Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338763 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #725 on: 18 September, 2019, 04:56:35 pm »
For anyone who doesn't know how to make VV public, you can go to the Update Tab, show options and check the "share my data with anyone" box. 

Your name will then be hyperlinked on all of the leaderboards.

The Strava Club to join is

https://www.strava.com/clubs/RideEveryTile

« Reply #726 on: 18 September, 2019, 05:12:30 pm »
I have just signed up for this as some of 'my' tiles need colouring in.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #727 on: 19 September, 2019, 09:54:55 am »
That sailing trip has been redacted - it was fun while it lasted.

« Reply #728 on: 20 September, 2019, 09:38:29 am »
this

my cycling experiences have been transformed by the discovery that most surfaces are rideable on any bike, and that 'I want to go down there just because'

You can off road on any bike, it just may be harder on some than on others...

And sometimes the 'going down' is rather too literal...

Dunno what you're talking about...

My quest to connect The North to East Angular has reached Selby. All gets a bit Lincolnshire from here.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #729 on: 20 September, 2019, 10:22:11 pm »
Thanks to Pete Bartlett for a little bit of awesomeness - more details in the Ride Every Tile Strava Group Posts

You can see all tiles that have been logged by anyone in the Ride Every Tile Strava Group who have made their data public here

Can select options for UK, US and Benelux at this stage.

Now we can try to be first to reach some of the "problem" tiles

Ben Lowe likes this and may try to incorporate into the main VeloViewer site

My VV & Strava are set to be public but a lot of my tiles are missing. Also I can't see how to select the different regions  :(

« Reply #730 on: 21 September, 2019, 07:13:55 am »
Thanks to Pete Bartlett for a little bit of awesomeness - more details in the Ride Every Tile Strava Group Posts

You can see all tiles that have been logged by anyone in the Ride Every Tile Strava Group who have made their data public here

My VV & Strava are set to be public but a lot of my tiles are missing. Also I can't see how to select the different regions  :(

The region selection button has been deleted.
You also have to be in the relevant Strava group.

« Reply #731 on: 21 September, 2019, 04:00:11 pm »
I did a 200k DIY yesterday that was a clockwise loop around Northampton.  I plotted a route then looked to see if there were any slight tweaks that I could use to gather tiles.  A stretch on the A6003 down the west of Corby wasn't particularly pleasant but bagged 5 tiles including one that will help my max square.  It was mostly new tiles down past Kettering and Wellingborough and on to Salcey Forest.  With hindsight I could have stuck little spurs all over the route to grab a few extra tiles but I had planned the ride in a rush and that wasn't really the purpose of it.  Back onto more familiar roads with a few new tiles near Towcester then at Preston Capes I joined up with a standard route for the run home.  The one exception was a tiny spur in Ashby St Ledgers.

Uploading to Strava and then Veloviewer showed tiles up from 11817 to 11862 and maximum cluster increased from 2080 to 2130.  I was really surprised at the cluster increase but it was mainly due to that little spur that allowed the cluster to flood down through Daventry to just past Canons Ashby  :)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #732 on: 21 September, 2019, 06:28:39 pm »

The region selection button has been deleted.
You also have to be in the relevant Strava group.

I am a member of ride Every Tile.

For some reason it looked like my data was private on VV when I looked at the club there even though I had 'Share my data with anyone' ticked on the Update page. I unticked that, saved, re-ticked it, saved again and now it looks like my data is public on the club page in VV. However I still can't see a lot of my tiles on Pete Bartlett's site.

« Reply #733 on: 22 September, 2019, 07:48:45 am »
For some reason it looked like my data was private on VV when I looked at the club there even though I had 'Share my data with anyone' ticked on the Update page. I unticked that, saved, re-ticked it, saved again and now it looks like my data is public on the club page in VV. However I still can't see a lot of my tiles on Pete Bartlett's site.[/color]

I think that is because it's not 'live' as such. It relies on Pete compiling the data 'manually' much in the same way as the data here is only periodically updated

https://rideeverytile.com/tiling-records-max-square/

« Reply #734 on: 22 September, 2019, 10:10:08 am »
Just made my data public to get some of those tiles filled in :)

Good to see that nobody has done Osea Island* yet. I need to get that bad boy. Maybe I'll wait until low tide is at a suitable hour and sneak over the causeway under the cover of darkness, James Bond style...

*Apparantly the island is "private". Whatever that means form a legal angle - there is a B & B on there....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #735 on: 22 September, 2019, 12:33:27 pm »
Just made my data public to get some of those tiles filled in :)

Good to see that nobody has done Osea Island* yet. I need to get that bad boy. Maybe I'll wait until low tide is at a suitable hour and sneak over the causeway under the cover of darkness, James Bond style...

*Apparantly the island is "private". Whatever that means form a legal angle - there is a B & B on there....

No need for trespassing, a short (50m out I'd guess) swim West from the coast by the Marconi sailing club (W of St Lawrence) on the mainland would be enough to bag that square.

Alternatively, just go cycling down that road/causeway at appropriate tide time and see what's down there. You don't have to go as far as any buildings to get into the square.

