Author Topic: Close passes  (Read 15400 times)

Davef

Re: Close passes
« Reply #125 on: 30 March, 2021, 10:32:01 pm »
Yeah well I remember your input on the covid threads a year ago, so the notion of you lecturing me on what constitutes anti-social behaviour is more than a little amusing .
Is that what they call deflection ? Do remind me, all I can remember is you learning the meaning of the word fomite soon after using it a couple of times.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #126 on: 31 March, 2021, 01:51:44 am »
I'm going to visit adamski at some point in the near future (Hadleigh).  We'll circle round you shouting "hello Tim!" through megaphones

Do say hello if you're coming over. I'm not far from Hadleigh. As kind of indicated above, I can't expect or promise to ride with you, but it would be good to say hello. And then, of course, run you over with some outrageously large SUV or otherwise humiliate you for... being you. I will, of course, defend my old friend RB to the hilt, so prepare for gunfights at dawn. Or something like that. I will possibly even slap you with a wet fish.

« Reply #127 on: 31 March, 2021, 06:11:54 am »
I'll come prepared, don't worry.

« Reply #128 on: 31 March, 2021, 06:25:11 am »
Yeah well I remember your input on the covid threads a year ago, so the notion of you lecturing me on what constitutes anti-social behaviour is more than a little amusing .
Is that what they call deflection ? Do remind me, all I can remember is you learning the meaning of the word fomite soon after using it a couple of times.

What this, you mean?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=115080.msg2492496#msg2492496

Looks like your memory serves you badly. Maybe your memory is attributing chrisbainbridge's quote to me. Or perhaps you didn't understand that my response a few posts later was sarcastic and took it literally.

Anyway, let's get back to you explaining how a cheery "Morning!" is textbook anti-social behaviour.

Davef

« Reply #129 on: 31 March, 2021, 07:37:29 pm »

What this, you mean?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=115080.msg2492496#msg2492496

Looks like your memory serves you badly. Maybe your memory is attributing chrisbainbridge's quote to me. Or perhaps you didn't understand that my response a few posts later was sarcastic and took it literally.

Anyway, let's get back to you explaining how a cheery "Morning!" is textbook anti-social behaviour.
My memory serves me well thanks.

There is one miserable cunt who just scowls (cosplaying kitwanker too) but that just means my hellos have become more exuberant over the years, yes, just for my own petty amusement. 
Saying hello is clearly not antisocial. Not replying is perhaps not sociable but also is not antisocial behaviour. It is the repeatedly doing this “over years” when you know the recipient does not want you to as “he just scowls”, and yet you do this more and more as you say for your “petty amusement”. It is that behaviour I believe is antisocial behaviour.

I guess we will just have to disagree.

« Reply #130 on: 31 March, 2021, 07:48:12 pm »
Lots of assumptions there. I might be the one point of light in his day. The one affirmation of his existence in his otherwise joyless, friendless world. Yes, he can't summon a reply such is his inner despair, but maybe, just maybe, my welcoming smile and breezy "Morning!" is the one thing he looks forward to. 

Come to think of it, I didn't commute in today. Or yesterday. God, what have I done! I must, however fucking lazy I feel in the morning, get on my bike and ride that damned commute. Not for my sake. But for his.

Davef

« Reply #131 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:02:18 pm »
Lots of assumptions there. I might the one point of light in his day. The one affirmation of his existence in his otherwise joyless, friendless world. Yes, he can't summon a reply such is his inner despair, but maybe, just maybe, my welcoming smile and breezy "Morning!" is the one thing he looks forward to. 

Come to think of it, I didn't commute in today. Or yesterday. God, what have I done! I must, however fucking lazy I feel in the morning, get on my bike and ride that damned commute. Not for my sake. But for his.
Perhaps he is scowling sarcastically.

