this endeavour has basically turned into an Essex Wednesday Night Ride to the Pub. I wish I had been out last Wednesday now, but I'd just got back from a four day birthday bender in the West Country and had to contend with the inevitable return to work the next day.

I can't be bothered with Little Totham tonight, so have a nice time whoever is going - and do come back with more anecdotes please!

« Reply #1046 on: 09 June, 2010, 12:47:13 pm »
I wont be out either as you are all a bad influence.

« Reply #1047 on: 09 June, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »
Actually Oaky & Chief-  I have news you may be interested in. My clearing, which as you are aware, is unfenced, was mown by the landlord for Open Farm Sunday last weekend.

« Reply #1048 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:00:10 pm »
 :o

« Reply #1049 on: 09 June, 2010, 01:26:59 pm »
Is the hedge laid around the under croft?