There are going to be loads of squares that have been covered which just aren't available to Pete. I can see quite a few in the SW that I would have covered on various rides/runs/walks and they're not coloured in. A casual look around the SW shows that the SW Coastal Path has very poor coverage and that's been walked to death by thousands.

I'm not going to make my data public enough for it to be included in this.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #736 on: 22 September, 2019, 06:47:59 pm »
... swim West from the coast by the Marconi sailing club...

I hadn't considered swimming! Would have to save it as a Ride or Hike though, I think...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #737 on: 22 September, 2019, 07:22:02 pm »
... swim West from the coast by the Marconi sailing club...

I hadn't considered swimming! Would have to save it as a Ride or Hike though, I think...

Why? VV takes swims too as they're human powered. Here's one tile I've got thanks to some open water swimming (Shepperton Lakes):-

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #738 on: 22 September, 2019, 10:09:49 pm »

Why? VV takes swims too as they're human powered. Here's one tile I've got thanks to some open water swimming (Shepperton Lakes):-

Yep. Takes kayaking too. I got one square by kayaking into the middle of a lake.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #739 on: 23 September, 2019, 05:43:58 pm »

Had a bit of an offroad adventure South east of the city, added 9 tiles, but increased my cluster by 18 to 612. Still a crazy cluster to total number of tiles ratio (612:9287).

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #740 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:13:57 pm »
Right then. Being a nitwit I accidentally hit revoke permission between Strava and Veloviewer (nearly everytime I go to veloviewer it asks about allowing Strava access not seeming to remember I've said it's fine).

Now I can't get VV to connect to Strava. Does anyone know how I fix it?

ETA: Asked on the VV facebook page. It was as simpe as logging out and back in again and it reasked for permission. The fact I didn't think if that is rather daft  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #741 on: 03 October, 2019, 06:30:22 pm »
Thanks for looking at my "everybody heatmap" folks. I know it is not perfect by any means: 1) you have to make your rides fully public so that I can see what tiles you have been to. Then after you've done that 2) I have to do an offline process to download everyone's data and merge into one map, so you don't get instant gratification of getting the map filled in. Then 3) the number of squares filled in is so massive that web browsers start to creak with the amount of memory needed to display it.

On the other hand, it is quite a fun map to look at.

I'm hopeful that Ben will provide an API that will fix some/all of these issues, but if you have other ideas on where to go with it, I'd be interested to hear.

Also, are there any other "impossible" squares that should be coloured in red?

Thanks,
Pete

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #742 on: 04 October, 2019, 07:01:08 pm »
... 2) I have to do an offline process to download everyone's data and merge into one map, so you don't get instant gratification of getting the map filled in...

Cheers Pete  :thumbsup: Scotland's a wee bit greener now!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #743 on: 05 October, 2019, 12:21:55 am »
...Also, are there any other "impossible" squares that should be coloured in red?...

What's the definition of an "impossible" square?

« Reply #744 on: 05 October, 2019, 12:12:54 pm »
...Also, are there any other "impossible" squares that should be coloured in red?...

What's the definition of an "impossible" square?

How about: One where you have to break the law to get there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #745 on: 06 October, 2019, 07:07:15 pm »
I've had the ability to record an activity (just going for a walk) in one particular UK square that is completely off limits to the general public. One that you really couldn't get via trespassing either.

I wasn't breaking the law by being there, but I'm sure that recording the activity and uploading to Strava could have easily triggered some problems for me if I had done it especially as I wasn't able to carry a mobile phone with me at the time (but they weren't concerned with my Garmin watch).

(Kind of similar to this kerfuffle a few years ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42853072)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #746 on: 06 October, 2019, 10:06:46 pm »
Somewhere like Foulness Island could fit into this category.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #747 on: 07 October, 2019, 12:39:05 pm »
I've had the ability to record an activity (just going for a walk) in one particular UK square that is completely off limits to the general public. One that you really couldn't get via trespassing either.

I wasn't breaking the law by being there, but I'm sure that recording the activity and uploading to Strava could have easily triggered some problems for me if I had done it especially as I wasn't able to carry a mobile phone with me at the time (but they weren't concerned with my Garmin watch).

(Kind of similar to this kerfuffle a few years ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42853072)

Interesting. I boobed by calling squares "impossible" in this thread. On the heatmap webpage I merely called them "hard". Hard is a better word than impossible because for almost any square there is /someone/ who has the right to go there (e.g. military staff).

Maybe what we should be defining the difficulty of a square by how many people have been there. Nothing is impossible .. just "not yet visited".

« Reply #748 on: 07 October, 2019, 01:21:38 pm »
Turns out that I hadn't set my data to public properly. Have now done that (and paid for another year's subscription).
(I've got a pair of remote Munros that I went to at the beginning of September as a useful check on whether it is likely that my data is included.)

« Reply #749 on: 07 October, 2019, 01:44:39 pm »
WOW! Jonathan France is summink else!

I've been beavering away and was pleased with my 24x24 (all time). But 101x101 is just incredible.