« Reply #132 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:05:21 pm »
Maybe he is a perambulating modern art installation entitled 'Alienation'

ian

« Reply #133 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:20:45 pm »
Are you sure you were really watching those facial expressions? I mean, you may have been watching, you know, while doing something else.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #134 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:24:17 pm »
Maybe he is a perambulating modern art installation entitled 'Alienation'
You heartless bastard Flatus! I know you deliberately timed that so that I would read it when I had a mouth full of tea. A new keyboard is the least you can do for me. Come to think of it, it had better be all you do for me, too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #135 on: 31 March, 2021, 09:27:33 pm »
Oh good, this thread is still going.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #136 on: 31 March, 2021, 10:46:44 pm »
<ironic whoosh>

ian

« Reply #137 on: 01 April, 2021, 09:19:02 am »
But did you say hello as whooshed overhead?

« Reply #138 on: 01 April, 2021, 09:31:43 am »
Different universe, I'm afraid.

I've only got a bicycle. Not a fucking flux capacitor   ;)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #139 on: 01 April, 2021, 04:44:32 pm »
Do say hello if you're coming over. I'm not far from Hadleigh. As kind of indicated above, I can't expect or promise to ride with you, but it would be good to say hello. And then, of course, run you over with some outrageously large SUV or otherwise humiliate you for... being you. I will, of course, defend my old friend RB to the hilt, so prepare for gunfights at dawn. Or something like that. I will possibly even slap you with a wet fish.
Oh wow. that reminds me of the time I got barred from what was then the Brewhouse in Bristol for "making lewd and obscene gestures" at the barman with a 10lb salmon  ;D.

Friendship is not commutative. I appreciate the intent but can defend myself, if needed, thank you  O:-). Recreational fish slapping sounds like an entertaining way to spend an afternoon, however. A bit like jellyfish jousting.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #140 on: 01 April, 2021, 06:03:33 pm »
Going back to the OP's situation, I'm wondering what was the reason for the chain gang's close pass. Did they simply assume that any cyclist displaying a modicum of competence would be used to or at least not disturbed by riding in close proximity at speed?

Or were they not aware of her presence until too late to deviate from their line, perhaps because they were all head down intent on maximum speed? Perhaps the absence of motor traffic meant they didn't feel a need to pay attention (we're not told if this happened on a road or cycle path)?

Or were they enacting the revenge situation? You can imagine it now:
een: "There's that antisocial English female ahead of us."
twee: "She's not English, she's Italian."
drie: "Nonsense! I know for a fact she's from Curacao."
vier: "She swore at me in Korean."
drie: "How do you know it was Korean?"
vier: "She has a DMZ accent."
twee: "She's Italian I tell you. You can tell by the way she rides her bike as if she driving a Fiat."
een: "Enough of this! Wherever she's from, the fact is yesterday she did not return our cheery greeting and so today, she must be taught a lesson. Are you ready numbers? Line astern now!"

(But I think it was more likely the second scenario with shades of the first.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #141 on: 01 April, 2021, 06:06:22 pm »
On the lookout for anyone who gets too close whilst hunched up over their tubing, without even the common decency for a... oh never mind

I wasn't sure if you were looking for a reacharound, but I *do* get the feeling LMT isn't going to offer one without a lot more persuasion.

LMT is probably too busy felching donkeys  ;)

(click to show/hide)

Six years ago almost to the day. Goodness.

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #142 on: 01 April, 2021, 11:11:23 pm »
This topic is less than excellent.
It will be locked if excellence is not resumed.

LMT

« Reply #143 on: 01 April, 2021, 11:14:10 pm »
On the lookout for anyone who gets too close whilst hunched up over their tubing, without even the common decency for a... oh never mind

I wasn't sure if you were looking for a reacharound, but I *do* get the feeling LMT isn't going to offer one without a lot more persuasion.

LMT is probably too busy felching donkeys  ;)

(click to show/hide)

Oh dear, accusing me of beastiality. For the record this post has been reported to the mods, I drew a line under this thread a couple of days ago but you still mention me by name - rent free for sure.

Off the back of the above why should me or anyone else take notice of anything you say? cba, I don't argue with idiots.